mmiszczuk
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Odroid C2 still sux?

Unread post by mmiszczuk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:28 am

Hello.
As soon as the C2 odroid came out, I bought it. However, poor performance and low software stability have discouraged me from using this equipment. After a long time, I got out of the closet and checked how it looks now.
Uploaded the latest ubuntu + all patches.
Chrome cuts on youtube - low performance.
kodi opens smoothly, but only in the list for the election is 360p (no options, but stream). Total lime. Can anything be done with this junk?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Re: Odroid C2 still sux?

Unread post by meveric » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:02 am

The overall performance of the C2 is "decent" not great but ok.
Up to 1080p desktop resolution is something that you can work with.
Using 4k for a desktop will most likely result in a terrible user experience.

Chromium runs youtube videos up to 720p, but it's better to use Kodi instead.
Kodi can run anything up to 4k H265 either per local files (or in your LAN) and in some cases even streamed over the internet.

The gigabit Ethernet, makes it a ok-ish NAS, although it falls short due to missing USB 3.0 which limits the speed of any external harddrive greatly.

Gaming performance is a mixed thing, there are some dedicated gaming images running a version of retropie which apparently are quite decent.
But falls greatly behind a XU4.
Depending on what you want to do with it, it can be a decent board. Like using it for bit-torrent, or browsing the web and some mild gaming.
But if you're trying to use it for high performance stuff, then the C2 is probably not your friend.

Most people probably use it as a media player or running Android on it, where it can shine.

And no, since I have better options available, the C2 is not on the list of devices I use often, same as the C1 they are pretty much last on the list of devices I use most often.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

mmiszczuk
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by mmiszczuk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:37 am

Odroid is connected to the TV 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. It was to be used to browse the internet and movies (youtube, stream). Why do the videos placed on youtube up to 4k resolution, kodi load the stream 360p? (in the options is set 720p / 1080p) It looks terrible. I do not even think about games (even emulation of atari or amiga).

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Unread post by meveric » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:33 am

mmiszczuk wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:37 am
Odroid is connected to the TV 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. It was to be used to browse the internet and movies (youtube, stream).
Movies over browser is probably not working very good, but Kodi "normally" should work, depending on what image and Kodi version you use.
mmiszczuk wrote:
Why do the videos placed on youtube up to 4k resolution, kodi load the stream 360p? (in the options is set 720p / 1080p) It looks terrible.
I think that is something that youtube handles out depending on your network connection speed. If your speed is low it uses lower resolution.
Maybe you have a proxy and youtube "downgrades" your connection speed, but to be honest, I never had issues with that. Kodi was always playing at 720p for me.
I just tried on my C2 and was able to run my favorite 4k testing video in 720p on the C2 (search for "bermuda 4k" should be the first entry flying over bermuda...)
mmiszczuk wrote:
I do not even think about games (even emulation of atari or amiga).
"even emulation of atari or amiga".... well that's an understatement... atari and amiga are NOT EASY to emulate, and are very CPU intensive.
If you concentrate on 8, and 16 bit consoles, such as NES, SNES, TurboGrafx, Sega Mastersystem, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, or arcade systems such as CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, NeoGeo, FBA, Game Boy Color/Advance, ScummVM, etc.
These should run fine, but others may not work fast enough.
There are some decent Linux ports that work as well, RVGL (Revolt), Alien vs. Predator, CorsixTH (Theme Hospital), Hurrican (Turrican clone), ufoai was running surprisingly well, or Quake 2 should also work fine.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Return to “Ubuntu”