Game Boy Color Saving Issues

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Game Boy Color Saving Issues

Unread postby Vacnatz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:41 am

Hiya!

It seems like saving breaks when I return to the menu, or maybe i have misunderstood how the save files work.

In many cases (Tetris DX, Cave Noire, GBW3, LSDJ), saving appears to work, but when the game makes a call to the save file, it doesnt seem to find the data.

For example,

Cave Noire saves after each successful level, but on returning to the level select only the original stages are available to play.

LSDJ creates a saved song file, but on returning from the main system menu, the save has disappeared.

I have a feeling the state save restoration is getting in the way of the save data being read correctly.

An interesting thing with LSDJ is that the total time and running time read as 255 for all values after restoring a state,

It feels like playing a game where the battery has died, maybe a timer thing?
Vacnatz

languages_spoken: english, arduino,
ODROIDs: ODROID GO

Re: Game Boy Color Saving Issues

Unread postby Ricket » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:27 am

I came here to say the same thing. A couple days ago I played Mario Tennis on GBC, finished a tennis match and properly save/quit to main menu. Then hit the menu button, which saves the state. Yesterday I updated the firmware to the 20180708. Today when I went back into Mario Tennis, I was in the main menu but when I went into game, I was back prior to having played the match.
Ricket

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: ODROID-X

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:28 am

See also:
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=31475#p228094
and
viewtopic.php?f=159&t=31492&p=228176#p228176

1) A game is only saved when the "Menu" button is pressed despite what any in-game operation claims.
2) Erasing the flash when upgrading firmware will erase the current state of the last loaded ROM. To avoid this, load any other ROM before erasing the flash.
crashoverride

ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:37 am

Vacnatz wrote:LSDJ creates a saved song file, but on returning from the main system menu, the save has disappeared.

When the Menu button is pressed, the emulator selection should appear. Pressing "B" should return to the exact place the ROM previously was. If this is not happening, there may be a mapper issue for the particular ROM in use. The ROM will need to be identified and obtained to test.

[WARNING: Data will be deleted]
For CGB ROM with large SRAM, I would recommend:
1) Load any other ROM.
2) Turn the ODROID-GO off and remove the SD card.
3) Insert the SD card in a PC and delete the "/odroid/data/{name of your rom}.gbc.sav" file.
4) Put the SD card back in the ODROID-GO and turn it on.
5) Load the ROM.

This should place the ROM in a clean state.

Saving can be tested by using the ROM. Then pressing the "Menu" button. After the menu appears, press "B" to return to the ROM. It should be exactly where it was before.
crashoverride

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:20 pm

I downloaded the LSDJ demo from the official site. I placed it in the roms/gb folder of my SD card and started it up on the ODROID-GO.

After the title screen, an interface appears with a scrolling text at the top. I pressed Menu to save the game and return to the menu. I then pressed "B" to return to the game. It resumed (scroller) exactly at the point it left off. No obvious errors were seen.
crashoverride

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Vacnatz wrote:In many cases (Tetris DX, Cave Noire, GBW3, LSDJ), saving appears to work, but when the game makes a call to the save file, it doesnt seem to find the data.

Can someone else please test these games and report their findings? This would eliminate a corrupt ROM file as a possible cause.
crashoverride

Unread postby Vacnatz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:11 pm

I'll take your suggestion and see if it changes anything!
Vacnatz

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:55 pm

I have been able to confirm a SRAM issue in LSDJ demo. The cause is yet unknown.
crashoverride

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:54 pm

I have identified the issue and created a patch:
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/go-play/commit/d5013976da1f62b62c3a3b3b2beedac0317d624e

This patch will need more testing because it may affect existing save games. If a game becomes unstable with the patch, the game should be reset (off + Start + on) and re-saved. This could potentially cause loss of progress in a game.
crashoverride

Unread postby Vacnatz » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:44 am

Is there a release for this? Last time i tried compiling it myself i didn't have any luck

Crashoverride you're the best! Thanks for being so on top of this stuff we all appreciate it!
Vacnatz

Unread postby crashoverride » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 am

A release will be made when testing is complete. The issue appears to be isolated to titles with large SRAM.
crashoverride

Unread postby Vacnatz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:10 am

With the updated release all my saving issues seem to be fixed! I've done a bunch of switching between titles and power cycles and the save integrity seems great!
Vacnatz

Unread postby wintonson » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:38 am

I still have issues with this saving bug. I am on Ver: 20180810 and with the game Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 - Cobi's Journey (U) I ran into this problem.
wintonson

ODROIDs: ODROID-GO

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:23 am

I just tested with 20180810 and did not encounter any save issues.
crashoverride

Unread postby wintonson » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:57 am

Wait a minute. So my odroid-go firmware (hold "B" and power on) is Ver: 20180727 and my go-play firmware (in menu that shows consoles) is Ver: 20180810. Do I have something wrong? I played a hour of Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, saved in game, turned it off to go eat. Then I came back, turned it on, for some reason it loads the state when I last pressed menu and only contains the save data from that state. Do I have to press menu every time to keep my in-game save data instead of powering down or do I have something wrong?

ps. So cool you guys are so on top of things like this. :D
wintonson

Unread postby crashoverride » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:12 am

wintonson wrote:Ver: 20180727 and my go-play firmware

That is the device firmware which is current as of this post.

wintonson wrote:Ver: 20180810

That is the Go-Play application version (confusingly also called firmware).

wintonson wrote:Then I came back, turned it on, for some reason it loads the state when I last pressed menu and only contains the save data from that state. Do I have to press menu every time to keep my in-game save data instead of powering down or do I have something wrong?

Pressing "Menu" saves the game and returns to the menu. If you do not press "Menu", no progress is saved.
crashoverride

Unread postby wintonson » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 am

Oh! Okay, I guess I have no saving issues then. Just got to remember to press menu instead or powering down. Thanks!
wintonson

Return to Game Emulators