Slow access on HC2 after a while

Minou666
languages_spoken: French and English
ODROIDs: Odroid C1,Odroid C2, Odroid HC1, Odroid HC2 and XU3LITE

Slow access on HC2 after a while

Unread post by Minou666 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Here is the scenario (same results with Arch and Funtoo), AMD64 system used is MINT 19

I have two HC2 with 2TB disk each and 1 HC1 with 1TB disk.

I connect thru ssh with all of them. If I do not access one of them for a while, it seems to take forever to have anything happening. Just trying to do a first directory list can take 20 seconds or more.

How to disable that disturbing behavior? I want quick access just like it would be on a regular computer.

The 2TB disk are blue WD and the 1TB disk is red WB. Strange thing with the red one, I cannot decompress a large file on it on MINT, it appears to die after a while.
I have no problem doing the same thing on Archlinux on the odroid.
My computer has all USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 except for 2 USB 2 in the front.

On weird thing I found is if I have the dock station connected when I boot, the dock station becomes /dev/sda and the system disk becomes /dev/sdb

Michel

mad_ady
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Re: Slow access on HC2 after a while

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:31 pm

It sounds like the disc on your hc2 goes to sleep (spins down) after a period of inactivity (I think default is 3 minutes). You can change this by reprogramming the sata controller. Check the wiki for details.

Note, for best performance you should be using NFS/SAMBA instead of ssh for transfer. Ssh performance is limited to about 50MB/s due to encryption overhead.

Return to “Other OS”