Gentoo on XU4

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Gentoo on XU4

Unread postby Ronaldleess » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:36 am

I don't see any link to the info for building Gentoo for the XU4 here, so I'll drop one in this thread:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xu4

I think the Gentoo build is the cleanest of any distro I've tried thus far on the XU4, and the snappiest (when set up minimally with X and i3).
I am The Umbrella Man
Ronaldleess

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4 C1 C1+

Re: Gentoo on XU4

Unread postby rooted » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks for the information and link.

I was once big on Gentoo and even contributed several ebuilds back long ago (AutoBot on the forum). I have wanted to give it a go on one of my XU4 but haven't found the time or really the need.

*edit*
Just looked, it was 16 years ago since I joined the gentoo forum. It's been 9 years since my last post. Time certainly flies..
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Ronaldleess » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 pm

They're a slim ghost of what they were back when you were on their forums. Not sure why that has happened. I use Linux only when there's no port of a BSD for a board. When I'm forced to use a Linux, it's usually Gentoo nowadays. They had a way to build it with a FreeBSD kernel, but that code's been left to bitrot. So, there was naturally a tie-in. Also, portage shares some similarities with the BSD port systems (actually, I like it a lot better than FreeBSD ports).
I am The Umbrella Man
Ronaldleess

ODROIDs: XU4 C1 C1+

Unread postby rooted » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:57 am

Daniel Robbins left the project and started Funtoo is what I guess happened.

I think Gentoo simply got too big and complex as a project and thus sapped the fun out of it. All projects go through growing pains, I left Debian for Gentoo for this very reason.

Now I'm back to Debian and sometimes Mint, I still like Gentoo and portage is the major reason why.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby fvolk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:49 am

I'd like to take Gentoo for a test-drive on the XU4.

I'm currently running a headless minimalistic Gentoo server for more than a year now on x86. Just a minimal image and all the serving stuff is then in Docker containers. To my own surprise this install works problem-free. From time to time update some base packages, every half a year update the kernel if I feel like it. Not more work than other distributions. Why Gentoo? Systemd-free system, I spent too much of my time debugging oddities with systemd upgrades.

I'd consider a Gentoo on XU4, too, but I guess syncing with Ubuntu upstream updates/packages is quite some work to keep a Gentoo on ARM up to date?
fvolk

ODROIDs: C2, HC1

Unread postby anichang » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Well, it looks like there are some people looking at gentoo on xu4, why don't we ... stick togheter and push a bit of love into Gentoo armv7a_hardfp port?

I'm currently looking at crossdev and distcc for it.

Edit: I followed more or less the crossbuild wiki page and updated the old stage3 on the xu4 wiki page. Anyone knows how to properly repack the root folder in /usr/armv7a-... ? In the old stage3 there are obsolete portage, glibc, and gcc: the stage3 should be updated!
anichang

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby kosmonaut pirx » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:16 am

there's also this very old related one
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Odroid_xu3-lite_Quick_Install_Guide
most steps apply to xu4 too. kindof same proceeding, anyways

running headless gentoo server at the xu4 works since quiet a while. some years or so. headless only, not thaat hard.
since a month (or some more, don't know) mainstream kernel can be used as well. first time, there will be bugs. however, beside of x11, system maintenance proceeding is finally same as on the desk.
kosmonaut pirx

ODROIDs: U2, XU3-Lite, XU4

Return to Other OS