Controlling the USB 2.0 ports power output?

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Controlling the USB 2.0 ports power output?

Unread postby My!es » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 pm

(sorry if this is the wrong section)

Firstly, loving UX4! I've been using B+ Rasps for ages.

Picked up this oDroid UX4 recently so far so good, well minus a little issue that's been driving me nuts.

Barring in mind my Linux skills are beginner but I can hack around a bit.

I got the UX4 with the heatsink after reading the fan was noisy. Now had I known I would be running the CPU quite hot when transcoding and such in Plex I would have gone that route.

So I have a little 50mm USB fan that sits on top of the heatsink and keeps it at a cool runnings 35-39'c .. of course, my issue now is it's pretty damn loud!

I'm using the USB 2.0 port, is there a way to control the power to this port? I'm running a DietPi Debian Linux install. I know in Windows you can control the USB power output between high and low.

1. one idea was to throttle the amount of power to the port to slow the fan down entirely
2. another was to simply spin it up when the CPU is stressed

Is this even possible? Open to suggestions as well. Thanks!
My!es

languages_spoken: english

Re: Controlling the USB 2.0 ports power output?

Unread postby tobetter » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:23 am

Technically, I think it's possible if you only need to control the power on the USB port.
The problem is that you would hack the USB host phy driver, since VBUS on USB 2.0 host port is not controlled by GPIO.
Another option is to control the fan with a gpio port or PWM with FET to drive the power to the fan. This also requires some driver work.

FYI, https://evilshit.wordpress.com/2016/05/ ... droid-xu4/
tobetter

languages_spoken: Korean, English
ODROIDs: X, X2, U2, U3, XU3, C1

Re: Controlling the USB 2.0 ports power output?

Unread postby My!es » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:37 am

tobetter wrote:Technically, I think it's possible if you only need to control the power on the USB port.
The problem is that you would hack the USB host phy driver, since VBUS on USB 2.0 host port is not controlled by GPIO.
Another option is to control the fan with a gpio port or PWM with FET to drive the power to the fan. This also requires some driver work.

FYI, https://evilshit.wordpress.com/2016/05/ ... droid-xu4/

Ah nice tut, I'll be checking this out over the weekend. Appreciate the quick reply.
My!es

languages_spoken: english

Return to Projects