Controllers not registering

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Controllers not registering

Unread postby Traiklin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Just got my OGST Console kit and everything is hooked up but so far I am unable to get the majority of controllers working.

I have tried the N64 Retrolink controller, Logitech Wired Controller & Xbox 360 Controller, The first two don't even register and the 360 controller doesn't power on at all.

I have gotten one controller to work but it doesn't register the two analog sticks and just thinks it's another directional button for both sticks.

I'm not sure why it's not showing up on OGST but it does in other distros.
Traiklin
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:37 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: UX4

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:46 pm

I have several different controllers, some no-name controller along them, as well as wireless XBox 360, wired and wireless PS3, GameSir G3w and G3s, they all work out of the box.
Especially XBox 360 should work out of the box as every emulator should be pre-configured for this controller.

If you say the controllers are not even "powered" it seems that maybe the OGST Console Kit might be damanged and the USB ports are not working correctly.
Have you tried the single USB 2.0 port on the backside instead? It's directly connected to the board.

What Kernel version are you using?
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
User avatar
meveric
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby Traiklin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:36 am

I restarted the system and they showed up all of a sudden.
The 360 controller I think is messed up though, when I plugged it into the PC itself and it actually powered off the USB with an error that it caused a power surge.
Traiklin
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:37 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: UX4

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby Traiklin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:52 pm

I Got a new problem now, I Have a Bluetooth adapter and followed the instructions to get the PS3 controller working, it shows up registers and even the Bluetooth registers the same code when I run sixpair but when I unplug the USB it just flashes but never actually connects
Traiklin
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:37 am
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: UX4

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:59 pm

you can try starting sixad manually to see more output.
Sixad sometimes is a bit tricky as it kills normal bluetooth.

Try sixad --start
then press the button and see if it works.
If sixad --start already cause a issue, try rebooting and do a sixad --stop first then sixad --start

Could be that you have to start it as root, but I think the program should tell you.
Normally after you got it to run once, simply restarting the system means it should always work.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
User avatar
meveric
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby m4f2g » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:31 am

"Same Problem" here...
I am NOT using that OGST (now), UbMate 18.04 but i have plugged in that n64 screen and usb dongle which works well as intended as usb-hub...

So everytime i plug in those GameSir Gamepad in any usb port port; i tried every usb port; each of the n64 hub, both usb 3.0 and those backside usb2.0 panel it does not recognize anything.

lsusb does not gave any information about the gamepad although it worked properly (just plugged in) on a PC whether Windows or Ubuntu was booted.
Lights are on, if its plugged in.

I tried to install xboxdrv or ubuntu-xboxdrv (packagename might be incorrect); After i downloaded sc-controller from github and followed those install instructions; control panel got a new entry via lsusb, but i can't start those keymapper or whatever it is which came with sc-controller.

Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0bda:8153 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 152d:0578 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp.
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05e3:0616 Genesys Logic, Inc. hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 04d9:1400 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. PS/2 keyboard + mouse controller
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 09da:9090 A4Tech Co., Ltd. XL-730K / XL-750BK / XL-755BK Mice
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0d8c:013c C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM108 Audio Controller
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:028e Microsoft Corp. Xbox360 Controller
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I am using those 6 Amps Power Supply; and changed about summer temps to an different case; hominoid + noctua temps are on firefox / chrome multibrowsing around below 80°C... it still "crashes" sometimes on too much load.

I dont get it, why it is so hard get this device working with that gamepad... :( Later i try to connect one simple ps4-controller...
Edit: No input... recognizes just ax xb. 360 gamepad.
m4f2g
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Baden, Germany
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: 2 [XU4] modified,
HominoidSplit Air Case + freefloating OGST-n64 Front Panel

VU7a+ as "mobile"screen in ameridroid vu7 tablet

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:39 am

If you're using Ubuntu 18.04 you're also having Kernel 4.14, under Kernel 4.14 the GameSir G3w is pretending to be an XBox 360 controller:

m4f2g wrote:Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:028e Microsoft Corp. Xbox360 Controller
Edit: No input... recognizes just ax xb. 360 gamepad.


I'm not sure if this is working correctly.
You have to check under /dev/input/ to see if there's a joystick device (js0) if so you can probably try something like jstest-gtk to see if the controller works at all.
Or even try evtest or joystick to test on an even lower level if the device is working.

Generally it seems that this controller has quite some issues unter Kernel 4.14 while with Kernel 3.10 it works rather well.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
User avatar
meveric
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby m4f2g » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:50 pm

evtest got this...
this is clearly
Code: Select all
[size=50]odroid@odroid:~/Schreibtisch$ evtest
No device specified, trying to scan all of /dev/input/event*
Not running as root, no devices may be available.
Available devices:
/dev/input/event0:   DELL Dell QuietKey Keyboard
/dev/input/event1:   A4TECH USB Device
/dev/input/event2:   A4TECH USB Device
/dev/input/event3:   Creative Technology Ltd SB Omni Surround 5.1
/dev/input/event4:   gpio_keys
/dev/input/event5:   Microsoft X-Box 360 pad
Select the device event number [0-5]: 5
Input driver version is 1.0.1
Input device ID: bus 0x3 vendor 0x45e product 0x28e version 0x110
Input device name: "Microsoft X-Box 360 pad"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (EV_SYN)
  Event type 1 (EV_KEY)
    Event code 304 (BTN_SOUTH)
    Event code 305 (BTN_EAST)
    Event code 307 (BTN_NORTH)
    Event code 308 (BTN_WEST)
    Event code 310 (BTN_TL)
    Event code 311 (BTN_TR)
    Event code 314 (BTN_SELECT)
    Event code 315 (BTN_START)
    Event code 316 (BTN_MODE)
    Event code 317 (BTN_THUMBL)
    Event code 318 (BTN_THUMBR)
  Event type 3 (EV_ABS)
    Event code 0 (ABS_X)
      Value      0
      Min   -32768
      Max    32767
      Fuzz      16
      Flat     128
    Event code 1 (ABS_Y)
      Value      0
      Min   -32768
      Max    32767
      Fuzz      16
      Flat     128
    Event code 2 (ABS_Z)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max      255
    Event code 3 (ABS_RX)
      Value      0
      Min   -32768
      Max    32767
      Fuzz      16
      Flat     128
    Event code 4 (ABS_RY)
      Value      0
      Min   -32768
      Max    32767
      Fuzz      16
      Flat     128
    Event code 5 (ABS_RZ)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max      255
    Event code 16 (ABS_HAT0X)
      Value      0
      Min       -1
      Max        1
    Event code 17 (ABS_HAT0Y)
      Value      0
      Min       -1
      Max        1
  Event type 21 (EV_FF)
    Event code 80 (FF_RUMBLE)
    Event code 81 (FF_PERIODIC)
    Event code 88 (FF_SQUARE)
    Event code 89 (FF_TRIANGLE)
    Event code 90 (FF_SINE)
    Event code 96 (FF_GAIN)
Properties:
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)[/size]


If i start js-test; it showed me xb360pad is connected, but it does not get any input from the keys, axes, keypad nothing anything... as it would be broken...
Tested in on another xu4 (ubuntu mate 18.04); same result; recognized but no input.
m4f2g
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Baden, Germany
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: 2 [XU4] modified,
HominoidSplit Air Case + freefloating OGST-n64 Front Panel

VU7a+ as "mobile"screen in ameridroid vu7 tablet

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby meveric » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:28 pm

I just found the solution to this issue yesterday.
The problem is Kernel 4.14 and GameSir G3w.

Under Kernel 4.14 the GameSir G3w has 2 modes, the broken X-Input mode where the controller is found as XBox 360 controller and an "Android"-Mode where the controller is found as a GameSir G3w again.
The X-Input mode with the XBox 360 controller seems to be completely broken under Kernel 4.14 but the Android mode works fine.
To switch between Android and X-Input mode you need to press and hold the GameSir button for about 5 seconds (maybe a little longer).
On the bottom of the controller there are 4 LEDs where only the first is lid by default. When you hold the GameSir button for 5 sec, the second LED should light up as well, which indicates you're now in Android mode.
From then on the controller is found as GameSir G3w again and works as expected.

It has a different VID/PID as under Kernel 3.10 as well as a different button layout, so I will update retroarch soon with a new config file for Kernel 4.14.
But that won't help you with your Ubuntu image, you will have to handle config yourself.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
User avatar
meveric
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby m4f2g » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:20 am

Thaaaaaaaanks alllooot;

now i could test it and it works; under lubuntu 18.04 AMD64 under kernel 4.15.0-32.
Works only under "android Mode" but it works fine...

