Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Post Reply
User avatar
Strykar
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:58 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by Strykar » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:59 pm

I'm looking to build a 2 drive NAS (Four H.265 camera streams via SMB/CIFS) and the Cloudshell2 seems perfect for my use case with SSDs.
I have some Qs after reading some posts here:

1. Why is Cloudshell2 marked Obsolete on HK's site? Is there a new version in the works, perhaps compatible with the N2?
2. If I setup hardware RAID 1, will I be able to pull individual disk SMART stats? It's not clear to me from the posts what the firmware bug exactly is.
3. If it is obsolete, would a HC2 with a JMicron JMB572 (1 to 2) SATA port expander work? Would it's performance be worse than the Cloudshell?
4. Would using the N2 and 2 USB 3.0 to SATA3 adapters allow for fastest RAID1 performance over the Cloudshell2?

User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
Posts: 32121
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 292 times
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by odroid » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:41 pm

We are still selling CS2.
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/cloudsh ... smokyblue/
We are loving AreaScout's beautiful arts on the LCD too.
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=33860

We have no plan to make a new version nor N2 compatible one either.
We will consider it next year.

User avatar
memeka
Posts: 4327
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 10:22 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 15 times
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by memeka » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:58 pm

4. No, both xu4 and n2 have one usb3 host. (Actually xu4 has 2, but one is used by the gb Ethernet).

User avatar
Strykar
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:58 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by Strykar » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:26 am

odroid wrote:We are still selling CS2.
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/cloudsh ... smokyblue/
We are loving AreaScout's beautiful arts on the LCD too.
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=33860

We have no plan to make a new version nor N2 compatible one either.
We will consider it next year.
@odroid Thanks for clearing that up. Could you confirm I can use RAID1 via UASP and still get SMART data via smartmontools? This is important as the NAS will be in a remote location.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk


User avatar
odroid
Site Admin
Posts: 32121
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 292 times
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by odroid » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:05 am

As far as I know, JMS561 HW RAID modes support the UASP. But SMART monitoring is blocked once you enable the RAID mode.
We've used the CS2 without RAID and there was an HC2 remotely for daily regular backup via Rsync for better data safety.

User avatar
AreaScout
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:05 am
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 47 times
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by AreaScout » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:42 pm

odroid wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:05 am
As far as I know, JMS561 HW RAID modes support the UASP. But SMART monitoring is blocked once you enable the RAID mode.
Yes that's true, with RAID the OS sees only one disk and SMART data i.e with smartctl can only get data from that single disk, but the controller has a ATA passthrough mode in which you can switch it and ask for smart data on the second disk

However I have to test this further ! :ugeek:

RG

caldi81
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:22 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by caldi81 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:26 am

odroid wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:41 pm
We are still selling CS2.
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/cloudsh ... smokyblue/
We are loving AreaScout's beautiful arts on the LCD too.
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=33860

We have no plan to make a new version nor N2 compatible one either.
We will consider it next year.
Hi, when will be available? Now it seems out of stock...
Thank you

charles
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:36 pm
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by charles » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:14 am

We've started selling again now, but we don't have much in stock.

caldi81
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:22 am
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by caldi81 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:50 am

charles wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:14 am
We've started selling again now, but we don't have much in stock.
Just purchased. Thank you!

FbS
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:08 pm
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by FbS » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 pm

ahem...

Seems there was really not much in stock as it is unavailable again.

Any timeframe to see it back ?

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 154 times
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by tobetter » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:48 pm

FbS wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:34 pm
ahem...

Seems there was really not much in stock as it is unavailable again.

Any timeframe to see it back ?
I think it's being in stock soon, let me double check tomorrow.

FbS
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:08 pm
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by FbS » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Well...It's still not back...

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 154 times
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by tobetter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:40 pm

FbS wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:37 pm
Well...It's still not back...
Probably, it would be available early next week.

FbS
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:08 pm
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by FbS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:16 pm

HK website wrote:CloudShell 2 Case2 for XU4 SmokyBlue has been removed from your cart because it can no longer be purchased. Please contact us if you need assistance.
Doesn't seem to be back soon.....

User avatar
tobetter
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1
Location: Paju, South Korea
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 154 times
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by tobetter » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:29 pm

FbS wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:16 pm
HK website wrote:CloudShell 2 Case2 for XU4 SmokyBlue has been removed from your cart because it can no longer be purchased. Please contact us if you need assistance.
Doesn't seem to be back soon.....
CloudShell 2 case might be available from next week.

FbS
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:08 pm
languages_spoken: english
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by FbS » Wed May 15, 2019 8:00 pm

And arrived home :-). Very neat thing, so small compared to the Netgear Stora I'm currently using...

User avatar
AreaScout
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:05 am
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, HiFi Shield, XU4, XU4Q,
N1, Go, VU5A, Show2, CloudShell2,
H2, N2, VU7A, VuShell
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 47 times
Contact:

Re: Buying a Cloudshell in 2019 Qs

Unread post by AreaScout » Thu May 16, 2019 4:37 am

FbS wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:00 pm
And arrived home :-). Very neat thing, so small compared to the Netgear Stora I'm currently using...
Have fun with it :)

Post Reply

Return to “CloudShell”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest