CoreELEC

rooted
languages_spoken: english

Re: CoreELEC

Post by rooted »

I need meson_ir I don't need lirc which is somehow interfering with ir-keytable.

It's just a bug I found when trying to get it to work, so no hurry. Enjoy your holiday

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Post by phaseshifter »

i`m using the original h-k remote control and n_2 and Netflix on kodi...new i`d find a good reason to put it to work one day..the time has come for using it
what a blast,,,
any way it`s been fun working out what it can and cannot do...i hope H-K can bring out a new remote that has more Buttons/options..but the hk one is a joy to use on core/elect...phase...///...
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

LostMyDroid
ODROIDs: XU3 - Lite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LostMyDroid »

Trying to play back an avi file but screen goes black and only way out is to press stop button on remote. There is no indication that the avi file is playing. I tried the same file on my Kodi on my Linux computer (intel CPU) and it plays fine. Is this a known issue with these files?

cdu13a
ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1, N2

Post by cdu13a »

avi is just a container format, will need to know more about the file and also debug logs to be able to be able to determine why it doesn't play.

In Settings/System/Logging enable Debug logging and component specific logging. Specify that you want FFmpeg and Video component. Reboot, try to play the file, then go to CoreELEC settings System/Submit Log and Upload Kodi Log, then post the provided URL here. After this you can disable the debug and component specific logging.

If you can provide a link to a small sample of the file that won't play for the the developers to try and reproduce your problem with that would be helpful as well. Just a 5 to 10 second sample is good if you can. Note samples larger then that tend to be hard to manage(to big of a file) and are problematic in other ways if it is commercial content(TV show or Movie).

LostMyDroid
ODROIDs: XU3 - Lite

Post by LostMyDroid »

http://ix.io/2026

I will try and get a snip of the video tomorrow. ...Thanks

EDIT:Rerecorded avi file as mk4 file and it works now

phaseshifter
C1+,,C-2,,,

Post by phaseshifter »

can anybody tell/help me to get Firefox to work with this system..???
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

rooted

Post by rooted »

I don't know a way to use Firefox on CoreELEC, there are some browser type plugins for Kodi but I've never used them.

Sholander
ODROIDs: ODROID N2

Post by Sholander »

phaseshifter wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:21 am
can anybody tell/help me to get Firefox to work with this system..???
No way to get Firefox on CoreElec. You need to install a version of Linux or Android to get Firefox on N2...

phaseshifter
C1+,,C-2,,,

Post by phaseshifter »

would core-elec run just as well on a 2 gig version of the N-2...or would it be pushing limit`s memory wise..thx ..phase..

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, C4, N1, N2, H2, Go, Go Advance

Post by mad_ady »

For regular usage (kodi/games) 2G is enough. But since it has docker you can start a lot of containers and those will use up your ram.

leo5111

Post by leo5111 »

any idea how good deinterlaceing of 480p stuff is vs c2?

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

Hmm, 480p stuff is not interlaced, so why would it need deinterlacing...

cdu13a

Post by cdu13a »

The new 9.2.1 stable release of CoreELEC is now available.

For everyone on the previous stable release with auto updates turned on, you probably already have gotten the update notification.

For those that would rather manually update or want to do a new install the new stable version can be downloaded here

The release notes for the 9.2.1 release can be read here

NOTE about updates:
Just a reminder when downloading the update files, If you have an Odroid-N2 you want to use "amlogic-ng" update files, otherwise if you have a C2 you want to use the "amlogic" update files.

NOTE about new install:
I've noticed a few new users get confused about the mention of dtb files and the "copy device tree" step of the install instructions. This part of the install instructions is only relevant to generic amlogic android devices, the CoreELEC images for the Odroid-N2 and Ordroid-C2 have this step already completed for you and come ready to be used. So all you have to do to install is:
1.) Download the CoreELEC image. (The download helper will help you get the right one)
2.) Burn the downloaded image to your sd card or emmc module.
3.) Attach your sd-card or emmc module to your Odroid, then power on your Odroid.
4.) Add your media and any preferred configuration for your intended use.
5.) Sit back and relax with a snack and a drink, and enjoy using your new setup. (The most important step. :) )

TuberViejuner
languages_spoken: english, spanish, catalan
ODROIDs: odroid n2

Post by TuberViejuner »

What do you think about emuelec?

cdu13a

Post by cdu13a »

TuberViejuner wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:35 pm
What do you think about emuelec?
EmuELEC is great, if you are interested in retro gaming and emulation.