It even works with xu4 on ub 18.04 4.14.66-147

GREAT
m4f2g
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 am
Location: Baden, Germany
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: 2 [XU4] modified,
HominoidSplit Air Case + freefloating OGST-n64 Front Panel

VU7a+ as "mobile"screen in ameridroid vu7 tablet

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby Ameridroid » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:32 am

meveric wrote:I just found the solution to this issue yesterday.
The problem is Kernel 4.14 and GameSir G3w.

Under Kernel 4.14 the GameSir G3w has 2 modes, the broken X-Input mode where the controller is found as XBox 360 controller and an "Android"-Mode where the controller is found as a GameSir G3w again.
The X-Input mode with the XBox 360 controller seems to be completely broken under Kernel 4.14 but the Android mode works fine.
To switch between Android and X-Input mode you need to press and hold the GameSir button for about 5 seconds (maybe a little longer).
On the bottom of the controller there are 4 LEDs where only the first is lid by default. When you hold the GameSir button for 5 sec, the second LED should light up as well, which indicates you're now in Android mode.
From then on the controller is found as GameSir G3w again and works as expected.

It has a different VID/PID as under Kernel 3.10 as well as a different button layout, so I will update retroarch soon with a new config file for Kernel 4.14.
But that won't help you with your Ubuntu image, you will have to handle config yourself.


@ODROID this needs to be addressed. This has created a bunch of problems with customers. The image should work out of the box with the instructions given. Not bricking the controller for updating the kernel. Are we offering a retro game system or are we offering a tinkering game system.

I would really like to see a solid image working with the hardware offered as an accessory ie; the GameSir Controller.

Thank you
Stephen
Ameridroid
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:19 am
languages_spoken: english

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby meveric » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:18 am

Ameridroid wrote:
meveric wrote:I just found the solution to this issue yesterday.
The problem is Kernel 4.14 and GameSir G3w.

Under Kernel 4.14 the GameSir G3w has 2 modes, the broken X-Input mode where the controller is found as XBox 360 controller and an "Android"-Mode where the controller is found as a GameSir G3w again.
The X-Input mode with the XBox 360 controller seems to be completely broken under Kernel 4.14 but the Android mode works fine.
To switch between Android and X-Input mode you need to press and hold the GameSir button for about 5 seconds (maybe a little longer).
On the bottom of the controller there are 4 LEDs where only the first is lid by default. When you hold the GameSir button for 5 sec, the second LED should light up as well, which indicates you're now in Android mode.
From then on the controller is found as GameSir G3w again and works as expected.

It has a different VID/PID as under Kernel 3.10 as well as a different button layout, so I will update retroarch soon with a new config file for Kernel 4.14.
But that won't help you with your Ubuntu image, you will have to handle config yourself.


@ODROID this needs to be addressed.

This was already addressed months ago, the updated retroarch package is available and has the correct config for Kernel 4.14 support in retroarch.
If users are confident enough to update to an "unrecommended" Kernel, they should be able to update the retroarch package that IS recommended as well.

Ameridroid wrote:The image should work out of the box with the instructions given.

Which it does, updating Kernel to 4.14 is not a recommended thing to do in fact it is discouraged:
meveric wrote:Kernel 4.14 comes with a performance hit of about 15% throughout all emulators although it offers other features, like G2D and hardware accelerated ffmpeg support.
If you want the best retro experience you should stick with Kernel 3.10

From what I know ALL gaming images for the XU4 prefer the Kernel 3.10 over Kernel 4.14.
ORA, RetroPie, Lakka, Batocera, Recalbox, etc.

Ameridroid wrote: Not bricking the controller for updating the kernel.

The controller is not "bricked" by updating the Kernel, the Kernel handles the controller differently and in fact finds it as a different controller.
This is an issue with the KERNEL and NOT (!!!) with the image!

Ameridroid wrote:Are we offering a retro game system or are we offering a tinkering game system.

YOU are offering hardware. You are not involved in any way of providing software.
You are not even involved in improving the software by raising a bug, or coming forward trying to solve the issue.
Instead you complain the way you just did.

Ameridroid wrote:I would really like to see a solid image working with the hardware offered as an accessory ie; the GameSir Controller.

