Help! Blank Screen

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Help! Blank Screen

Unread postby OrangeDugong » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:53 am

Everything was working, I’d flashed firmware, got everything playing ok. I took my SD card to clean up some filenames, put it back in, turned on the unit, backlight comes on, but screen remains blank.

I’ve tried taking out the SD card, no change, not even the red SD card icon you’d expect. I’ve tried all the relevant button combinations Menu, Sound, B while power cycling the unit. No change. Tried firing up the tool to reflash the unit and it doesn’t recognize it, no device in device manager, and I repeated all the button combinations while turning it on. Also disconnected the battery, let it set a few minutes and reconnected, no change. Tried different cable and USB port on my PC, still nothing.

Just as I finished getting everything the way I wanted it. :x
OrangeDugong

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid-Go

Re: Help! Blank Screen

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:21 am

OrangeDugong wrote:Tried firing up the tool to reflash the unit and it doesn’t recognize it, no device in device manager

It sounds like a damaged board. The USB-UART chip is independent of the rest of the rest of the device. It is activated when a USB cable is attached regardless of the power state. Since it also controls the reset circuit to the rest of the board, it can prevent the rest of the board from operating if damaged.
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby odroid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:05 am

Warranty period is only four weeks if you bought it from us directly. https://www.hardkernel.com/main/payments.php
Otherwise, you have to check the warranty period of your local distributor.
Or, consider buying a spare board.
https://www.hardkernel.com/main/product ... 3177634219

BTW, can you see a "COM" port on your Windows PC when you tried to reinstall the firmware?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby OrangeDugong » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:37 am

I purchased via Amazon and already put in for the return.

No COM port appears in Windows Device Manager, and no device shows up in dmesg under Ubuntu. There is no recognition by the system that it is there at all (and as I said, tried different cable, different port, other things work in that port). And when it failed it was already assembled abd in the case working prior to that, so it’s not like ESD should be a factor.
OrangeDugong

Unread postby odroid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:05 am

You have to turn the device on to enable the USB connection.
Please check the voltage of P3V3 rail on the 10pin female header if you have a DMM.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid_go/odroi ... escription
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby OrangeDugong » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:26 pm

I’ve turned it on after connecting it, tried holding sound as I turn it on to try and force flash mode. Unfortunately, I no longer have a DMM, but the screen’s backlight does come in whenever I turn the switch on, but that’s the only indication that anything has changed. And no combination of holding menu, sound, B; nor the presence or absence of the SD card makes anything different happen.
OrangeDugong

Unread postby odroid » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:52 pm

I think something could be wrong with your hardware. Keep doing the RMA process with the Amazon seller.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby OrangeDugong » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:32 pm

RMA to AneriDroid via Amazon label printed and ready to go out tonight. *sniff* *sniff* *tear*

Thanks for the assistance. I’ll defintely be purchasing a replacement (Amazon doesn’t allow exchange since it’s out of stock).
OrangeDugong

Return to General Chat