Dealing with the "USB split transactions" problem with C0?

Jason_25
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: 2 x c2, 3 x c0

Dealing with the "USB split transactions" problem with C0?

Unread post by Jason_25 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:43 pm

I have recently ran into the freezing along with the message "hid_irq_in too many eproto" in the logs followed by a complete crash and stacktrace.

My problem seems to stem from a "full speed" 12Mbps keyboard/mouse connected to the hardwired USB 2.0 hub I have connected to one of the USB headers. I have a micro USB for the touch screen hardwired to the second set of USB headers. Freezes happen even when the keyboard remains connected. As you know, the C0 does not have a USB OTG port either.

My current troubleshooting todo steps posted here:
(I have done the obvious things like changing power supplies from switching to linear and adjusting voltage/reseating sd card, run fsck)
test with keyboard only attached to external hub - then plug in after boot and test again
test without cellular device attached at all with keyboard to external hub - then plug in after boot and test again
test without cellular device attached at all with keyboard to internal hub - then plug in after boot and test again
test with micro usb to female type a usb on second bus and use for keyboard - then plug in after boot and test again
-----(requires ordering)
test with micro usb to female usb attached to usb 1.1 hub and use for keyboard
test with keyboard with usb 2.0

A few questions:
Have there been any good workarounds or fixes for this?
Are the two USB outputs on the C0 shared/part of the same bus?
Is plugging in a USB 1.1 hub really going to help and can one still be purchased?
Are there any "high speed" 480Mbps keyboards that can be purchased?
Will disabling the kernel "hung tasks" automatic crash work around the problem?

odroid
Site Admin
languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Dealing with the "USB split transactions" problem with C

Unread post by odroid » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 am

Which USB mouse/keyboard do you use?

When we tested Logitech K400 series (full-speed 12Mbps), it worked well with C0.

Jason_25
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: 2 x c2, 3 x c0

Re: Dealing with the "USB split transactions" problem with C

Unread post by Jason_25 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:27 pm

Thanks for the reply and sorry to take so long to respond. I have tested for several days and these are the results.

I noticed during the very first round of testing that I was seeing "resubmit read urb failed", then "disconnect cb-host" and also warnings about USB EMI and a bad USB cable. Thinking I had nothing to lose I pressed down on components on the back of the device. When pressing on the internal USB hub I saw the USB devices blink. It turns out that I had a bad ground connection between the internal hub and USB header. It is interesting that these symptoms mimicked or exacerbated the "USB split transactions" problem.

I did not get around to the troubleshooting steps above since I noticed the hardware problem. These are the modified troubleshooting steps I took:
linear power supply plugged into wall power set to 5.31v
usb 2.0 passive hub daisy chained into usb 2.0 hub soldered to usb header
keyboard attached to daisychained hub
cellular device attached to internal hub and dialed in/microphone disconnected
ran for three days with no errors
plugged in ethernet to daisychained hub
usb voltage drops from 4.92 to 4.65-4.74
ran for three days with no errors

Hopefully I am back to trouble free operation with my C0 devices.

Return to “General Chat”