Which it does, if you don't mess around with things you apparently do not understand.
The issue was solved, an issue for something that is NOT RECOMMENDED to do in the first place.
The hardware is fully supported, the issues is not even caused by the IMAGE but by the KERNEL which this image has no control over!
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
User avatar
meveric
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby Ameridroid » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:43 am

meveric wrote:
Ameridroid wrote:
meveric wrote:I just found the solution to this issue yesterday.
The problem is Kernel 4.14 and GameSir G3w.

Under Kernel 4.14 the GameSir G3w has 2 modes, the broken X-Input mode where the controller is found as XBox 360 controller and an "Android"-Mode where the controller is found as a GameSir G3w again.
The X-Input mode with the XBox 360 controller seems to be completely broken under Kernel 4.14 but the Android mode works fine.
To switch between Android and X-Input mode you need to press and hold the GameSir button for about 5 seconds (maybe a little longer).
On the bottom of the controller there are 4 LEDs where only the first is lid by default. When you hold the GameSir button for 5 sec, the second LED should light up as well, which indicates you're now in Android mode.
From then on the controller is found as GameSir G3w again and works as expected.

It has a different VID/PID as under Kernel 3.10 as well as a different button layout, so I will update retroarch soon with a new config file for Kernel 4.14.
But that won't help you with your Ubuntu image, you will have to handle config yourself.


@ODROID this needs to be addressed.

This was already addressed months ago, the updated retroarch package is available and has the correct config for Kernel 4.14 support in retroarch.
If users are confident enough to update to an "unrecommended" Kernel, they should be able to update the retroarch package that IS recommended as well.

You are correct. I should have totally reread that. I think I was just overwhelmed with the customers who followed the instructions to setup and then called us complaining that the controller did not work. I was able to get it to work without the dist-upgrade. Thank you for clarifying that point.

Ameridroid wrote:The image should work out of the box with the instructions given.

Which it does, updating Kernel to 4.14 is not a recommended thing to do in fact it is discouraged:
Again thank you for clarifying that as well.

meveric wrote:Kernel 4.14 comes with a performance hit of about 15% throughout all emulators although it offers other features, like G2D and hardware accelerated ffmpeg support.
If you want the best retro experience you should stick with Kernel 3.10

From what I know ALL gaming images for the XU4 prefer the Kernel 3.10 over Kernel 4.14.
ORA, RetroPie, Lakka, Batocera, Recalbox, etc.

So even doing the dist-upgrade is still working with Kernel 3 series correct?

Ameridroid wrote: Not bricking the controller for updating the kernel.

The controller is not "bricked" by updating the Kernel, the Kernel handles the controller differently and in fact finds it as a different controller.
This is an issue with the KERNEL and NOT (!!!) with the image!

Again I am sorry for the confusion and I will test from the latest wiki to make sure I have my ducks in line.

Ameridroid wrote:Are we offering a retro game system or are we offering a tinkering game system.

YOU are offering hardware. You are not involved in any way of providing software.
You are not even involved in improving the software by raising a bug, or coming forward trying to solve the issue.
Instead you complain the way you just did.

I am sorry for sounding like I am complaining because I am not. And I understand that the development is not an easy task. I will do more testing and if I find a bug I will let you know.

Ameridroid wrote:I would really like to see a solid image working with the hardware offered as an accessory ie; the GameSir Controller.

Which it does, if you don't mess around with things you apparently do not understand.
The issue was solved, an issue for something that is NOT RECOMMENDED to do in the first place.
The hardware is fully supported, the issues is not even caused by the IMAGE but by the KERNEL which this image has no control over!


I understand this part now. Thank you for clarifying again. As well I will do more through tests before I open the worm can.
Ameridroid
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:19 am
languages_spoken: english

Re: Controllers not registering

Unread postby meveric » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:50 am

Ameridroid wrote:So even doing the dist-upgrade is still working with Kernel 3 series correct?

dist-upgrade does not update the Kernel from 3.10 to 4.14 if that's what you're asking.
But yes, dist-upgrade should not break the controller support.

Ameridroid wrote:I am sorry for sounding like I am complaining because I am not. And I understand that the development is not an easy task. I will do more testing and if I find a bug I will let you know.

It's always good to get feedback, that way I can try to improve, or fix issues that come up.
Just yesterday I was able to fix a long standing bug with Kodi on ODROID C2, so yes, feedback and requests can trigger some really good things.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
User avatar
meveric
 
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go


Return to OGST-XU4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests