Need Staggered Drive Spin Up

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Need Staggered Drive Spin Up

Unread postby bebop_man » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Can we get a firmware or other update to allow for a staggered power-on for the Cloudshell 2? That wimpy little 15v/4a AC adapter just doesn't seem to have the oomph to get my system to power up cleanly.

I've got 2 Seagate 1TB hard drives, and the specs call for a max draw of 2A each. The 4A adapter just can't spin them both up at the same time. And 15V adapters are hard to come by, so it's not like I can pick up a 15V/6A from my local Radio Shack.

But, if we can get it so that each drive spins up in turn, then the 15V/4A adapter can run the system otherwise just fine.
bebop_man

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: x1 C1, x2 C2, x3 XU4.

Re: Need Staggered Drive Spin Up

Unread postby odroid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:37 am

There is no hardware capability to control the HDD power sequence.

Since the 15V/4A PSU actual output is near 5Amp, there should be a room to handle two 2Amp HDDs.
Do you have a USB-UART kit to monitor the boot process? Let's try to narrow down root causes.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby bebop_man » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:32 pm

I do not have a USB UART available, but I can get one. I'll check back in when I have it and can continue with the trouble shooting.

The symptom I get is that when I power on the system, I can hear each drive start to power on. The platters whine as they come up to speed, then the whine stops after 3-4 seconds. After a second, the drive starts to spin again, and the process repeats. About half the time, the drives will continue in the loop, and boot process fails to proceed. The other times, the drives are able to spin up to speed eventually, and there is the brief chatter from the heads, and the system will boot as normal, providing access to the drives. To me, this appears to be a case of the drive current requirements exceeding the capability of the PSU.
bebop_man

ODROIDs: x1 C1, x2 C2, x3 XU4.

Unread postby Helmut » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:49 pm

Perhaps have a look at what SMARt is saying - there's an entry "Spin-Up Time"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

You should be able to get this information with this command:
Code: Select all
smartctl --all /dev/sda -d sat
Helmut

Return to CloudShell