New to the odroid family

scythefwd
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4 with 32gb emmc

New to the odroid family

Unread post by scythefwd » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:35 am

A few years ago, just as the xu3 was getting released I think (it was an xu model for sure), my brother in law got a c2. It wasn't quite what he needed, but I've always wanted one. I just ordered my xu4, 32gb emmc with linux on it, and the standard 4a power cable.

My plans - remove ubuntu's standard gui and put in ldxe and lightdm on it. Install stuff like wireshark, nmap, and the like. See if I can get some emu's running in the lighter wdm. Use it for office and the like..

Evaluate it as a locked down image that can do rdp to a windows terminal server too..

Hoping to power a 90mm fan off a usb port, and use a wireless kb and mouse. Maybe it will pull time as a car computer..

rooted

Re: New to the odroid family

Unread post by rooted » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 am

Welcome to the forum, the XU4 is a great device to start with.

igorpec
languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Unread post by igorpec » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:24 pm

scythefwd wrote:remove ubuntu's standard gui and put in ldxe and lightdm on it
It can go better than this without cleaning stock and by using ugly gui. Out of the box. https://docs.armbian.com/Quick_facts/ With nodm (no display manager) which can be upgraded to lightdm with two clicks https://github.com/armbian/config Kernels from 3.16.y - 4.19.y interchangeable via this config or manually ... Kernel(s) are highly network features friendly OOB. Docker OOB.

Running Office:
- on the slowest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTxdyy_q-0A board from SD card
- and fastest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Bl0yjESLo with high end NvMe
ARMBIAN - follow on Twitter
linux for ARM development boards with user friendly development tools

scythefwd

Unread post by scythefwd » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:35 am

igor - thanks for the lead, but i'm not planning on running armbian.. I may go with a headless install and build up from there.. but my familiarity is with ubuntu and centos for linux.. not straight debian so I'll avoid it for now.

igorpec

Unread post by igorpec » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:22 pm

scythefwd wrote:but my familiarity is with ubuntu
Armbian is improved, bugfixed and overall much better (then stock/generic) Ubuntu. Or stock Debian. CLI interface or desktop. In both cases you got minimum. No junk, no excessive stuff, no broken security, no spyware (like on some systems that you might choose by mistake). If that is not good enough, you can build your own custom image, from sources, which will be receiving important updates which you don't get from the upstream (special kernel, low level optimisations). If you don't care about level of support, security, trust and performance but look/design/hype/branding ..., then there is nothing to be done.

Armbian is Ubuntu/Debian based exactly for the reason you are bringing up here.

Real (shared at best) problems are elsewhere and people are working on them:
https://forum.armbian.com/topic/8829-le ... ing-thread
viewtopic.php?f=135&t=22717

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:26 pm

I found Hardkernel's ubuntu best for my needs. Other distros are fine as well (meveric's debian, armbian as well), but they have different philosophies, that's all.

scythefwd

Unread post by scythefwd » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Igor, I understand you're a developer for armbian.. and I appreciate your fervor.. but I'm not going to use armbian, at least not at first. Simple as that. Thank you for the suggestion, but thats the end of that conversation.

igorpec

Unread post by igorpec » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:17 pm

scythefwd wrote:Igor, I understand you're a developer for armbian.. and I appreciate your fervor.. but I'm not going to use armbian, at least not at first. Simple as that. Thank you for the suggestion, but thats the end of that conversation.
:D This is forum and I clarified facts - also for others - which might read this.

scythefwd

Unread post by scythefwd » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:13 am

Well got it in the mail today. Did try the original ubuntu mate image. It's ok.. then I loaded up the minimal image only. changed the password, added a user and put them in sudoer. Installed the lubuntu desktop, libreofice, a couple game emulators. So far, so good. There appears to be no swap.. is that doable or am I looking at an alternate load for this?

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:15 pm

is "what" doable?
swap?
Swap can be turned on either by using ZRAM, or using a "swap-file" instead of a swap partition for example.

or the things you point out on top? with nmap and the like?
All of these points are doable as well, although lxde is not really that much lighter than MATE.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

scythefwd

Unread post by scythefwd » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Merveric - swap files.. very windowsy of it lol. Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm just getting back into linux, and a LOT of my information is very old.. like suse professional 8 old.

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 pm

swap file can be created rather easy:
viewtopic.php?p=237576#p237576
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

scythefwd

Unread post by scythefwd » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks! as to mate vs. lxde.. I like simplicity.. I might care to add a right click contextual menu for lxde if possible.. but it feels more responsive with my minimal load and lightdm/lxde vs. the default mate. But thats a lot of difference int he loads.

Thanks again

Return to “Introduce Yourself”