Odroid XU 4 Playonlinux problem

field3d
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Odroid XU 4 Playonlinux problem

Unread post by field3d » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Hello I have an Odroid XU 4 with Ubuntu 18.04 and each time I want to install a .exe of windows and creates the virtual image it says the errors. I installed with sudo apt install playonlinux. For example, I download an exe called Adiirc is a free irc client application. Then in playonlinux I went to install create new virtual image and says:

https://pastebin.com/fRH1wzjd

If I give the command I have:

sudo lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

What could be the problem? Or how can be solved? I heard it can run in arm but exactly what is needed to do?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Re: Odroid XU 4 Playonlinux problem

Unread post by meveric » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:10 pm

You're trying to install x86 binaries on a armhf (arm 32 bit) image, they are not compatible and it won't work.
You would need a software like ExaGear which emulates an x86 CPU to use this.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:35 pm

Yes I see that but they don’t sell anymore. Is possible find or another similar application? I see here that works:

https://wiki.winehq.org/ARM

And other persons made work in raspberry, including in XU 4 but posts are old and who knows if still apply for 18.04.

Thank you

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, N2

Unread post by meveric » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:05 am

wine stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.

Which means, ONLY cause it wine for ARM exists doesn't mean it enables you to magically run Windows x86 programs on your system.

Wine is a "interpreter" it reads the binary and translates what the binary would normally do on the system.
If a Windows binary says "open a window and draw the following picture" it will translate the same thing to Linux where also Windows and pictures exists and does the same thing here (simplified speaking).
Issue is as it's only TRANSLATING and not EMULATING, that means a Windows x86 BINARY will only run on an x86 wine version.
A Windows x86_64 (amd64) binary will only run on a x86_64 (amd64) version of wine.

So since you're looking to run a "ARM" version of wine guess what type of Windows BINARY you need to run it?
If you guessed "an ARM Windows binary" then you guessed correct, if you thought it would run "x86" Windows binaries, that you thought wrong!

And believe me you have a very hard time finding a "ARM Windows binary" as all you programs and games that you have at home are x86 or x86_64 Windows binaries :)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:44 am

Oh I see but any idea if one can find ExaGear yet? Is so sad they went out of business.

field3d

Unread post by field3d » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:45 am

Or other similar than ExaGear if exist?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:09 am

ExaGear was very unique and had very impressive performance.
There's very little in comparison at the moment.
Box86 is a x86 emulator for arm in the making but it doesn't support wine yet.
qemu can be used as well, but it's very slow.

So no I don't think there's any alternative at the moment.

Return to “Ubuntu”