Update Python For Kodi 17.6 on C2 Running Ubuntu 16.4

Fiveshooter
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C-2, XU4

Update Python For Kodi 17.6 on C2 Running Ubuntu 16.4

Unread post by Fiveshooter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:28 am

If anyone else is having an issue with the outdated Python message on Kodi 17.6 on a C2 running Ubuntu MATE 16.4.
The information below should fix it for you.
I tried many things without results before I found this.
After everything else I tried failed, this worked on the first attempt.

Python update to fix Kodi on Linux (Ubuntu 16.4)

I had constant error messages in Kodi 17.6 about my Python being out of date.
Here is the procedure that I followed to fix it.
Open a Terminal and type the following:

sudo apt-get install build-essential libssl-dev libffi-dev python-dev python-pip

Wait until after it's done then install cryptography for python by typing the line below in terminal:

pip install cryptography

It will prompt to install update pip BUT DON'T DO THAT IT WILL BREAK THINGS!

Outdated Python error message in Kodi 17.6 should now be gone.

Original Source:
https://www.stepit.co.za/wp/blog/2018/0 ... -and-mint/

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Update Python For Kodi 17.6 on C2 Running Ubuntu 16.4

Unread post by odroid » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:43 am

Refer this thread too or install Ubuntu 18.04
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=28497&p=214690#p210330

Fiveshooter

Unread post by Fiveshooter » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:56 am

Thank you but this was for a C2 and not a XU4. When I do update my XU4s, I will use a clean install of 18.4 and set it up to my liking. My C2 is working perfectly on Ubuntu 16.4 with Kodi 17.6 and other software I added. I'm not in any hurry to update the C2 to Ubuntu 18.4.
I have another XU4 board, aluminum heat sink case and two 32GB eMMC modules for XU4 on the way. One will get Android 7.1 and the other will get Ubuntu 18.4. Once I get all my software and settings to my liking I do full image copies of all in case something breaks that I can't fix. If I add other software or make system updates I test them a while and then pull the eMMC to overwrite my older backups. It takes a lot of HDD space but it's been worth it to me. On rare occasions an update will break something I use so I just rewrite the eMMC with my last working image and skip the suspect update the next time I update. A few months back an update for Chrome browser broke it so writing the last working image was a sure and easy fix.
I LOVE MY ODROID SBCs. They may not have the RPi community but their shear speed blows any current RPi board out of the water. I'm patently waiting for the H2 to have another toy to play with :)

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 am

There is a quick guide for C2(arm64) in the link too.
And I have to agree 16.04 is still fine to play with it.

Have a good time with ODROID boards. :D

Fiveshooter

Unread post by Fiveshooter » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Thanks, I will be updating another C2 (I have five C2s) to Ubuntu 18.4 and rebuilding my software collection on it from scratch on a 32GB eMMC. When I get it to the point that I'm happy with it and everything I want on it is working correctly I will image the whole eMMC module and put it on other eMMC modules. Until I get to that point I'm leaving my daily driver C2 at 16.4. It will eventually get 18.4 as well when I have the image I want built up to my liking. Right now every piece of software I have on it works perfectly including YouTube both in a browser and on Kodi. Until I get the same results with Ubuntu 18.4 it remains my "safety net" machine and the one I use every day.
I have not tried Android 7.1 on a XU4 yet but I will get that setup this weekend. I've had good results with Ubuntu on a XU4 and I expect it to perform flawlessly with the right Android build.
I realize I can buy a very high end Android TV box for the cost of a XU4, aluminum case, power supply and 32GB eMMC module but with a retail TV Box you can't run what OS you want as with an Odroid board.
The appeal of the Odroid SBCs is the ability to install and run what OS I want instead of being stuck with a single OS that I may or may not be completely happy with.
I've owned and worked with several SBCs over the years and although there are some with a lot more theoretical speed and power, absolutely none have proven to me to be as stable as the Odroid C2.
Like anything that can be updated, an occasional update may break an application but I can always reload my last working image and fix it.
Cost versus performance and stability, I think the C2 is the best deal you can find on any SBC at this time.

Return to “Issues”