Help needed with MAME please

Moderators: odroid, meveric, mdrjr

Help needed with MAME please

Unread postby atarioldskool » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi

I did a lot of reading on MAME last night sites like github, retropie etc

I understand that roms have to match what emulator you are using

Based on the information I read last night I decided I will be using mame2003 as this is the most popular and has far more roms that actually work with it compared to others.
The website says I need to be using roms the end in 0.78
I can’t bloody find any roms with this number,
The popular roms site all the roms start with 0.19? 3 numbers at the end

What am I suppose to do it says I need to be using roms .078 but can’t bloody find any!
atarioldskool

languages_spoken: english

Re: Help needed with MAME please

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:49 am

You most likely won't find many sites that offer 0.78 ROMS, mame2003 is mostly used, as it's the only one the original RPi was capable to play as the others were "too heavy" for the weak RPi.
As the name mame2003 suggest, this is a romset from 2003 also being used on PCs that came out in 2000~2003 means really old PCs.
That's why it's working good with RPis.

Still as RPis are rather common it shouldn't be hard to find these "romsets" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw330wZZ6dg
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby atarioldskool » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:16 am

meveric wrote:You most likely won't find many sites that offer 0.78 ROMS, mame2003 is mostly used, as it's the only one the original RPi was capable to play as the others were "too heavy" for the weak RPi.
As the name mame2003 suggest, this is a romset from 2003 also being used on PCs that came out in 2000~2003 means really old PCs.
That's why it's working good with RPis.

Still as RPis are rather common it shouldn't be hard to find these "romsets" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw330wZZ6dg

Hey mevric

I have the xu4 so what emulator would you recommend to use ? And what roms number would you suggest to look for ?
I don’t have rpi
atarioldskool

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:46 am

shouldn't really matter what version of romset you get, as long as the mame core you use can play it doesn't matter what romset it is.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go

Unread postby atarioldskool » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:48 pm

meveric wrote:shouldn't really matter what version of romset you get, as long as the mame core you use can play it doesn't matter what romset it is.

Really ??

Why is the discussion about MAME all about making sure you have the correct roms numbers to the relevant emulators ?
I am just trying to understand,
As every MAME post you read first thing they mention is you need to get the correct roms numbers which is relevant to the emulator you use.

As for understanding the rom numbers - am I correct in thinking the higher thee number the more advanced and error free they are?

Example let’s just say start with 0.78 roms and as the numbers go up let’s just say 0.198
The more advance the rom is I.e better graphics , less errors / glitches , better sound , better game play ??
Am I correct ?

Also in return the higher the rom number means you need a more powerful single board computer / computer to be able to run it properly ???
atarioldskool

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Most newer cores can run older romsets, but not the other way around.
Newer cores have not better graphics or such.
The number of supported systems and games is higher in newer cores and the way certain hardware is emulated differs, but the games are always the same, they are not suddenly "better" (only closer to the original systems).
meveric

Unread postby francisscott » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:12 am

Internet Archive is a very good and legal resource : https://archive.org/search.php?query=mame%20set
francisscott

Unread postby atarioldskool » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:00 am

meveric wrote:Most newer cores can run older romsets, but not the other way around.
Newer cores have not better graphics or such.
The number of supported systems and games is higher in newer cores and the way certain hardware is emulated differs, but the games are always the same, they are not suddenly "better" (only closer to the original systems).

Thanks for that mevric but what do you actually mean by “only closer to the original systems”
In what way ?
atarioldskool

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:16 pm

MAME tries to replicate the original hardware as close as possible in software, so that games and systems act like they did in arcade machines. Same sound, same music, same graphics (probably even same bugs).
They do not try "improve" by adding better graphics or better music or whatever.
meveric

Unread postby atarioldskool » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:42 pm

meveric wrote:MAME tries to replicate the original hardware as close as possible in software, so that games and systems act like they did in arcade machines. Same sound, same music, same graphics (probably even same bugs).
They do not try "improve" by adding better graphics or better music or whatever.

Thanks mevric
I understand now
atarioldskool

Unread postby atarioldskool » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:41 am

@ mevric

I have taken your advise on it’s does not really matter what rom number I download as long as it works with the emulators I have got on my build.

So far so good as to all the roms have been working regardless what number they are BUT I would like to know how do you determine which emulator is best for that rom/game ?

I have only downloaded a few roms so far and everyone one of them so far has worked in more than 1 emulator
I am storing all my roms in arcade folder as I like it to be simple and clutter free
Arcade covers all

So I have tried mame2014, ls-mame (think that’s what it’s called) adv-mame.89 (I think it’s called )
And also the other emulator the name starts with the letter F

I have found all the games/roms working on mame 2014, ls-mame uses the analogue stick on the controller where as the emulator that starts with the letter F uses the d pad

How do you determine what is best for each particular rom ?
atarioldskool

Unread postby meveric » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:45 am

trail and error.. MAME is very complicated and you have to experiment a lot which works best.

FBA (FinalBurnAlpha) is in a much better state and runs CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, NeoGeo perfectly. It also plays a lot of other arcade system games. And everything it "can" play should run flawlessly as it's concentrating on 2D games mostly they should work perfectly fine.

The rest of them is really try to find what is working the fastest for you.
meveric

Unread postby atarioldskool » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:49 pm

meveric wrote:trail and error.. MAME is very complicated and you have to experiment a lot which works best.

FBA (FinalBurnAlpha) is in a much better state and runs CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, NeoGeo perfectly. It also plays a lot of other arcade system games. And everything it "can" play should run flawlessly as it's concentrating on 2D games mostly they should work perfectly fine.

The rest of them is really try to find what is working the fastest for you.

Ow ok,

Well I found certain games don’t run well on FBA example galaga when the spaceship blows up there’s no blowing up sound where as on mame it make the sound effect.

Although I personally double dragon running too quick on all the mame and then slows down a lot when their is a lot of stuff happening on the screen I have tried several roms and all do the same
It also does it on FBA
atarioldskool

Return to Games and Emulators