[solved] Adding ifb module to the kernel?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

[solved] Adding ifb module to the kernel?

Unread postby jcornuz » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:51 am

Hello all

I hope this is the right place to ask - if not, please let me know.

I have had a cloudshell2 running well for the last few months. I added an usb->eth adapter to use it as a server / router and it is doing a great job.

I have been using fireqos to do basic QOS - just making sure VOIP gets first priority. However, Fireqos requires IFB (Intermediate Functionnal Block device / https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/networking/ifb) to function, which is not included in the default (ubuntu/hardkernel) kernel.

I did compile my own kernel (it has been working fine), but it would be a lot more simple to not have to recompile when there is an update (and not worry having my kernel overwritten by an update)... and maybe other people would be interested in Fireqos.

So if there is anything that can be done about it: THANKS. If not, well, I can understand :)
Last edited by jcornuz on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcornuz

languages_spoken: english, french
ODROIDs: Oroid XU4 + Cloushell2

Re: Adding ifb module to the kernel?

Unread postby tobetter » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:30 am

jcornuz wrote:Hello all

I hope this is the right place to ask - if not, please let me know.

I have had a cloudshell2 running well for the last few months. I added an usb->eth adapter to use it as a server / router and it is doing a great job.

I have been using fireqos to do basic QOS - just making sure VOIP gets first priority. However, Fireqos requires IFB (Intermediate Functionnal Block device / https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/networking/ifb) to function, which is not included in the default (ubuntu/hardkernel) kernel.

I did compile my own kernel (it has been working fine), but it would be a lot more simple to not have to recompile when there is an update (and not worry having my kernel overwritten by an update)... and maybe other people would be interested in Fireqos.

So if there is anything that can be done about it: THANKS. If not, well, I can understand :)

My suggestion is to create a patch which you made for your custom kernel and post it to this forum addressing to odroid or mdrjr. The best way is if you have a github account, you can do pull request, HK's kernel maintainer will merge the patch to the branch to release at some point.
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: Adding ifb module to the kernel?

Unread postby jcornuz » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I created a pull request (https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/pull/362)... we will see if it gets merged ;)
jcornuz

Re: [solved] Adding ifb module to the kernel?

Unread postby jcornuz » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:58 am

Pull request was accepted. Anyone needing Fireqos for QOS will have an easier life, thanks to Mauro!
jcornuz

Return to Ubuntu