OGST w/ GameSir G3w

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

OGST w/ GameSir G3w

Unread postby bebop_man » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:46 am

Got my OGST case and controllers (GameSir G3w) a couple weeks ago. Got the image set up and mounted the ROM's on an SSD, and it all boots properly.

But it will not recognize my controllers. When I launch RetroArch directly, it recognizes when I connect and disconnect the G3w's, but will no respond when I press any buttons.

If I plug in a MadKatz xbox 360 controller, the buttons work and I can program them for use with the emulators.

What am I missing here?
bebop_man

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: x1 C1, x2 C2, x3 XU4.

Re: OGST w/ GameSir G3w

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 am

please try:
Code: Select all
apt-get install --reinstall retroarch-odroid
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby bebop_man » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:17 pm

That did not seem to make a difference.

When I unplug the G3w: "100% Device disconnected from port #0 (Microsoft X Box 360 pad)"

When I reconnect it: "100%: Microsoft x Box 360 pad (1118/654) not configured"

It doesn't appear to be function in any of the emulators, such as EmulationStation
bebop_man

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:30 pm

bebop_man wrote:That did not seem to make a difference.

When I unplug the G3w: "100% Device disconnected from port #0 (Microsoft X Box 360 pad)"

Are you using Kernel 4.14? Normally the gamepad is found as Xiaoji GameSir G3w not as Microsoft X Box 360 pad.
But I believe with Kernel 4.14 it's found as such.

bebop_man wrote:When I reconnect it: "100%: Microsoft x Box 360 pad (1118/654) not configured"

This means no configuration file for this controller exists yet. As I said normally the gamepad is found as Xiaoji GameSir G3w, but if you changed the Kernel you might have to create a new config for the controller.
Start "Setup ODROID GameStation Turbo" from the desktop and select "Add Controller Config (for retroarch)" this should allow you to create a config file for the controller.
I haven't tested this for Kernel 4.14 and that gamepad yet so I can't promise it will work but there's I high chance it will.

bebop_man wrote:...in any of the emulators, such as EmulationStation

EmulationStation is NOT an emulator, EmulationStation has NOTHING to do with emulation.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby bebop_man » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:00 pm

Yes, the kernel version is 4.14.52+

Running the Add Controller Config did not get me much farther. All the requests for the button presses timed out. I swapped between different USB ports in case my definition of port #1 was different from the OGST's, and while the disconnect and reconnect generated events ([udev]: Hotplug remove: /dev/input/js0 and Hotplug remove: /dev/input/event2 ), the button presses continued to time out. the Add Controller Config does detect it as Xiaoji Gamesir-G3w, though.

Both G3w controllers exhibit the same issue, but the MadKatz and Logitech F310 gamepads work as I expected the Gamesirs to.

During the start up of the Controller Config, I get several lines displaying the following error

/usr/local/sbin/add_joyconfig: line 118: [: -eq: unary operator expected

edit- typo in line #
bebop_man

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 pm

yeah the add_joyconfig tool is rather new and not 100% complete but does the job... a compare failed.
It tries to compare the vendor id, but apparently fails to get it here, it seems the Xiaoji Gamesir-G3w under Kernel 4.14 acts much differently then under 3.10 and does provide the Vender and Product ID in a different manner, which I have to investigate further.
Generally I advice against using Kernel 4.14 if you want to use the image mainly for emulation, as the Kernel 4.14 is slower than Kernel 3.10 when it comes to emulator performance.
You get an overall 15% hit on each emulator, which is especially bad for emulators that already have a hard time on ARM boards such as N64, Dreamcast, 3DO, PC-FX and a few others.

If you want best emulator performance you should stay with Kernel 3.10.
meveric

Unread postby bebop_man » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 pm

Heh, the only reason I did the kernel upgrade was it was listed int the OGST steps. I'm not super awesome at linux, just enough to find my way around. Is there a simple way to downgrade the kernel, or am I better off just starting from scratch ?
bebop_man

Unread postby meveric » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:24 am

if you've already installed the newer armsoc driver you had to manually download then it's probably easier to reflash the image.
But you can fix this as well if you're willing to do so (Let me know if you want/have to do this).

If you have not installed the newer armsoc drivers it's fairly easy to revert to the older Kernel:

First, keep cool
As long as you don't restart the system nothing can happen even if you delete the entire kernel the system will keep running, and you have plenty of time to fix any issues you might encounter.

You can install the old Kernel by installing the package linux-image-armhf-odroid-xu3 and linux-headers-armhf-odroid-xu3
It will remove Kernel 4.14 and install Kernel 3.10 but you need to manually adjust /boot/boot.ini before you restart.
Search for:
fatload mmc 0:1 0x40008000 zImage
fatload mmc 0:1 0x42000000 uInitrd
if test "${board_name}" = "xu4"; then fatload mmc 0:1 0x44000000 exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb; setenv fdtloaded "true"; fi
if test "${board_name}" = "xu3"; then fatload mmc 0:1 0x44000000 exynos5422-odroidxu3.dtb; setenv fdtloaded "true"; fi
if test "${board_name}" = "xu3l"; then fatload mmc 0:1 0x44000000 exynos5422-odroidxu3-lite.dtb; setenv fdtloaded "true"; fi
#failsafe
if test "x${board_name}" = "x"; then fatload mmc 0:1 0x44000000 exynos5422-odroidxu4.dtb; fi

and change it manually to:

fatload mmc 0:1 0x40008000 zImage
fatload mmc 0:1 0x42000000 uInitrd
fatload mmc 0:1 0x44000000 exynos5422-odroidxu3.dtb

That should be enough. After the Kernel is installed check the content of /boot/ and see if the following files are present:
boot.ini
exynos5422-odroidxu3.dtb
uInitrd
zImage

If any of these files are missing or if you encounter any issues during installation of the Kernel do NOT restart the system but report back here, as long as you do not restart the system nothing can happen and you can always correct any issues, so no worry.
meveric

Unread postby bebop_man » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:36 am

Appreciate the tips. I'll give it a shot just for fun when I get home tonight. I've no problem re-flashing the SD card, as all my ROM's are on a 2nd SSD, so there's my plan B if anything breaks
bebop_man

Unread postby bebop_man » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:49 am

I ended up having to reflash the EMMC card. But going through the normal setup and update process, skipping the 4.14 kernel update, gave me a functional system with working gamepads.

Now I just need to figure out how to get a C64 emulator on it
bebop_man

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:40 pm

There are two options for C64 emulation available.
Either directly installing vice apt-get install vice-odroid or using the vice_x64 libretro core apt-install libretro-vice-x64
vice-odroid will give you the full standalone emulator with lots of options, while the libretro core will be easier to integrate in EmulationStation or whateverv frontend you use :)
meveric

Return to OGST-XU4