The media center between expectations and questions

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

The media center between expectations and questions

Unread postby znourf » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:39 pm

With 1170 matches i spent hours reading and not getting what i wanted. But then again what i want might not be obtainable unless i'm not thinking as i should.

SO WHAT IS IT I "WANT" ?

Well i didn't ask for an integrated coffee machine but what would be great is to have a guide that states possible solutions for NAS , Media center , home CCTV ect.

What i want is a 4k solution with nas to stock my 2 hard drives with all my pics and vids that i can go and search , watch , share over the web and at the same time watch TV programs like netflix ect. In a way what i can do with my computer but dedicated to my TV for the media part and for the familly network for the "NAS" while using up very little current.
So what way to go?
Cloudshell 2 ?
C2 + HC1/2 ?
maybe something i forgot or didn't look into ?
then come the software.
My brain is shooting around and i'm simply wondering why there isn't a simple repositery stating : Media center here is my config and here is the soft i use. With an official : media center here is our ref specs.
znourf

languages_spoken: english

Re: The media center between expectations and questions

Unread postby odroid » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:56 pm

LibreELEC(CoreELEC) on C2 with OMV/Ubuntu-server on HC2 seems to be a right solution.
Let's see other users' recommendation.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby memeka » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:49 pm

4K rules out XU4.
memeka

ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby ulfben » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:34 pm

Separate the two (NAS and media unit) and your life becomes a whole lot easier.

For media, you can't beat the Vero 4k - it's a low power piece of hardware custom built to run Kodi. 4K, H265, HDR10, 3D content, HD audio - it runs anything. It will run files from local USB-drives, network attached storage, or stream from the web. It can also transcode and provide streams to all your other (UPNP media) devices at home (I recommend Yatse (Android app) for remote access to your Vero and media).

Then you can use whatever you want for a NAS.
ulfben

ODROIDs: XU4Q

Unread postby rooted » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:48 am

ulfben wrote:Separate the two (NAS and media unit) and your life becomes a whole lot easier.

For media, you can't beat the Vero 4k - it's a low power piece of hardware custom built to run Kodi. 4K, H265, HDR10, 3D content, HD audio - it runs anything. It will run files from local USB-drives, network attached storage, or stream from the web. It can also transcode and provide streams to all your other (UPNP media) devices at home (I recommend Yatse (Android app) for remote access to your Vero and media).

Then you can use whatever you want for a NAS.
Not sure why anyone would spend $150 on a vero when an Odroid C2 will do everything it does (less HDR) for $46.
rooted

Unread postby deivid » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:57 am

I have a C2 but I am finding Hi10p more and more often. Is there a device that will play h265 and hi10p (all 1080p) on linux/kodi?
deivid

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: U2

Unread postby rooted » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:03 am

deivid wrote:I have a C2 but I am finding Hi10p more and more often. Is there a device that will play h265 and hi10p (all 1080p) on linux/kodi?
That's just 10bit h264, look for a device that does that.

I'm relatively sure the XU4 can software decode 10bit h264 at 720, probably not high bitrate 1080p 10bit though.

See this:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Hi10P
rooted

Unread postby deivid » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:23 am

rooted wrote:
deivid wrote:I have a C2 but I am finding Hi10p more and more often. Is there a device that will play h265 and hi10p (all 1080p) on linux/kodi?
That's just 10bit h264, look for a device that does that.

I'm relatively sure the XU4 can software decode 10bit h264 at 720, probably not high bitrate 1080p 10bit though.

See this:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Hi10P

I know that. Sorry my message wasn't clear - I was looking for recommendations for a (kodi) sbc that can play h264 10bit and h265; both at 1080p
deivid

languages_spoken: english, spanish
ODROIDs: U2

Unread postby rooted » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:32 am

You need the most powerful SBC you can find (CPU wise).

I would wait and see what the Odroid N2 specs are going to be, should be revealed very soon.
rooted

Unread postby ulfben » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:09 am

rooted wrote:Not sure why anyone would spend $150 on a vero when an Odroid C2 will do everything it does (less HDR) for $46.

Anyone who prefer to watch movies rather than fiddle with the setup. The C2 might be cheap, but you're not comparing apples to apples unless you add in the cost of shipping, a remote, an SD-card, power adapter, WiFi and Bluetooth adapter, HDMI cabling and a box. Plus the time to install everything and setting it up.

The £120 Vero is a genuine bargain in my mind. Free shipping, arrives ready-to-run with 1 year warranty and 5 years of guaranteed software updates. Plus it supports vastly more file formats than the C2 does.
ulfben

ODROIDs: XU4Q

Unread postby rooted » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:34 am

ulfben wrote:
rooted wrote:Not sure why anyone would spend $150 on a vero when an Odroid C2 will do everything it does (less HDR) for $46.

Anyone who prefer to watch movies rather than fiddle with the setup. The C2 might be cheap, but you're not comparing apples to apples unless you add in the cost of shipping, a remote, an SD-card, power adapter, WiFi and Bluetooth adapter, HDMI cabling and a box. Plus the time to install everything and setting it up.

The £120 Vero is a genuine bargain in my mind. Free shipping, arrives ready-to-run with 1 year warranty and 5 years of guaranteed software updates. Plus it supports vastly more file formats than the C2 does.

What formats would these be? I also wouldn't call flashing LibreELEC fiddling with their set-up, but that's me.

If you need HDR by all means the C2 is the wrong device. Just like if you need 4K the XU4 is the wrong device for you.
rooted

Return to General Chat