Migrating Ubuntu from SD card to emmc

toc
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: 2x U2 with mSDs
2x U2 with emmc + fans
1x U3 with 16gb emmc, Battery, Fan & Case!!!!
2x X2+ with emmc
2x C2.
1x XU4Q + Fan

Migrating Ubuntu from SD card to emmc

Unread post by toc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:47 am

Is it possible to use my back up .img from my XU4 sd card and write it straight to a new emmc ? both are 16GB ?

I dont want to have to install everything again if I switch to an emmc module, if I have start again from scratch ill stick with this SD card :(

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: Migrating Ubuntu from SD card to emmc

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:41 am

Most likely this will not work out of the box.
SD cards are slightly bigger than eMMC (or eMMC smaller depending on how you see it) and a direct copy will not work.
But if you shrink the partition of the SD card slightly so you have a slightly smaller backup, it will fit on the eMMC just fine.
There are also tools like @mad_ady's ODROID Backup that will make a file based backup rather than an image based backup which also saves space.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

toc
2x U2 with emmc + fans
2x X2+ with emmc
2x C2.
1x XU4Q + Fan

Unread post by toc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:01 pm

ah I see, maybe its not worth the hassle if it not a straight swap could take me some time playing around im not to cleaver with ubuntu and never shrunk a partition with it.
If i did manage to shrink it are their any configs/settings etc which would need changing ? I see there are 2 diff images to download depending if your deploying the OS on SD or emmc ?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:51 pm

toc wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:01 pm
ah I see, maybe its not worth the hassle if it not a straight swap could take me some time playing around im not to cleaver with ubuntu and never shrunk a partition with it.
If i did manage to shrink it are their any configs/settings etc which would need changing ?
The process is rather simply if you have a linux system to do so.
Open gparted as a graphical partition manager, select you want to change the partition (make it a little smaller, maybe 50MB or something like that).
After that you can create a backup with any tool you like, (dd/etcher under Linux, or etcher/win32imager Windows, etc.).
That image you can then flash on eMMC, even if it complains that the it couldn't store all data, it should still work, as you shrank the partition.
No config needs to be changed..
toc wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:01 pm
I see there are 2 diff images to download depending if your deploying the OS on SD or emmc ?
Where did you see that?
Normally there is only one image which is the same for SD and eMMC, it may be different for Android, I'm not sure, but Linux normally has the same image for both eMMC and SD card.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

toc
2x U2 with emmc + fans
2x X2+ with emmc
2x C2.
1x XU4Q + Fan

Unread post by toc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks for that, Yea the Android Images have an emmc and SD version I didnt realize the Linux one is for both! excellent news!!! and looking at what you've said should be pretty straight forward. Soon as the emmc arrives Ill give it a shot.

Return to “General Chat”