Flashing Android Image to eMMC

chuck.ferguson
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-XU4

Flashing Android Image to eMMC

Unread post by chuck.ferguson » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:51 am

I am a newbie. I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before. I have looked through all the Odroid documentation and the forums and not found an answer.

I downloaded source code for Android and built it successfully. I using Ubuntu 16.04 as my build environment. Now I need to burn it to eMMC.

The Odroid link below uses adb to copy the image to a running droid. Then it is booted to u-boot and fastboot commands are used to finish the process.

https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... ng_android

I need to create the eMMC directly from my Ubuntu 16.04 PC. I don't see any way of doing that.

I have successfully flashed HardKernel sd2emmc distributions to SD cards and burned eMMC using that process. I can use that as an option of last resort.

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to create eMMC directly from Ubuntu without using sd2emmc intermediate step?

2. How can I create an sd2emmc image from the Android build? I saw in odroid-c2 has a 'make selfinstall' that apparently creates the sd2emmc image. I don't see one for xu4. I did not find an sd2emmc image created by the Android build. What did I miss?

Chuck

chuck.ferguson

Re: Flashing Android Image to eMMC

Unread post by chuck.ferguson » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:08 am

An update:

I figured out how to build the sd2emmc using make_recovery_images.sh. Previously it had been giving me errors.

I needed to create a folder called "/media/odroid/fat32" and give 777 access to everyone. Then the script would run. The script created installers for emmc, sd, and sd2emmc in xu4_installers tree. I was able to boot the xu4 using sd2emmc on an sd card. Woo-hoo!

So, my question 2 is answered. Question 1 still remains. Sure would be nice to program an emmc card directly on my Ubuntu PC and have it boot without having to use sd2emmc installer.

codewalker
ODROIDs: all

Unread post by codewalker » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:36 am

If you wrote sd2eMMC image to eMMC, You do not need to write sd2emmc image any more. Just write emmc-selfinstall image from your Ubuntu PC.

chuck.ferguson

Unread post by chuck.ferguson » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:09 am

Thanks for the input. Help me understand this. Somewhere I read that the sd2emmc copies the u-boot or some other MBR content to the eMMC. Evidently, it is not possible to write to that portion of the eMMC with a Linux PC using 'dd', Etcher, or anything else, correct? Is there some documentation on this somewhere? How is it that sd2emmc *CAN* write the needed data but a Linux PC cannot?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread post by odroid » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:31 am

There is no way to write the boot blobs into the eMMC hidden boot sectors via Linux PC USB mass storage protocol.
Read this WiKi page about the boot blobs.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/soft ... tion_table
To write something to the hidden boot sectors, your host PC must have a native eMMC host controller like ODROID-H2.

If you don't need to update the boot sectors, you can write any images with dd command on the PC.

Return to “Android”