Ogo Teuvyl, large scale action RPG

Iulius
languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: Odroid Go
Has thanked: 0

Ogo Teuvyl, large scale action RPG

Unread post by Iulius » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi,

i'd like to present the game i've been working on the last weeks and month.

Video Link
http://www.gp-rc.de/OdroidGo/ogo_teuvyl_m.webm

OGo Teuvyl is a action rpg, that could be described as a mix of Diablo, Zelda and Gauntlet.
The player must conquer a world full of monsters, learn various spells and find valueable items.

Features:
- Experience/Level System with Statuspoints and Skillpoints for 28 different spells.
- 4 different areas (grassland, desert, jungle, hell), each with a size of 1600(!) rooms, randomly placed for high replay value
- 17 different caves to explore
- 12 different enemies + bosses
- 50+ different items with random stats
- Playtime is approximatly 5 hours
- day/night cycle with different shades and line of view system
- use the compass to find caves, where new spells can be found
- defeat the endboss of each area(found in the outer edges of the map) to access the next area
- optimized for the Odroid Go: full 60 fps game

Download:
http://www.gp-rc.de/OdroidGo/OGO_Teuvyl.7z

How-to-play (Win32):

The game comes with a simulator, making it able to play it complely on a Windows PC.
Unzip the package, then start SimulatorWin32/Release/SimulatorWin32.exe
Keys are WSDA for (DPAD), KL for (B)(A)
UIOP for (Start) (Select) ...

How-to-play (OGo):

Use the OGO_Teuvyl.ino to build and download with Arduino Studio.
Note: because of flaws(bugs + low performance) in the original Display.cpp, you need to exchange these.
Instructions are found in: changedlibrary\readme.txt
BEWARE: save your old library files!

If someone tell me how, i will also provide a binary for OGo.
Last edited by Iulius on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Iulius for the post (total 2):
ripper121 (Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:45 pm) • krang (Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 pm)

Paspartout
ODROIDs: Odroid go

Re: Ogo Teuvyl, large scale action RPG

Unread post by Paspartout » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Wow that looks really nice from the video. I am looking forward to give it a try.
If someone tell me how, i will also provide a binary for OGo.
There is a tutorial on how to make a .fw binary file from ardiuno projects here: https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go/arduino_app

The guide assumes a linux system though. If you can't figure it out I can give the build process a try.

Iulius

Unread post by Iulius » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:47 am

I probably can't follow that process, as it requires a sd-card.
My game currently runs fully from the internal flash, i don't even have a sdcard for my OGo.

Nemo1984
languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go

Unread post by Nemo1984 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:48 am

You don't require a sd card to compile the .fw, and it would allow those with sd cards to easily flash it and test it.

I tried to compile it but it exits with an error "gamedrawer.h" no such file or directory.

EDIT: I managed to compile it, and put it in .fw, but it just gives a black screen. Maybe I have to include one of the folders in the .fw, not sure how to do this though.

JT Cook
languages_spoken: english
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by JT Cook » Mon May 20, 2019 4:52 am

Very nice! I finally got around to testing this out and even though a little rough shows some promise. So far my biggest obstacle is the game needs a little direction. Some in game documentation and direction would help as I am wondering through the game with little idea of what does what or what I do. I think once that is done, the game will be more playable (as the game itself feels like it is probably pretty solid). Also the fog of war stuff where it blacks out part of the screen until you can see it can probably be done away with. In RPGs it makes more sense because you are scrolling through the world, however in a single screen setup it seems unneeded.

Someone mentioned how the game has a black screen when loaded up. I ran into the same thing when building stuff from the Adruino environment. Fortunately this is remedied by turning the unit off and back on. I have kind of poked around myself, but have found a fix, but from what I can tell is everything is running, it just cannot grab control of the screen. There has to be something the Go menu display drivers are doing to kick it back on that the Arduino ones are not.

Lastly the PC sample does not work because it was compiled in debug mode instead of release mode. In debug mode it requires that same version of visual studio to be installed (which makes sense because debug mode works within visual studio so you can break and step through the code). So do that next time and they will just need the Visual C++ redist files for whatever version you are building it in.

So good so far, keep it up!

Aleksi
languages_spoken: english, Finnish

Unread post by Aleksi » Thu May 30, 2019 5:06 pm

Did you never got it working? :)

JT Cook
languages_spoken: english

Unread post by JT Cook » Fri May 31, 2019 4:39 am

I was able to get the game working on the Odroid Go (not on the PC), however I am not 100% sure how to play it. I can move around and such, but I think I need some instructions.

Iulius

Unread post by Iulius » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:43 am

Wow, i never thought somebody would try it after that time.

I will provide a Release Version for PC tomorrow.

For description:
Well, it's a RPG. You kill things, you get Exp, You get higher Stats, stronger Skills, stronger gear, stronger mobs....

Short instruction:
- Go out and find caves. The compass will lead your way to the entrance.
- Each cave has a master chest, containing a new, random spell
- Go to the upper left edge of the map: there is the Endboss for the Grasslands.
- As soon as you kill the boss, you can go to the Desert with a boss in the lower left edge, and so on

You can also try the more polished original version, i created for Browsers, it has more descriptions:
https://www.kongregate.com/games/Ivlivs/teuvyl

Also the fog of war stuff where it blacks out part of the screen until you can see it can probably be done away with
Oh man, that was the coolest part when i finally had it working and running at 60fps together with several torches giving light :P

I could build in an option to turn it off, but it has huge impacts on balancing, e.g. you can kill mobs that cannot reach you.

edit: update done!
The new release version should run on any Windows without the needs of additional files

Return to “Projects”