Battery with more capacity?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Battery with more capacity?

Unread postby Gabelvampir » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:57 pm

Hello,

at the moment I don't really have a need for this, but since I saw the included battery has the relatively low capacity of 1200 mAh, I asked myself if it can be replaced with a battery with a greater capacity.
Or would that cause problems with the charging controller/circuity? What criteria would a replacement battery have to meet besides the size and form factor?
Gabelvampir

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: GO

Re: Battery with more capacity?

Unread postby mameise » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Should not matter at all. You can just replace with another with more capacity. Not sure if there is much possible because space is limited. The only thing you have to check is that it is a one cell lipo and the polarity of course.
mameise

languages_spoken: english german
ODROIDs: ODROID-GO

Unread postby crashoverride » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:19 am

The easiest and cheapest solution is to just use a regular cell phone "power bank" battery attached to the USB port.

Gabelvampir wrote:I saw the included battery has the relatively low capacity of 1200 mAh

In the class of devices the ESP-32 is in, that is a relatively high capacity battery which is why its able to provide the many hours of continuous operation and week(s) of "normal" operation[1].

[1] Totally made up statistic based on internet posts I have encountered. ;)
crashoverride

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby Gabelvampir » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:00 am

Yeah using a power bank also came to my mind. But as I said right now I have no real need for it, the included battery is enough for me at the moment.
Its just that I thought 1200 mAh is not really all that much as most AA rechargeable batteries I have lying around have over 2000 mAh and should have about the same volume (although they of course have a different shape). So I thought there should be larger capacities available, but I don't have much experience with batteries apart from AA and AAA ones.
Gabelvampir

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:23 am

Gabelvampir wrote:most AA rechargeable batteries I have lying around have over 2000 mAh

Its important to note what is being measures: A = Ampere = measure of current
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere

In electronics, Watts (W) are a measure of power derived from the Volts (V) and Amperes (A):
W = V * A

Applying the above formula, we see the power capacity of each batter:
ODROID-GO: 3.7V * 1.2A = 4.44W
AA: 1.2V * 2.3A = 2.76W

Despite a lower mAh (milliampere-hour), the ODROID-GO batter provides more power.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_(physics)
In the International System of Units, the unit of power is the joule per second (J/s), known as the watt [...]

[edit]
AA battery specifications used: http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/nh15-2300.pdf
crashoverride

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby Gabelvampir » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Oh yeah of course there was something I've overlooked, I did not look on the voltage of the battery. Thanks for clearing that up.
Gabelvampir

Return to General Chat