Remote File Server

nspader
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-C2

Remote File Server

Unread post by nspader » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:02 am

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this but I am going to try here and please advise if this needs to be moved.

I have a very happily setup Ubuntu XU4 that is acting as a Plex Media Server and home file server for all of my documents, etc.\

What I would like to be able to do is have a similar setup that Plex does for media, but for my documents and files that are non media, but outside the home network.

I would like to have ti accessible from my laptop that is used at home and away, but also from tablet and phone when needed.

Does anyone know of a product or process to do this? I have seen many different ways but none seemed to accomplish what I really want.

Please chime in with any advice.

rooted

Re: Remote File Server

Unread post by rooted » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:34 am

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1

Unread post by elatllat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am

openvpn

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:19 pm

+1 for openvpn. After I connect, I can use the nas features natively.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:05 pm

rooted wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:34 am
ownCloud is nice

https://owncloud.org/features/
I also would suggest ownCloud, as it has Android and Desktop apps, that allow you to sync and access your documents on nearly any device.
Also ownCloud comes with .deb files and repositories, which allow you to install and update ownCloud relatively easy. Compared to other solutions.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Return to “Ubuntu”