[SOLVED]No Network on Ubuntu 18.04 MINIMAL on XU4

richt1
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4
Has thanked: 0

[SOLVED]No Network on Ubuntu 18.04 MINIMAL on XU4

Unread post by richt1 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:10 pm

I purchased an EMMC card with the desktop 18.04 on it. Worked well, configured easy from the command line, but I didn't want all the desktop environment on it since I was going to make is into a headless server. So I downloaded and installed the minimal image on the emmc card. Booted it up and started configuring the network. First thing I noticed was the ifconfig command was not installed by default, but ethtool was. I set up the /etc/network/interfaces file with the standard static IP configuration. rebooted. No network connection and no errors in the dmesg I then tried to use the dhcp setting that is normally the default. Still no network connection.

Thinking I did something wrong with the image I installed the desktop image on the card, and it worked perfectly Came up with a DHCP address right out of the box.

I have searched High and low on google for information on network configuration with the minimal package. I mostly find the edits I already tried to the interfaces file or the GUI network manager. The most I found was what networking packages to install to add more tools but that requires apt-get that dosn't work with no network

I have also tried to get the wireless to work, but there is no device file (wlan0) created, dmesg shows it detecting the wireless but no indication that a device file was created.

I know your going to all ask for dumps of file configuration or results of command outputs, but understand that I have no way to cut and past that without networking...

I would very much welcome a "dummy's guide to Ubuntu Minimal networking config" if I can get it to connect I can take it from there.

Thanks for any information you could offer
Last edited by richt1 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

tobetter
languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: No Network on Ubuntu 18.04 MINIMAL on XU4

Unread post by tobetter » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:55 pm

richt1 wrote:I purchased an EMMC card with the desktop 18.04 on it. Worked well, configured easy from the command line, but I didn't want all the desktop environment on it since I was going to make is into a headless server. So I downloaded and installed the minimal image on the emmc card. Booted it up and started configuring the network. First thing I noticed was the ifconfig command was not installed by default, but ethtool was. I set up the /etc/network/interfaces file with the standard static IP configuration. rebooted. No network connection and no errors in the dmesg I then tried to use the dhcp setting that is normally the default. Still no network connection.

Thinking I did something wrong with the image I installed the desktop image on the card, and it worked perfectly Came up with a DHCP address right out of the box.

I have searched High and low on google for information on network configuration with the minimal package. I mostly find the edits I already tried to the interfaces file or the GUI network manager. The most I found was what networking packages to install to add more tools but that requires apt-get that dosn't work with no network

I have also tried to get the wireless to work, but there is no device file (wlan0) created, dmesg shows it detecting the wireless but no indication that a device file was created.

I know your going to all ask for dumps of file configuration or results of command outputs, but understand that I have no way to cut and past that without networking...

I would very much welcome a "dummy's guide to Ubuntu Minimal networking config" if I can get it to connect I can take it from there.

Thanks for any information you could offer
If you ODROID-XU4 doesn't catch the network for some reason, you also can download .deb packages from your PC and copy them to your eMMC using USB card reader, and install them with dpkg after booting the ODROID-XU4.
You can download the package net-tools from here and it shows the package's dependencies libc6 and libselinux1, libc6 must be installed already and libselinux1 might be, not sure. You also can download it and copy to your eMMC together just in case.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/bionic/arm ... 0-1ubuntu1

Then from ODROID-XU4, just run sudo dpkg -i net-tools_1.60+git20161116.90da8a0-1ubuntu1_armhf.deb then it will install the tools.

rooted

Re: No Network on Ubuntu 18.04 MINIMAL on XU4

Unread post by rooted » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:39 am

richt1
Has thanked: 0

Re: [SOLVED]No Network on Ubuntu 18.04 MINIMAL on XU4

Unread post by richt1 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:10 am

That is absolutely fantastic... You guys are the best.

So as it turns out (not like its wildly published or anything) that Ubuntu dosn't use the /etc/network/interfaces any more

You need to create a file called /etc/netplan/01-netconf.yaml. Then put the following lines of code

Code: Select all

network:
   ethernets:
      eth0:
         dhcp4: true
Run the following commands

netplan generate
netplan apply
Install net-tools with sudo apt install net-tools. This will give you the ifconfig command to see your IP address. Once you have that you can SSH and run the following commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
To set a static IP put the following into your /etc/netplan/01-netconf.yaml replacing the above code

network:
   ethernets:
      eth0:
         addresses:
            - static-ip/24
         gateway4: gateway-ip
         nameservers:
            addresses:
               - dns-ip-1
               - dns-ip-2
Run the following commands again... You will be disconnected from your SSH session, just reconnect to the new IP address

netplan generate
netplan apply
Hope this helps someone that new to Ubuntu and having the same issues configuring their network.

Thanks again for the help
These users thanked the author richt1 for the post:
nitant (Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:40 pm)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:18 am

Thanks for marking it solved and especially for the quick how-to.

Glad you got it sorted.

nitant
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by nitant » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:41 pm

richt1 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:10 am
That is absolutely fantastic... You guys are the best.

So as it turns out (not like its wildly published or anything) that Ubuntu dosn't use the /etc/network/interfaces any more
Thanks! Worked great on my XU4 running Ubuntu 18.04. Was trying "/etc/network/interfaces" and it even worked the first time around. But somehow stopped after a reboot

Return to “Ubuntu”