XU4 OGST performance issues during gameplay/emulation

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian
odroidnewguy
languages_spoken: english

XU4 OGST performance issues during gameplay/emulation

Unread post by odroidnewguy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Wanted to get some info from the community about the XU4 OGST kit that Odroid/Hardkernal has had out for almost a year.

No matter what I do differently, whether I've switched from my 55" HDTV to a smaller 22" monitor or using an EMMC module instead of an SDXC, the emulation performance of several systems by way of my XU4 OGST kit is middling at best. Audio stutters and video output is meh. I've mostly tested N64 or NES, but a random GBC game also gave me trouble. I'm largely using EmulationStation during this process.

Is there any additional optimization that I might be missing? I've followed the instructions as provided via the forum (including sudo apt update and the whole nine) but I'd hate to think it's a problem with the board.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: XU4 OGST performance issues during gameplay/emulation

Unread post by meveric » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:39 pm

odroidnewguy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm
No matter what I do differently, whether I've switched from my 55" HDTV to a smaller 22" monitor or using an EMMC module instead of an SDXC, the emulation performance of several systems by way of my XU4 OGST kit is middling at best. Audio stutters and video output is meh. I've mostly tested N64 or NES, but a random GBC game also gave me trouble. I'm largely using EmulationStation during this process.
I'm not sure what image you're using as you haven't mention which of the gaming images available for the XU4 you're using, but this sounds very strange, unless you re-configured the system yourself and made some bad decisions I wouldn't know why you should have bad performace with NES and GBC games, both systems are so old that they run without any issues on the ODROID Go, which has a mere fraction of the performance of the XU4.
If I disable framelimiter on NES games I get over 500 FPS, which means normally there shouldn't be any scenario during gameplay where the performance is an issue, as there are plenty of CPU power left to run this emulator.
Using GBC without framelimmiter I get up to 700 FPS so the outcome should be the same.
I've never heard anyone complain about NES and GBC performance O_o
N64 performance is something else, N64 is overall a very hard to emulate system and performance varies greatly from game to game and settings and emulators used for this.
N64 can also be a lot different depending on what image you use, as using fbdev drivers can give you an edge in performance here and not all images using fbdev drivers.
odroidnewguy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm
Is there any additional optimization that I might be missing? I've followed the instructions as provided via the forum (including sudo apt update and the whole nine) but I'd hate to think it's a problem with the board.
The images should be pre-configured in a way that most games should work out of the box with best performance. Once again N64 is a big issue, even some normal PCs and Laptops struggle to emulate N64 full speed.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

Return to “OGST-XU4”