Gentoo on XU4

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Gentoo on XU4

Unread postby Ronaldleess » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:36 am

I don't see any link to the info for building Gentoo for the XU4 here, so I'll drop one in this thread:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xu4

I think the Gentoo build is the cleanest of any distro I've tried thus far on the XU4, and the snappiest (when set up minimally with X and i3).
I am The Umbrella Man
Ronaldleess

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4 C1 C1+

Re: Gentoo on XU4

Unread postby rooted » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks for the information and link.

I was once big on Gentoo and even contributed several ebuilds back long ago (AutoBot on the forum). I have wanted to give it a go on one of my XU4 but haven't found the time or really the need.

*edit*
Just looked, it was 16 years ago since I joined the gentoo forum. It's been 9 years since my last post. Time certainly flies..
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Ronaldleess » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 pm

They're a slim ghost of what they were back when you were on their forums. Not sure why that has happened. I use Linux only when there's no port of a BSD for a board. When I'm forced to use a Linux, it's usually Gentoo nowadays. They had a way to build it with a FreeBSD kernel, but that code's been left to bitrot. So, there was naturally a tie-in. Also, portage shares some similarities with the BSD port systems (actually, I like it a lot better than FreeBSD ports).
I am The Umbrella Man
Ronaldleess

ODROIDs: XU4 C1 C1+

Unread postby rooted » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:57 am

Daniel Robbins left the project and started Funtoo is what I guess happened.

I think Gentoo simply got too big and complex as a project and thus sapped the fun out of it. All projects go through growing pains, I left Debian for Gentoo for this very reason.

Now I'm back to Debian and sometimes Mint, I still like Gentoo and portage is the major reason why.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby fvolk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:49 am

I'd like to take Gentoo for a test-drive on the XU4.

I'm currently running a headless minimalistic Gentoo server for more than a year now on x86. Just a minimal image and all the serving stuff is then in Docker containers. To my own surprise this install works problem-free. From time to time update some base packages, every half a year update the kernel if I feel like it. Not more work than other distributions. Why Gentoo? Systemd-free system, I spent too much of my time debugging oddities with systemd upgrades.

I'd consider a Gentoo on XU4, too, but I guess syncing with Ubuntu upstream updates/packages is quite some work to keep a Gentoo on ARM up to date?
fvolk

ODROIDs: C2, HC1

Return to Other OS