It's based on CoreELEC, but instead of using Kodi as it's interface it uses Emulationstation and has a lot of emulators and optimizations for emulation, instead of the optimizations that CoreELEC has for video playback.

JusticeHK
ODROIDs: N2

Post by JusticeHK »

Do you think it would be possible to update the Realtek RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU/RTL8814AU drivers to something a bit more modern on the next CE release? I think in CE 9.2.1, we're using version 5.1.5, which from my knowledge isn't the best. Anything prior to 5.2.20 has apparently fixed quite a few bugs and improved performance.

I believe the aircrack-ng repo (https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au/tree/v5.6.4.2) is frequently updating this. If not, anyway an individual user could update the driver manually?

cdu13a

Post by cdu13a »

JusticeHK wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:58 am
Do you think it would be possible to update the Realtek RTL8812AU/RTL8821AU/RTL8814AU drivers to something a bit more modern on the next CE release? I think in CE 9.2.1, we're using version 5.1.5, which from my knowledge isn't the best. Anything prior to 5.2.20 has apparently fixed quite a few bugs and improved performance.

I believe the aircrack-ng repo (https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au/tree/v5.6.4.2) is frequently updating this. If not, anyway an individual user could update the driver manually?
I can look into it.
However a couple questions first.

You have one of these adapters, if so which one?
Is there a specific problem you are having?
Are you able to do some testing if I make a test build?
If you are able to test, which device do you need the test build for the C2 or the N2?

JusticeHK

Post by JusticeHK »

cdu13a wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:02 am
JusticeHK wrote:

I can look into it.

If you are able to test, which device do you need the test build for the C2 or the N2?
1. I have the ASUS USB-AC56 which is based on the RTL8812AU chipset. (If it matters, VID: 0B05, PID: 17D2)

2. I'm not sure if I can attribute it to the driver or to my WAP, but the signal strength is not what I expected it to be. I cannot even use the 5Ghz band because the signal strength is so low (IIRC it's around like -77-80dBm). I've had thoughts about trying to exchange it/pay the difference for the USB-AC68 which is based on the RTL8814AU chipset to see if that improves 5Ghz reception. However, I will say that things have been very stable so far on the 2.4Ghz band and once I figured out issues with my CDN routing, haven't had a video buffer. According to my UniFi controller, signal strength is anywhere from -55 to -65dBm. Last I checked it connected the WAP to the N2 @ 144mbps, which admittedly is still less than the 2.4Ghz band is capable of.

3. I don't have a ton of free time to do testing unfortunately, but I wouldn't mind doing testing for you if it doesn't take up too much time.

4. I'm using the N2 4GB version.

cdu13a

Post by cdu13a »

JusticeHK wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:30 am
cdu13a wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:02 am
JusticeHK wrote:

I can look into it.

1. I have the ASUS USB-AC56 which is based on the RTL8812AU chipset. (If it matters, VID: 0B05, PID: 17D2)

2. I'm not sure if I can attribute it to the driver or to my WAP, but the signal strength is not what I expected it to be. I cannot even use the 5Ghz band because the signal strength is so low (IIRC it's around like -77-80dBm). I've had thoughts about trying to exchange it/pay the difference for the USB-AC68 which is based on the RTL8814AU chipset to see if that improves 5Ghz reception. However, I will say that things have been very stable so far on the 2.4Ghz band and once I figured out issues with my CDN routing, haven't had a video buffer. According to my UniFi controller, signal strength is anywhere from -55 to -65dBm. Last I checked it connected the WAP to the N2 @ 144mbps, which admittedly is still less than the 2.4Ghz band is capable of.

3. I don't have a ton of free time to do testing unfortunately, but I wouldn't mind doing testing for you if it doesn't take up too much time.

