disk destroyer again

oldchap
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

disk destroyer again

Unread post by oldchap » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:42 pm

I was copying an 64 arm OS to a micro SD card using disk destroyer. It wrote most of it but some files had zero bytes, not copied properly.
I thought its time to zero the card, but forgot to delete the petition that was created. "dd" got through the exercise but at the end it said no space left on device. But it didnt "dd" at all, it was still all there and there was a .REC file placed on the micro SD card as well. Now the whole card it is really locked as a read only file system and nothing I can find on the net can touch it.
Anyone know a command that will unlock the micro sd card and blow that sda1 petition out of the water then dust it up some.

Is there a chmod or chown command that works on a devise, petitions, I can only find commands that work on files only.
Here is what I have tried.

fdisk: cannot open /dev/sdb: Read-only file system

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=2
dd: failed to open /dev/sdb: Read-only file system

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=sync,notrunc
dd: failed to open /dev/sdb: Read-only file system

chmod 777 /mnt/usb1
chmod: cannot access /mnt/usb1: No such file or directory

chown root /mnt/sdb1
chown: changing ownership of /mnt/sdb1: Read-only file syste

hdparm -r0 /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb:
setting readonly to 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
/mnt/sdb1:
setting readonly to 0 (off)
BLKROSET failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
BLKROGET failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

mke2fs /dev/sdb
mke2fs 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
Found a dos partition table in /dev/sdb
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
/dev/sdb: Read-only file system while setting up superblock

# dosfsck -a /dev/sdb1
fsck.fat 3.0.28 (2015-05-16)
0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
Automatically removing dirty bit.
Reclaimed 150627 unused clusters (616968192 bytes) in 2 chains.
Performing changes.
/dev/sdb1: 177 files, 156852/163260 clusters
Writing 512 bytes at 0 failed: Operation not permitted
Writing 32 bytes at 1327712 failed: Operation not permitted
Writing 32 bytes at 1328672 failed: Operation not permitted

even tried to write a grub backup to it to get rid of the petition
cat/sdb_mbr_bak > /dev/sdb
sh: /dev/sdb: Read-only file system

fsck.msdos -aw /dev/sdb1
fsck.fat 3.0.28 (2015-05-16)
0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
Automatically removing dirty bit.
Write 512 bytes at 0:Operation not permitted

mount -orw,remount /dev/sdb1
mount: cannot remount /dev/sdb1 read-write, is write-protected

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Re: disk destroyer again

Unread post by mad_ady » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:48 pm

If you didn't dd the wrong disk it just means the sd card died and its controller is preventing further writes to it. Happened to me with a cheap usb stick. No os can write to it and you should either throw it away or look at a low level solution that can talk to that controller.
It isn't dd's fault, but the sd's (would have happened anyway).

oldchap

Unread post by oldchap » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:35 pm

I can mount the micro SD card, open overlays, cmdline.txt, config.txt, initrd, lisence.broadcom, to see whats inside them, if its controllers are knackered why can I open them to show whats inside them. I thought tkaiser would know this one, he's the drives man, calling tkaiser, your needed here.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:49 pm

Yes, the card is stuck in read-only (forced by the controller) so that you can get your data, but it won't write any more to it because it detected something to be broken. It's a failsafe mechanism.

oldchap

Unread post by oldchap » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:12 pm

OK mad-ady I shall bin the micro SD card. I wont be replacing it, I am waiting for Odroid to give up on intel and put a Ryzen 3 on the H2 then I wont need a micro SD card. How long do you reckon I will be waiting. Might buy a N2 if Odroid comes up with a screen brightness applet to tone down the TV screen.

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2 @15 V D.C ,,...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread post by phaseshifter » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:55 am

your screen should have a brightness control of some description...
if it does not maybe you should think about replacing the screen for a new model....
is it that old crt thing from mem..cough up for a nice "led" hdmi 1080 screen..you'll see things you never noticed before....
and your eyes will be thankful...crt`s are just x-ray machines...not nice but nasty..
if i`m right it`s your crt screen that the issue is...take it to a service center or get a service person out ..get them to read this thread...
and get the service person to adjust the brightness on the "EHT" transformer..if i am correct it should have two adjustment`s pot`s on it....one for focus and one for brightness
so basically the screen voltage if lowered will turn your brightness down..

did you have it serviced..
it may have had the screen voltage turned up..
it`s common practice that when a set leaves the service center it should be bright...
they can only test what voltage and refer to the service manual specs as to what it should be set to but often there is also an internal pot on the circuit board that can adjust the brightness..
not all set`s have this on board pot ..
a HV probe would be required if they were to test the screen anode voltage....
turning screen anode voltage down wont incur any x-ray..etc..etc...if it is increased from the eht transformer then there is risc but in your case you will need to decrease it ..hence your bright screen....i am shure i went through this with you in another thred...but i may not have been so descriptive ...
.end my 20 cents worth...many years working with crt screens...
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

oldchap

Unread post by oldchap » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 pm

phaseshifter
My screen is 3 year old flat screen TV. Has 3 brightness levels, high medium, low, but low level is not low enough, not much lower than medium.
Not much difference between the three of them. After all it is a TV meant to be viewed from across the room not from 2 foot 6 away. On my laptop I tone it down to 30%. When I connect the laptop to HDMI screen brightness does not work on the TV. So when I order a N2 I am going to order a composite cable as well just to see if I can get screen brightness working. That is after I get Puppy linux for Pi 3B working on an N2. Have to wait another week for a new Visa card to arrive before I can finish signing up for paypal.

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2 @15 V D.C ,,...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread post by phaseshifter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:07 pm

do you have

"backlit" adjustment

do you have "gamma" adjustment

do you have a selection of "user" settings

pls can you post me the make and model..if you don't want to post it here then send me an PM...

i`ll see what i can hash out 4 you..if u wish...
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

oldchap

Unread post by oldchap » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:35 am

phaseshifter,
TV set is a knock off of samsung pirate job, 24 inch 4:3 screen, $50, 3 year old and going great. No tag on the back because it is a pirate job. There is no 'backlit', and I think that is what I use in Puppy linux. Its called 'laptop.brightness' in Puppy. However there is 'user' mode with contrast brightness colour tint sharpness, all adjustable. If I take the brightness down to 30 like I do on the laptop everything is to dark. So it must be 'backlit' that I am after and it being a TV thats not going to happen. There is some settings in 'user' colour temp set to 'cool' and picture mode set to 'mild' sets everything to 40 so thats the best compromise I can have to tone it down a bit. It is the pages that are all white that give off the most glare that burns my eyes.
Just for an experiment I bought a video cable and connected the laptop to the TV by the video port but same as HDMI the laptop.brightness dont work on the TV. Still thinking 'backlit' is laptop. brightness in Puppy linux.
Thank for having me look for 'user' mode, I have never been in there looking around before.

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:50 am

It is the pages that are all white that give off the most glare that burns my eyes.
I think it's the CRT tube that's burning your eyes :D
Refresh rate for those things is awful as well...

Return to “Issues”