New to Emulation Software trying to figure stuff out

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

New to Emulation Software trying to figure stuff out

Unread postby mxc4 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:18 am

Hi all,
So I am new to the emulation scene so trying to figure out general stuff and game station specific stuff all at once.

1) My understanding of emulation, till now, was mame - I assumed it was the main emulator but never had luck with getting mame roms working in the past. From what I now know it looks like mame roms are a constantly moving target and I can't update mine to 0.154 which is what is running on my ogst installation. Will I absolutely need the same version for the romsets to get them to work with mame?

2) I loaded some GBA roms. if I run them manually via mednafen (cli) they load ok, but without the controller mapping. If I use the default launcher on game station, when I click on a title, the game boy logo start to play on the lcd, the main screen flickers and I get sent back to the launcher. Not sure why this is. Not much in the way of log files

3) So far the N64 roms work best for me. The game actually launches. The controller is recognized but I am unable to quit a game other than by ctlr-alt-del.

4) I tried the freeware cave story but I cannot quit this game also.

5) What emulator is being used underneath. I see a lot of talk of retroarch but it looks like mednafen works best from my experiments.

So far it look pretty terrible to me trying to figure out every detail :) Is this just how things are on the emulation front? Thanks
mxc4

languages_spoken: english

Re: New to Emulation Software trying to figure stuff out

Unread postby meveric » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:48 pm

mxc4 wrote:Hi all,
So I am new to the emulation scene so trying to figure out general stuff and game station specific stuff all at once.

1) My understanding of emulation, till now, was mame - I assumed it was the main emulator but never had luck with getting mame roms working in the past. From what I now know it looks like mame roms are a constantly moving target and I can't update mine to 0.154 which is what is running on my ogst installation. Will I absolutely need the same version for the romsets to get them to work with mame?

No you don't. By default the mame core installed should be Mame 0.19x not sure what version exactly, but we are long past 0.154
But you don't need a 0.154 romset. Others will work as well. Not all maybe but most.
mxc4 wrote:2) I loaded some GBA roms. if I run them manually via mednafen (cli) they load ok, but without the controller mapping. If I use the default launcher on game station, when I click on a title, the game boy logo start to play on the lcd, the main screen flickers and I get sent back to the launcher. Not sure why this is. Not much in the way of log files

Mednafen is still a nice emulator but it's easier to use the retroarch cores. Still if you want to use Mednafen you can use Shift + 1 to configure button layout for player 1 (maybe it was ctrl + shift + 1 I'm not 100% sure)
Retroarch should work out of the box though. I tried it hundreds of times. You can also try from command line with libretro-xbmc mgba <path-to-romfile>
mxc4 wrote:3) So far the N64 roms work best for me. The game actually launches. The controller is recognized but I am unable to quit a game other than by ctlr-alt-del.

Shift + ESC, Start + Select, Alt + F4.. all of these should work better than ctrl + alt + del
mxc4 wrote:4) I tried the freeware cave story but I cannot quit this game also.

Same as above
mxc4 wrote:5) What emulator is being used underneath. I see a lot of talk of retroarch but it looks like mednafen works best from my experiments.

Different emulators are used mostly retroarch with libretro cores though. Check the first page of the thread about the image, there's a list of the emulators.

mxc4 wrote:So far it look pretty terrible to me trying to figure out every detail :) Is this just how things are on the emulation front? Thanks

There are other images that are easier to use if you just want to play. This is more universal with more software than other emulator images. You won't find Mednafen for example on any other image
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Return to OGST-XU4