4. I'm using the N2 4GB version.
It took a bit of effort but I managed to get the driver from aircrack-ng repo to compile for both 3.14 and 4.9 kernel.

The test builds can be found here. make sure to grab the correct one for your device.
These test builds are also based on a development branch of CoreELEC, so contain newer code then even the nightly builds currently do.
So I would highly recommend testing on a separate micro sd card, and not updating your existing build with them.

Testing shouldn't take to long. I pretty much need you to let me know if there is any improvement or regression in the behavior of the adapter with the new drivers.
So normal day to day usage stuff. stream some video, copy some files, does the connection remain stable after extended up time, etc.
Pretty much try anything you would expect to normally work with the device, then let me know the results.
These users thanked the author cdu13a for the post (total 2):
rooted (Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:40 am) • slaav (Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:18 pm)

AnjunaBeats
languages_spoken: english, Spanish
ODROIDs: Odroid N2

Post by AnjunaBeats »

When you turn off Kodi, does the hard disk shut down safely?

Is there any way to shut down the hard disk safely in CoreElec when you close kodi?
Because I have many corrupt files (movies etc ...) and I think the cause is because the hard disk is not "extracted" in a secure way.

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

No, Kodi does not shutdown hard disks safely before shutting down, or rebooting.

To be on the safe side I always "Safe disconnect my hard disks" (from context menu after long press on the drive icon) and wait 5 seconds after that to shut down or reboot my N2.
Used the same method on all my previous boxes and never had any file corruption on my hard drives...

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2, C4, N2+

Post by elatllat »

Corrupt files are not normally caused by a power shortage. Check your smart data, and maybe use a better file system (ext4, btrfs, etc)

slaav
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: C1

Post by slaav »

cdu13a wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:25 am
Testing shouldn't take to long. I pretty much need you to let me know if there is any improvement or regression in the behavior of the adapter with the new drivers.
So normal day to day usage stuff. stream some video, copy some files, does the connection remain stable after extended up time, etc.
Pretty much try anything you would expect to normally work with the device, then let me know the results.
Thanks for the effort. I have flashed this one and my Archer T2U Plus WiFi Usb dongle was finally recognized and able to connect.

rooted

Post by rooted »

Sholander wrote:No, Kodi does not shutdown hard disks safely before shutting down, or rebooting.

To be on the safe side I always "Safe disconnect my hard disks" (from context menu after long press on the drive icon) and wait 5 seconds after that to shut down or reboot my N2.
Used the same method on all my previous boxes and never had any file corruption on my hard drives...
Why wouldn't it, Kodi isn't the OS it's just the UI and when shutting down or rebooting there should certainly be no filesystem issues.

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

Yes, it's not Kodi that does not shut down disks but CoreElec, like Windows does when it s turned off. Mentioned Kodi because there in the UI is the option to remove USB drives safely. I figure if that is not necessary the option would not exist, so I use it.

AnjunaBeats

Post by AnjunaBeats »

Thanks for answering.
If I refer to CoreElec. When you click on the "Close" option so that your Odriod N2 turns off, does it close the discs securely? I am not very sure, I always turn off my odriod n2 and the hard disk (I share through Transmission) that is one year old already has very slow reading areas: S.

Greetings.

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

AnjunaBeats wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:18 pm

If I refer to CoreElec. When you click on the "Close" option so that your Odriod N2 turns off, does it close the discs securely?
NO, it does not! If you want to close USB disks securely then you have to long press on disk icon and from context menu choose "Remove safely". It takes 3-5 seconds to unmount/remove USB disk from system.

And, there is no "Close" option in CoreElec/Kodi. There is "Power Options" menu and there "Power off system" option, among others...

rooted

Post by rooted »

@cdu13a Is this correct? When you shutdown without manually unmounting a connected drive it may cause corruption? Why wouldn't CoreELEC follow a standard Linux shutdown procedure?

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

I don't know about what can cause corruption, but drives are not unmounted before CE shuts down.
There is a simple solution: https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/usb-po ... /7682/18?u

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2, C4, N2+

Post by elatllat »

rooted wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:50 am
...Why wouldn't CoreELEC follow a standard Linux shutdown procedure?
Because CoreELEC is not based off a standard Linux distribution... some other light weaght Kodi distributions are based off Debian so I can only assume the reasoning was that it's more fun to roll your own.

