ODROID home fileservers

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

ODROID home fileservers

Unread postby BioniC187 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi all,

I would like to implement 2 fileservers at home, and I need some help choosing between the XU4 and the HC1.

I would like the following setup:
Server 1 - Static file server
Server 2 - plug and play file server

Server 1: I want to have 1 or 2 HDDs permanently accessible on my network. I was looking at the XU4 since it has 2 USB 3 ports, so potentially 2 2.5" drives.
Will I need to use a powered USB3 hub for this? (I m aware that both ports use the same bus regarding bandwidth)
Or should I simply use the HC1?
If I use the HC1, is it possible to set up 2 HC1's and have them act as one instance in Open Media Vault? (Still listed as 2 separate drives but one place to manage access)

Server 2: I would like to be able to plug in an external HDD, and have it auto mount and be accessible on my network. For example, so I can plug in a drive and be able to watch content on my TV and at the same time be copying data to from my PC.

Is any of this feasible?
Thanks
BioniC187

languages_spoken: english

Re: ODROID home fileservers

Unread postby graysky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:14 pm

USB is too slow for file access in my opinion. Look for something with eSATA support.
graysky

ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby BioniC187 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:19 pm

I've seen the cases of the HC1 being able to achieve 100MBps. I feel that is enough for me.

However, if not USB3, what good options are there with eSATA support?
BioniC187

Unread postby graysky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:29 pm

USB3 in my experience and hardware gives 30-40 MBps. I would say run a router with eSATA support. The R7800 has this/recommend running OpenWRT. Sorry, not a Hardkernel product but works well.
graysky

ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby meveric » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:34 pm

graysky wrote:USB3 in my experience and hardware gives 30-40 MBps.

30-40MB/sec sounds more like USB 2.0 not 3.0, I have several XU4 connected via USB 3.0 HDD and get even without optimization about 50~70MB/sec if I copy files from one ODROID to another (via network).
I've also seen values of over 90 MB/sec using samba and they are all connected via USB 3.0 only.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:41 pm

I'm running a nas on XU4 with 3 hdds attached (2 usb3, 1 usb2). I get about 100MBps read/write performance (with xfs filesystem). You get 20-30MB/s if you use ntfs without big_writes - so the hardware can do it.

Regarding xu4 vs hc1/2 - there's a tradeoff:
* on xu4 you can use 2 usb3 disks (with the 6A psu, if the disks don't need more than 900mA peak current), but if your usb-sata bridge/ usb cable is not ok you can experience problems, frequent disconnects. Also UAS support depends on sata bridge used.

HC1/2 resolve these potential problems, but you're limited to a single disk (note that server-grade 2.5" disks might require 12V too, which HC2 can't supply)(you can mount a hc1 from a different hc1 and expose it as a single share, but performance is limited to 1gbps, while having two you have a theoretical bandwidth of 2gbps (assuming no bottlenecks on the lan).
Between HC1 and HC2 I'd go with HC2 because:
* PSU is bigger
* heatsink is bigger
* you can also use 3.5" drives if needed in the future.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby BioniC187 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:49 pm

mad_ady wrote:I'm running a nas on XU4 with 3 hdds attached (2 usb3, 1 usb2). I get about 100MBps read/write performance (with xfs filesystem).

Perfect. Exactly what I want to do for Server 1.
Regarding your XU4 setup, what power supply are you using? Are your HDDs powered by the board or by a powered USB hub?

Having used an XU4 like this, would you prefer the HC1/2 instead? or is XU4 a stable setup in your opinion?
BioniC187

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:23 pm

I'm using the 6A PSU and one HDD is in a powered enclosure (because it's 3.5" and needs 12V).

With older kernels I had stability problems that would cause the USB bus to reset under moderate load. The problems were likely caused by the enclosure firmware/kernel combination. I had to limit bus performance with:
Code: Select all
device=`readlink /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD30EZRX-00AZ6B0_WD-WCC070344331 | cut -d '/' -f 3`
if [ -f "/sys/class/block/$device/queue/max_sectors_kb" ]; then
    logger -s -t $0 "Setting HDD $device speed limit"
    echo 10 > /sys/class/block/$device/queue/max_sectors_kb
fi

I no longer experience these problems with kernel 4.14.43+.

If I were to build a NAS now, I think I would go with the HC2 for each HDD (you can use the USB2 port for a slower/backup HDD) and you have the advantage of being able to stack the HCs (physically) and you can do away with power supplies for enclosures and get rid of any stability issues.

