How to know if my XU4 have a bug ?

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

How to know if my XU4 have a bug ?

Unread postby ghibli44 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:21 pm

At first sorry for my poor english (I'm French).

I tested my XU4 with Antutu benchmark and I have a good score and I don't know test in order to find where is the source of my issue.

I had tested retropie (odroid arena), batocera and recalbox and I have the same problem with a slow emulation on N64 and PSX.
For example Fzero X and Yoshi sotry are very slow (I have not the fps but I would say max 50% of the full speed) and the worst is with Ridge Racer on psx, the race begins and I still have my car stucked at the beginning but I hear the sound of the race several seconds.

The same roms works perfectly on my raspberry pi 3.

I have an official 6A power supplie for my XU4 (with official fan cooling).

I tried 2 microsd cards from sandisk and 1 from lexar, still the same.

With android I have better results with N64, even with psx (I don't paid for epsx so I'm not sure of the quality of the emulation).
But with android I'm far away from a system "plug n play" and far from the videos on youtube with emulation near perfection on N64 with retropie.

If someone can tell me if I had a material issue with my odroid or an idea to fix it, it would be nice ! ;)
ghibli44

languages_spoken: english,french
ODROIDs: XU4, OGST game kit

Re: How to know if my XU4 have a bug ?

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:31 pm

I played F-Zero X and Ridge Racer 4 on my XU4 without any issue they run full speed, never tried Yoshi though.
But then again, I don't use retropie nor batocera or recalbox so I can't say anything about their performance.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby ghibli44 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:56 pm

Wich emulator do you have for psx games, under android ?
I have psppp but it run only psp games and not ps1 unfortunately.
ghibli44

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:07 pm

I don't use android, I only use Linux on ODROIDs I have my own images called OGST (ODROID GameStation Turbo)
It's using retroarch with libretro cores for PSX. I'm using pcsx1 as the core of choice for PS1 games.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby ghibli44 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:22 pm

I have the same bugs with OGST than Odroid arena, batocera and recalbox. :(
ghibli44

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 pm

you should try observing CPU load and maybe test some GPU benchmarks to see if there's something wrong with the board.
meveric

Unread postby ghibli44 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:48 am

Have you the name of softwares to do that ?
ghibli44

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:52 am

htop can do CPU nicely.
GPU can be tested with glmark2-es or es2gears
meveric

Unread postby ghibli44 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:47 pm

I have a score of 46 with glmark2 under ubuntu, don't know if it is good or bad.
ghibli44

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:09 am

glmark2 or glmark2-es2?
46 is too low with Kernel 3.10 it should be closer to 55 or something
Ubuntu normally comes with Kernel 4.14 and G2D acceleration this should give 200, 300 or more FPS.
You can check your kernel version with uname -r
If you use glmark2-es2 --fullscreen --annotate you should nearly constantly show close to 60 FPS (no matter if you use Kernel 4.14 or 3.10) This is what is required for retroarch to work properly.
If glmark2-es2 can output 60 FPS in fullscreen mode so should retroarch.
meveric

Unread postby ghibli44 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:03 am

4.14 5-92
maybe I need drivers for opengl or something is missing in the library ??

with glmark2 -es2 --fullscreen --annotate , I have command not found
ghibli44

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:10 am

Kernel 4.14.5 is very outdated you should update your system.
If glmark2-es2 is not found you have to install it: sudo apt install glmark2-es2
meveric

Unread postby ghibli44 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:57 pm

I have now 147 with glmark2 (fullscreen), still doesn't know if it is an issue with the board, the power supply, the heatsink or something else.
ghibli44

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:28 am

power supply would show different symptoms. Unexpected reboots, or freezes of the system.
Heatsink or heatsensor might cause an issue as it can clock down the system to 900 MHz rather than 2000 MHz but you can check on that easily by checking the current cpu frequency
Code: Select all
watch sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu4/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq
it should show 2000000 if it shows 900000 instead then it's getting too hot and clocks down.

I can't speak for other OSes but on my OGST image PSX should work fine if you provided BIOS files under /home/odroid/ROMS I don't see any slowdowns on PS1 emulation on my side. N64 is a different topic as it's a very hard to emulate system.

You can start PSX games from terminal and watch the output with the command:
libretro-xbmc pcsx1 <PATH-to-ISO-or-CUE-file>

for example:
libretro-xbmc pcsx1 /home/odroid/ROMS/PSX/Ridge\ Racer\ Type\ 4.iso

You can also activate framecounter inside the retoarch menu allowing you to monitor the actual framerate of the emulator.
meveric

Return to OGST-XU4