AnjunaBeats

Post by AnjunaBeats »

Sholander wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:01 am
AnjunaBeats wrote:

If I refer to CoreElec. When you click on the "Close" option so that your Odriod N2 turns off, does it close the discs securely?
NO, it does not! If you want to close USB disks securely then you have to long press on disk icon and from context menu choose "Remove safely". It takes 3-5 seconds to unmount/remove USB disk from system.

And, there is no "Close" option in CoreElec/Kodi. There is "Power Options" menu and there "Power off system" option, among others...
Where is this? I cant see icon disk on Coreelec... :S

I give it to eject disc. In the file manager, I can see how the unit disappears. And as soon as I turn off my odriod n2 I can hear a perfect "CLUNCH" of the hard drive ... I don't just trust CoreElec, it may be a disk destroyer.

cdu13a

Post by cdu13a »

elatllat wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:41 pm
rooted wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:50 am
...Why wouldn't CoreELEC follow a standard Linux shutdown procedure?
Because CoreELEC is not based off a standard Linux distribution... some other light weaght Kodi distributions are based off Debian so I can only assume the reasoning was that it's more fun to roll your own.
CoreELEC is based on LibreELEC, and in the case of shutdown procedure it remains identical to LibreELEC. I'm not really sure how using systemd is a roll your own situation, and I definitely would not consider dealing with systemd to be fun. :D
These users thanked the author cdu13a for the post:
rooted (Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:57 pm)

cdu13a

Post by cdu13a »

AnjunaBeats wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:50 am
Sholander wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:01 am
AnjunaBeats wrote:

I give it to eject disc. In the file manager, I can see how the unit disappears. And as soon as I turn off my odriod n2 I can hear a perfect "CLUNCH" of the hard drive ... I don't just trust CoreElec, it may be a disk destroyer.
You can add usbpower=1 to your config.ini file to keep the N2 from disabling the Power to the USB ports on shutdown. This will keep a USB powered drive from loosing power before it turns itself off.
These users thanked the author cdu13a for the post:
rooted (Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:21 pm)

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

AnjunaBeats wrote:

There is a simple solution with "shutdown.sh".
Read from this post https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/usb-po ... /7682/21?u

You can download it, inspect it and copy it manually to /storage/.config from here:
https://pastebin.com/raw/ypmbcrEu

It works for me for Power off and Reboot.., no more "clanking"...

AnjunaBeats

Post by AnjunaBeats »

Sholander wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:16 pm
AnjunaBeats wrote:

There is a simple solution with "shutdown.sh".
Read from this post https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/usb-po ... /7682/21?u

You can download it, inspect it and copy it manually to /storage/.config from here:
https://pastebin.com/raw/ypmbcrEu

It works for me for Power off and Reboot.., no more "clanking"...
Ok thx. Works 100% no more "Clanking" but....close the discs securely? it´s my doubt..

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

AnjunaBeats wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:44 am

Ok thx. Works 100% no more "Clanking" but....close the discs securely? it´s my doubt..
Yes, this script closes all USB disks securely before it cuts the power off. You can check if disks are closed by ssh to N2 via a terminal program on a PC and run this command: sh /storage/.config/shutdown.sh poweroff. After that all your USB drives are not available any more until they are mounted again.

IgaBiva
languages_spoken: english, deutsch, srpski

Post by IgaBiva »

Raybuntu wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:31 pm

You can even play 8K videos from YouTube. But the g12b SoC in Odroid N2 can't do it. The revb or the A311D SoCs can do it.
VP9 can't do HDR at the moment. There is a bug that stops it from working. I managed to get it to work but it's not refined yet.
Is there maybe any progress on YouTube and HDR support?

This is the only thing that I am missing on my N2 right now.

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

What HDR support ? HDR and HDR+ works OK and does not need any fixing...

And, Youtube addon is not of CoreElec's concern as it also does not work on other Kodi distros. Contact addon developer for help...