However, I can't replace *my* NAS with a HC2 because I'm also using the XU4 GPIOs for an IR blaster - so you'll need to consider if you need things like GPIO, HDMI, fan...

So, TL;DR version - go with HC2 for simple/reliable setup, go with XU4 if you need 2 USB3 ports and are willing to tinker with enclosures, USB-SATA adapters, etc. Go with HC1 only if you know you'll need small 2.5" drives and you're limited by physical space. A bigger heatsink keeps the unit cooler.

Regarding the plug-and-play server - there was a firmware version for HC1/HC2 that let you hotplug the disk, otherwise you can use USB2.
mad_ady

Unread postby BioniC187 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:46 pm

I think I will go with the XU4. I have 2 external HDD's that are already in USB 3 enclosures, so that means I can get away with not getting 2 HC1's.

Thanks for all the help mad_ady :)
BioniC187

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:36 pm

You should make sure that the chipset of the enclosure is properly supported by Linux and has proper UAS support (otherwise you need to disable UAS)
mad_ady

Unread postby BioniC187 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:59 pm

I will plug them into a Linux box and check if they pick up as well as the driver that is used - uas or usb-storage
BioniC187

Unread postby hominoid » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:50 am

Just some feedback from using an enclosure on a XU-4 with USB3. Before the HC1, HC2 or even the Cloudshell2 came out, I was faced with a similar dilemma and deployed a NextStar MX. It uses the same chipset that HK ended up using on the Cloudshell2 (JMS561). It has worked out well over the last couple of years with similar performance as @mady_ady stated. It is self powered (5v) so no need for powered USB hub and only uses one USB3 port. Built in Linux drivers and windows 7-10 with UASP support. I have two, one stays on an XU4 and the other I have been using on a Windows 7 machine with RAID0. The nice thing about the enclosure setup for me is that I can easily move the NTFS Raid0 enclosure to the XU4 (plug and play) when and if I need to and have 4 drives off a XU4. XU4 features, no powered hub needed, uses one USB3 port, multiple drives, UAS, Linux built in drivers. Couldn't be happier with it.

Support Dual 2.5" SATAI/II/III HDD/SSD
Fitting for universal 2.5" HDD/SDD with height of 7mm to 15mm
SATA interface support SATAIII specification up to 6Gbps
USB 3.0 interface operates at Super Speed up to 5Gbps
USB 3.0 backward compatible to USB2.0
Support UASP for added speed
HDD configuration support : Individual/JBOD/RAID0/RAID1
Capacity support over 2TB per drive*
3 LED indicators for Power ON/Standby and two HDD activities
Equipped with 40mm cooling fan for efficient heat dissipation
Aluminum housing with metal internal hard drive tray for maximum heat dissipation
Power saving: Auto synchronization with PC power status
Power input with DC 5V/2A adapter
OS support for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10, OS X 10.7 or greater, Linux Kernel 2.6.38 or greater
hominoid

ODROIDs: C2, XU4, MC1, N1

Unread postby rooted » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:42 pm

I don't see how the NextStar (which is nice) is better than just going with a CloudShell 2?

If you're plugging it into various other devices I get it, but if not the CS2 is an all in one unit.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby BioniC187 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:55 pm

I had a look at the CloudShell2, and it looks great! Maybe next year I will get that :D

I have ordered my XU4. Sadly only 1 of my HDD enclosures are UAS, so will have to get another soon
BioniC187

Unread postby hominoid » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 pm

rooted wrote:I don't see how the NextStar (which is nice) is better than just going with a CloudShell 2?

If you're plugging it into various other devices I get it, but if not the CS2 is an all in one unit.

The CloudShell2 is a nice product but he wasn't asking about the CloudShell2. I mentioned it just in passing in the context that I had been using an enclosure on a XU4 with USB3 enclosures since before the CloudShell2 was even a product, to confirm what @mad_ady said about performance and provide additional feedback that the performance was indeed fine, IMO. In contrast to @maveric who believed USB3 was to slow. BionC187 had enclosures already he was considering using on a XU4. FYI, even though I see they are still available, I also noticed HK has moved the CloudShell2 to the Discontinued Product category on their web site.
hominoid

ODROIDs: C2, XU4, MC1, N1

Unread postby mad_ady » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:52 pm

I think it's being superseded by HC1/HC2, though they don't offer dual disk support/RAID.
mad_ady

Unread postby rooted » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:06 am

mad_ady wrote:I think it's being superseded by HC1/HC2, though they don't offer dual disk support/RAID.
Different products but the HC1/2 outsells the CS2, probably 20 to 1 if not more.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Return to Projects