Poor framerate on Kodi

notadroid
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: HC2, C2

Poor framerate on Kodi

Unread post by notadroid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Hello,
So I got myself a new C2, got a 32gb SD card and installed the latest Ubuntu image. Connected to a Philips 42-inch 1080p TV via HDMI, wireless Logitech Keyboard and a USB WiFi dongle. Booted up fine, did apt update && apt upgrade && reboot, installed kodi, everything looks good. However most videos play with very poor framerate (as shown by enabling debug logging in Kodi). I tried both local videos (copied to the SD card), and streaming over WiFi from a NAS box over NFS. The framerate will sometimes reach 60fps, but will occasionally drop as low as 11 or 10 fps. The same video files play perfectly at 60fps consistently on another Kodi/Ubuntu box running on a 10 y/o Core2Duo box with Intel integrated graphics. Any ideas what I should be looking into? How do I debug this?

Thanks!

rooted

Re: Poor framerate on Kodi

Unread post by rooted » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:49 pm

If you're using the C2 for Kodi I advise using LibreELEC or CoreELEC, they have no such issue with framerate.

But it sounds like the videos your playing aren't being hardware decoded.

notadroid

Unread post by notadroid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:01 pm

I'd prefer to use plain Ubuntu, so I can install other stuff in there later like SickGear or transmission-daemon. Is there a way to tell if hardware decoding is being used?

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:28 pm

notadroid wrote:I'd prefer to use plain Ubuntu, so I can install other stuff in there later like SickGear or transmission-daemon. Is there a way to tell if hardware decoding is being used?
Press "o" on the keyboard while playing a video

notadroid

Unread post by notadroid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 pm

Pressing "o" shows the decoder as "am-h264 (HW)". I think this indicates that hardware decoding is being used.
The odd thing is, I just tried disabling hw acceleration from Kodi preferences, and now the framerate stays above 24 fps (source material is 1080p @23.9 fps). The CPU usage goes from 20% (with hw accel on) to 180% (now using sw accel), but the framerate seems better.

cdu13a
ODROIDs: C1, C2, XU4, HC1

Unread post by cdu13a » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:27 am

The FPS you are seeing when enabling debug logging is the FPS of the kodi GUI not the FPS of video playback if you are using hardware decoding.
Overall try to rely on your eyes and not kodi to tell you about performance, there are a few places kodi will confuse you if you just go by the info kodi gives.

Return to “Ubuntu”