C64 Emulation with keyboard support

crashoverride
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

C64 Emulation with keyboard support

Unread post by crashoverride » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:49 am

I released a C64 emulator compatible with the new ODROID-GO QWERTY keyboard shown here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=32565

While a C64 emulators was already announced, this version does not derive from it. Its operation and behavior may be different.
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/f ... g/20181022

Also available is an application to use the keyboard and gamepad as a Bluetooth LE (BTLE) device with your PC or smartphone:
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/b ... g/20181022

The keyboard is required to use the C64 emulator; however, it is optional for the BTLE application (gamepad is still usable if keyboard is not connected).

@kamots has produced a video illustrating use of the keyboard and emulator which is embedded in the first forum link above. The link is provided again here for convenience:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl-v_YFcNnM

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Re: C64 Emulation with keyboard support

Unread post by mad_ady » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:37 pm

I think that the ability to use the gamepad over BT to control a BT device is awesome. You could use it to play games on other platforms (OGST) without the need for a dedicated controller. Or you could use it as a Kodi remote with the proper mapping. Great job, @crashoverride! Any idea what battery life is when used as a BT controller?

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:51 pm

It would be a longer amount time if the screen was off. I would guess battery life would be longer than running an emulator?

It is an extremely cool feature.

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:45 pm

mad_ady wrote:Any idea what battery life is when used as a BT controller?
I did not measure battery life, and the GO currently always reports a "50%" battery level to the host.

The keyboard library was designed with power efficiency in mind. When a key event occurs, it triggers an interrupt and the I2C bus is read. This means that unless a key is pressed or released, the ESP32 in the GO is effectively "doing nothing" (in contrast to polling). If someone wanted to do so, the display and ESP32 could be made to sleep between key events for significant power savings. The gamepad, however, requires constant polling since the D-PAD is analog.

Voljega

Unread post by Voljega » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:11 pm

is your C64 emulator officially integrated in the standard system alongside the other emulators ?

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:14 pm

Voljega wrote:is your C64 emulator officially integrated in the standard system alongside the other emulators ?
No, it is a stand-alone application. There are no plans to integrate it since it requires the keyboard accessory.

Mog
ODROIDs: ODroid Go

Unread post by Mog » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi

The C64 emulator, I can't seem to find documentation for it, I've worked out a few things by peering at the source but... Is there any way to:

Toggle the active joystick port for games that use port 1?
Turn off the real 1541 emulation so games can be loaded without it being possible to make a coffee while it does so? (I did rebuild it with that disabled which was far faster though obviously games/speedloaders that hit the 1541 at the CPU level fall over but I wonder if I've missed some built in way to toggle that)

Also, Simons Basic isn't working properly, not sure if it's an issue with my copy of it, the emulation or me forgetting how to use it properly after so many years but the additional commands used in programs don't seem to work but they do work in direct mode which is a new one on me!

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:44 pm

Mog wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:06 pm
Toggle the active joystick port for games that use port 1?
There currently is no way to do this; however, there are no technical issues preventing it.
Mog wrote:
Turn off the real 1541 emulation so games can be loaded without it being possible to make a coffee while it does so?
Only the emulated drive supports saving. It is also the most compatible. Therefore, there are no plans to make it optional.
Mog wrote:
Also, Simons Basic isn't working properly
I have no experience with it so am unable to offer advice.

Mog
ODROIDs: ODroid Go

Unread post by Mog » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:13 am

Ah, I see.

Well, if you're not interested in adding the features needed to use it effectively for games I assume you'd have no objections to a modified version of it with that functionality appearing? (After all, games are what the C64 was primarily used for, it was not a good machine for programming on with that PET Basic and I speak as someone who used the Spectrum, C64 and BBC pretty extensively when they were current)

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread post by meveric » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:31 am

@Mog,
You know you can always use a different C64 emulator.
The one from @Schuemi which you can find here: viewtopic.php?f=159&t=32406
has all the features you're asking for.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

crashoverride

Unread post by crashoverride » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:26 am

Mog wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:13 am
I assume you'd have no objections to a modified version of it with that functionality appearing?
I encourage everyone to fork/modify any of the open source projects I have provided. In my opinion, experimentation and learning are a primary goal of ODROID-GO.

Return to “Game Emulators”