Transferring SD card breaks networking and more?

Guilt
languages_spoken: english, spanish, japanese
ODROIDs: hc2, xu4, cloudshell, c2

Transferring SD card breaks networking and more?

Unread post by Guilt » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:57 am

I've been writing scripts into a minimal Debian installation on an 8gb SD card installed in an Odroid HC2 over SSH. I wanted to clone this SD card onto a second HC2, and when I did so I discovered that the new HC2 would not get online.
To troubleshoot this, I moved the SD card to an Xu4 (since the HC2 has no video output), where I could log in to the terminal and look around. The file /etc/network/interfaces had been wiped somehow. After adding the eth0 dhcp line, I restarted the network by way of 'sudo ifdown eth0 && sudo ifup eth0' and got internet access.
However, when I now transfer this SD card back into an HC2, I still get no network. Moving the SD card from the HC2 to the Xu4 shows that the /etc/network/interfaces file didn't get wiped again, so I wonder if that's not the only file that's broken?

I'm not sure how to find out more about this right now. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

EDIT: I've now attempted connecting to the non-boot(?) HC2 via UART. I'm in terminal and can confirm that the device definitely gets into the OS but fails to get networking up and running for some reason. I can also confirm that /etc/network/interfaces is not wiped, it still reads

Code: Select all

source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Return to “Hardware and peripherals”