Android locking onto one app.

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Android locking onto one app.

Unread postby Skylineodroid » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi.
Can anyone help with an issue I have.
I am using a C2 running marshmallow as a GPS and audio system in my car.

I am using GPIO for app launch using buttons on my dashboard. I am using an app to access the GPIO as I had trouble programming Android to enable the GPIO (i could use some advice on that too).
I am using Bluetooth to my car stereo to output the sound and GPS voice commands.

Anyway, when I run google maps and spotify together the C2 will lock onto one of the two apps and no matter what button I press or icon I click it keeps jumping back to the same app. I have to reboot to correct this.
The odroid seems to be quite slow at switching between apps.
I am wondering if I need an eMMc card instead of SD card and if I am just asking too much of the ordoid C2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Skylineodroid

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid c2

Re: Android locking onto one app.

Unread postby odroid » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:30 pm

eMMC must be much faster.
Which type of SD card do you use? Is it Class 10 with UHS-1 capability?

But, you need to check the logcat output to see what happens with those two apps first.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Skylineodroid » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:16 pm

I'm not very up on how to program interrogate the odroid beyond installing apps.
I'm even using an app that someone tweaked for me to access GPIO as I couldn't work out how to program GPIO natively using UART USB connection. The Wiki is extremely confusing.
I'm convinced that SD card is partly to blame and perhaps spotify app has a bug too. When I use maps alone I have no problems.
I really need to get emmc and work out how to assign app launching to the GPIO in the code. I could use some help on that, preferably step by step.
I did have ubuntu installed and tried following the wiki but its just too difficult for someone with no Linux and android experience.
Skylineodroid

Unread postby benwillcox » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi,
I use the Odroid C2 in a car running TomTom GPS and Spotify. It works fine, but I use an eMMC card, perhaps your SD card is too slow? You can see a video demonstration of my system here to get an idea of the speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pqhpaa8E2w

I can't help with your GPIO issue - my system uses an Arduino Leonardo already, so I use that to launch apps by emulating a Function key keypress via USB, which can then be assigned an app in Odroid Utility. Maybe this is an alternative option for you?

Ben
benwillcox

ODROIDs: C1+
C2

Unread postby idorel77 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi ,
i use also a micro pro board to send the F7 - F10 keys to launch apps. To the same board i added a rotary encoder for volume control.
Here is how i build it. https://youtu.be/Oejz4rS-nzQ
I also recommend you to use emmc.
idorel77

ODROIDs: C2

Unread postby Skylineodroid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:58 am

Thanks guys.
Its good to know you have had success. Ive invested a lot of money in this idea so i'd like to see it work properly.
Its working fine if I just use Google maps so I will get am emmc and try it out.
Skylineodroid

Return to Android