How much does the XU4 draw?

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

How much does the XU4 draw?

Unread postby ledzeppeman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Hey guys, I'm absolutely brand new, first post here. How's everyone doing :)

When the XU4 is shut down, but still plugged in, how much power does it draw? Does anyone know? I've googled hard, and I'm not finding any answers. I don't actually have my XU4 yet by the way, so I can't test it.

The reason that I ask: I'm putting an XU4 in my car for various reasons. I was thinking that using a raspberry pi zero to operate a relay, allowing the XU4 to disconnect from power when the car is off so my battery doesn't die, would be a good idea. My "big picture" is kind of complicated (for me at least) and would take a while to explain, so let's not do that. All I'm wondering is,

Does the RPi0 draw less than the XU4 when both are shut down, but plugged in?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. I've looked quite a bit.
ledzeppeman

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4

Re: How much does the XU4 draw?

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:51 pm

I don't know the answer to that question, but maybe @odroid can measure one with the smart power, if its sensitivity is small enough.
But most people are connecting their odroids to a power rail which turns off when you remove the key from the ignition. The problem with any always on consumer is that leaving the car unstarted for a few months can drain the battery.
The usb ports might remain powered... Will you be using them?
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Re: How much does the XU4 draw?

Unread postby odroid » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:00 pm

If XU4 OS is shutdown properly, the power consumption is near zero (less than 1mA).
Power consumption in shutdown mode is much lower than RPi series. As far as I searched, RPi consumes around 30~60mA in shutdown state.
So you don't need to add an extra relay control board to the XU4.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Return to General Chat