Google Cardboard / RiftCat / VRidge on Odroid C serries

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Google Cardboard / RiftCat / VRidge on Odroid C serries

Unread postby Rushlight » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Has anybody used these program on an Odroid C 2/1/0 running android?

If you're not familiar; RifCcat / Vridge is a program duo that emulates a Vive Headset on PC then streams the data via WiFi or USB to an android phone to be used in google cardboard as a headset.

Google Cardboard is the Android VR HMD back end support program that helps calibrate everything.

I currently own a C-0, but if this works may invest in a C2 for 2k display support.

my idea here is to run the board on Android with a gyroscope on the GPIO, then attach a 6-7 inch display and fit it in a phone VR headset.

This is of course assuming that these device can even handle having 60fps 1080p-2k video streamed at them.

This is an idea i just had and would really like some feedback to see if its at all viable.

I am aware of the costs of full HD hdmi miniature displays; i have ways of getting them for cheaper. I just want to know if this can work.

if anybody owns a C-1/C2 on android could you try this for me and see if it works? (my C-0 is on ubuntu right now and i'd rather not ref-flash it if this wont work)

https://riftcat.com/vridge <=== Program website for reference and download if anybody is interested in trying it.
:3
Rushlight

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: C-0(1)
C-0(2)
16GB-EMMC

RPI3B

Re: Google Cardboard / RiftCat / VRidge on Odroid C serries

Unread postby odroid » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:50 pm

I don't think the GPU performance in C1/C2/C0 can handle stereo 2K VR headset rendering in real time.
How was the performance on C0?
odroid
Site Admin

ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: Google Cardboard / RiftCat / VRidge on Odroid C serries

Unread postby Rushlight » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:21 am

the C0 surpassed my expectations wonderfully. I currently have one running ubuntu 14 strapped to the top of my Asus S1 portable projector to use as a presentation device for movies and some SNES games. I took a USB wifi receiver chip out of its case and soldered it to the motherboard, then did the same with a slim usb hub, ran usb power from the projector (that has a built in battery bank) to the power socket, and conected HDMI. also using the C1+ heatsink.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Projectors/S1/

to clarify if this DOES work it would be on the C2 for 2k display support (i'd shell out and purchase one.) to my knowledge the mobile device doesnt have to do that much actual rendering. its just streamed the two already rendered images from the PC over either USB, or wifi (on in this case ethernet).

If anybody has a C1/C2 running android with access to a 1080p or greater display, could you please try running RiftCat to see if it works?
a PC with steam and a VR ready GPU are prerequisites. I have no way of knowing my self and I cant afford to spend 200$ and find out it wont work at all.
:3
Rushlight

ODROIDs: C-0(1)
C-0(2)
16GB-EMMC

RPI3B

Return to Android