IgaBiva
languages_spoken: english, deutsch, srpski

Post by IgaBiva »

Maybe you should read more carefully - please see what Raybuntu wrote.

HDR is generally supported on CoreELEC but it does not work in YouTube. Reason for this is not YouTube add-on itself but there is a bug in 4.9 kernel and VP9 is not decoded properly (missing HDR info). Add-on author cannot do anything about this.

My question was is there any progress related to this or we need to wait for a release based on a newer kernel version.

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

From time when @Raybuntu wrote that text (6 months ago) CoreElec has progressed enormously, so his text is not relevant any more.
And, NO CoreElec new version or new kernel version will be able to fix YouTube problems. YouTube addon can fix (or not) only it's developer...

AnjunaBeats

Post by AnjunaBeats »

I have CoreElec on the eMMC card and RetroArena on SD card.

I start the Odriod n2 in eMMC mode.

And this is what happens:

It stays on this screen all the time.

Obviously I want to start the eMMC card.

Does anyone know why this happens?

In SPI mode I can start coreelec or RetroArena but in eMMC mode I cant start Coreelec from eMMC.

Sav
ODROIDs: odroid-n2

Post by Sav »

Have you tried booting in eMMC mode without the sd inserted?

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

AnjunaBeats wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:04 am

In SPI mode I can start coreelec or RetroArena but in eMMC mode I cant start Coreelec from eMMC.
In eMMC mode (selector switch on the right side) uSD card has boot priority, so EMMC cannot boot.

AnjunaBeats

Post by AnjunaBeats »

Sav wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:34 am
Have you tried booting in eMMC mode without the sd inserted?
I have emmc and SD connected.

AnjunaBeats

Post by AnjunaBeats »

Sholander wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:13 am
AnjunaBeats wrote:

In eMMC mode (selector switch on the right side) uSD card has boot priority, so EMMC cannot boot.
In eMMC mode eMMC has priority i think.

I have other eMMC with Ubuntu and SD with coreelec. When staty odroid in eMMC mode.. Ubuntu started

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

AnjunaBeats wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:05 am
Sholander wrote:
AnjunaBeats wrote:

I have other eMMC with Ubuntu and SD with coreelec. When staty odroid in eMMC mode.. Ubuntu started
I answered to situation when CoreElec is on eMMC, as you had written. In that case, with CE on eMMC, uSD card has priority, and CE cannot boot from eMMC. That's how CoreElec is made. It does not affect other operating systems.

AnjunaBeats

Post by AnjunaBeats »

Sholander wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:35 am
AnjunaBeats wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:05 am
Sholander wrote:
AnjunaBeats wrote:

I answered to situation when CoreElec is on eMMC, as you had written. In that case, with CE on eMMC, uSD card has priority, and CE cannot boot from eMMC. That's how CoreElec is made. It does not affect other operating systems.
OK thanks.

And is there any way for CE to have priority in eMMC?

Sholander

Post by Sholander »

AnjunaBeats wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:42 am

OK thanks.

No, it's made that way on purpose so anyone can easily fix a faulty eMMC CE installation from uSD card, without the need for an eMMC to USB adapter...

AnjunaBeats

Post by AnjunaBeats »

Sholander wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:02 am
AnjunaBeats wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:42 am

OK thanks.

No, it's made that way on purpose so anyone can easily fix a faulty eMMC CE installation from uSD card, without the need for an eMMC to USB adapter...

OK thanks.
I will have to use Coreelec from the microSD and RetroArena from the eMMC.

slaav
languages_spoken: english, polish
ODROIDs: C1

Post by slaav »

cdu13a wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:25 am

It took a bit of effort but I managed to get the driver from aircrack-ng repo to compile for both 3.14 and 4.9 kernel.

The test builds can be found here. make sure to grab the correct one for your device.
These test builds are also based on a development branch of CoreELEC, so contain newer code then even the nightly builds currently do.
So I would highly recommend testing on a separate micro sd card, and not updating your existing build with them.

The software works stable for some time now. WiFi connection is stable, I also was able to get better transfer speeds (but that might be a result of switching to a newer WiFi dongle). Is there a change your changes will be pushed to nightly and then stable builds? Thanks

Return to “Other OS”