GBC Roms with large save files not working

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

GBC Roms with large save files not working

Unread postby Vacnatz » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:13 am

Hiya!

I've noticed that a bunch of games that make use of large save files on game boy like LSDJ and Game Boy Wars 3 seem to be an issue for the emulators, i have no experience with coding emulators, but i'd love to see these working someday! Great work on getting these emus running in the first place, I cant believe this is running on an ESP32!!
Vacnatz

languages_spoken: english, arduino,
ODROIDs: ODROID GO

Re: GBC Roms with large save files not working

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:18 am

I have identified the issue and am working on a fix. For now, large ROMs (4MB) or large SRAM (1MB) can be supported, but not both at the same time. This works for "Game Boy Wars 3". Is there are list of other titles using large SRAM so that I can test them?
crashoverride

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby Vacnatz » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Aaah i see is it the size/type of the save state? as in i can either have one game boy wars rom, or all the others?

you've probably answered this elsewhere apologies if i'm making you repeat yourself! I'll play around and see if i can track down any others, getting LSDJ running would be a huge win it's got a tricky saving mechanism but with a quick headphone port hack the odroid go could be a great option for chiptune musicians. Though this is also making me think of potential tracker-related arduino projects...
Vacnatz

Unread postby crashoverride » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:40 pm

The issue is that there is not enough RAM on the ESP32 to hold 128K SRAM. Further complicating things is that the recent PSRAM changes use that space for cartridge ROM. There is 4MB of PSRAM. A large (4MB) cartridge will use it all. For 2MB and smaller cartridges, there is free PSRAM to also place the 128K SRAM.
https://github.com/OtherCrashOverride/go-play/commit/dcb4476b07f9634c93f792acde1072ead6966ac1

I don't have the LSDJ cart. So, I can't test it. The website indicates its a small (1MB) ROM so the above patch may work for it.
crashoverride

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Unread postby Vacnatz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:08 am

I tried compiling the update, but no dice, i suspect i'm not set up correctly
Vacnatz

Unread postby Vacnatz » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:30 am

Ok! I'm running the early release next gen firmware and i can run both game boy wars 3 and lsdj! Thanks for the hard work crashoverrride! It's greatly appreciated!

Now i have to figure out where to solder up/mount a headphone jack...
Vacnatz

Return to Game Emulators