Could not install LCD 3.5 Touchscreen Shield @ ODROID C2

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Could not install LCD 3.5 Touchscreen Shield @ ODROID C2

Unread postby Ameridroid » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:08 am

I would like this to be reopened because everything goes right on both versions of Ubuntu until the sudo chvt 1 command is entered. (Please move if this seems out of topic)
The entire board seems to freeze. I cannot see anything being typed and cannot move mouse. I thought may just my screen (connected via HDMI) is the issue so I will remove HDMI. The backlight of 3.5 stays lit but no terminal at all.

Everything goes smooth until sudo chvt 1 is entered.

Any ideas?
Ameridroid

languages_spoken: english

Re: Could not install LCD 3.5 Touchscreen Shield @ ODROID C2

Unread postby odroid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 am

This topic has been split from other thread to make a better installation guide.
Let us know the Ubuntu image version and Kernel version first.
Is it 18.04? or 16.04? minimal? or Mate?

Did you run chvt 1 command from SSH or serial console?
https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/displ ... l_terminal
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Ameridroid » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:43 am

Thank you for the update and splitting this.

The version is 18.04, but I have run into the same problem with 16.04 as well. Someone mentioned that it may be an HDMI issue and that I should use SSH. Well I really want to try that but running into the problem with Ethernet connections for et0. Both versions were not mate. I am going to try mate next on the HDMI to try and rule out any OS issues. I will also try UART and see if that work.

I am really sorry to bother you all about this. I should have been testing this more and getting familiar. Just recently the customers have brought this to my attention so I have been digging in.

PS. Thank you T for sticking it out with me on Skype:)
Ameridroid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:13 pm

By the way I ran chvt from the the HDMI method. I will do it again from SSH and serial to test.
Ameridroid

Unread postby joshua.yang » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi @Ameridroid,

I've tested at my end with C2 18.04 Mate and Minimal. Attached 2 monitors, HDMI and 3.5 inch LCD.
And it works for switching output display for virtual terminal #1 (fb0 <-> fb2).

On a Minimal image, the screen on the HDMI connected monitor shows virtual terminal #1 since there's no X session by default.
So I saw that the screen switched from HDMI to 3.5 inch LCD when I entered con2fbmap 1 2 command through the HDMI monitor. Works without chvt 1 command 'cause it already on it.

On a Mate image, the screen on the monitor shows virtual terminal #7, which is for the X session by default.
So I needed to enter the command not only con2fbmap 1 2 but also chvt 1 to see a terminal on the 3.5 inch LCD. And when I entered chvt 7 through the small LCD, it switched to the HDMI monitor again and I could use that desktop environment.

Thus, it doesn't matter where the command chvt to be entered I think. But if an issue occurs, it is worth to try out via SSH or Serial(UART).
I've updated our Wiki page to add a simple sentence related to this. :)
joshua.yang

ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + Cloudshell2

Unread postby Ameridroid » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:29 am

Thank you so much for this information. This makes more sense now.

I will post here when I am successful.

Thank you again.

AD
Ameridroid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:50 am

Quick Question @joshua.yang

$ sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak is this needed ? I get the error cannot stat No such file or directory found.

AD
Ameridroid

Unread postby Ameridroid » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:12 am

Update:

OK. So on 16.04 I have been successful. Thank you very much. I think it might be good to have separate instructions for 18.04 because I keep going in circles.

You are awesome.

Now onto 18.04

AD
Ameridroid

Unread postby joshua.yang » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:38 am

Ameridroid wrote:Update:

OK. So on 16.04 I have been successful. Thank you very much. I think it might be good to have separate instructions for 18.04 because I keep going in circles.

You are awesome.

Now onto 18.04

AD

Glad to hear that. :)

Ameridroid wrote:$ sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak is this needed ? I get the error cannot stat No such file or directory found.

If it doesn't exist, you can ignore it and keep going to make a new xorg.conf file.

Actually, there's no big difference between 16.04 and 18.04 except only a few files locate in the different place. So I added just some instructions for C2 on 18.04.
e.g, xorg.conf file locates in as /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-odroidc2.conf on 18.04. 99-odroidc2.conf must be edited instead of xorg.conf on 16.04.

Anyway, If you face any problem with following the Wiki, let me know where does confuse you. I'll try to make that seems more clear. :)
joshua.yang

ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + Cloudshell2

Return to 3.5inch LCD Shield