Green LED blinking, blue LED off

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Green LED blinking, blue LED off

Unread postby Un4Seen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:56 am

Hi!

I have a cluster of 8 ODROID HC1 units, each running off a 32GB SD card (identical Ubuntu image) and with a 1TB HDD attached.
I've noticed that one of the units does not have the blue LED blinking since a few days ago and it's of course unreachable via SSH. If I unplug the unit and plug it back in, the blue LED won't start blinking (meaning I guess that it can't boot) but the green LED (HDD LED) is blinking infinitely. I have not touched the units physically or software-wise at all for several weeks now. Did the HDD die? What does the blinking green LED mean?

Thanks!
Un4Seen

languages_spoken: english, hungarian, romanian

Re: Green LED blinking, blue LED off

Unread postby mad_ady » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:18 am

Try booting it with a known working sd card. Most likely some filesystem corruption prevents booting. You should fsck that sd card.
mad_ady

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2

Unread postby Un4Seen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:29 am

In the last 2 days since I've created this topic, another two of my ODROID HC1 units started behaving the same way: green LED blinking, blue LED off (blue LED off means it can't load the kernel, I think). Again, I have not touched hardware or software at all. So now 3 out of my 8 ODROID HC1 units are dead.

I removed the hard disk from all of them, did not help.
I swapped the SD cards between working and non-working units, nothing changed.
Finally I tried swapping the power supplies and ta-da!!! The ones not working started working, the ones working started not working. So it's the fault of the power supplies. 3 power supplies died in just 2 days time after working well for about 3 months. All of them official ODROID power supplies with 4A output.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this and the only thing that I can think of is the heat. The power supplies are all in a compartment of my desk which is open on the front and back but closed on left/right/bottom/top sides. So the air can move but there isn't any fan in there to force air flow. The power supplies have always been a bit hot, but I never thought much of it. Maybe now that summer came and the room temperature went up from 22 degrees to 26 degrees for several days, the power supplies overheated and started failing? Or maybe the electrical grid gave them some tiny shocks because we have thunderstorms every day these days?
Un4Seen

Unread postby odroid » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:11 am

We've shipped over 4~5K of 5V/4A PSU every month since we announced XU3/XU4 in 2014.
But there was no such serious failure rate yet.
I guess the lightning/thunderbolt could damage your PSU or HC1 probably.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby rooted » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:24 am

I had a Hardkernel power supply go bad as well, it happens but not so often. It is unusual you had multiple fail like that.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Un4Seen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:31 pm

The strange thing is I have "a million" power supplies for all kinds of electronic equipment in the house and only these went bad. Maybe they are a bit weakly built.
Un4Seen

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:33 am

Un4Seen wrote:The strange thing is I have "a million" power supplies for all kinds of electronic equipment in the house and only these went bad. Maybe they are a bit weakly built.
4A is quite a load, I have a lot of supplies as well but most are below this rating.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Un4Seen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:40 am

Well, the official ODROID XU4/HC1 requirement for the power supply is 4A...

Btw, the 3 power supplies which are broken produce audible pulses. I guess the switching mechanism broke inside them. Does this suggest anything? Did the heat break them? Or maybe some electrical overload? Or just time?

I'm thinking about replacing all of those PSUs with one like this:
https://www.emag.ro/sursa-de-alimentare-limaled-5v-72a-360w-metal-1399/pd/DQY5N2BBM/?X-Search-Id=0d2c6fb5cb3d303466d5&X-Product-Id=15594674&X-Search-Page=2&X-Search-Position=3&X-Search-Action=view
LEDPSU.jpg
LEDPSU.jpg (16.01 KiB) Viewed 32 times

I'm just not sure if the voltage output of this large PSU is stable enough. Originally it was meant for LEDs...
Un4Seen

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:51 am

Un4Seen wrote:Well, the official ODROID XU4/HC1 requirement for the power supply is 4A...

Btw, the 3 power supplies which are broken produce audible pulses. I guess the switching mechanism broke inside them. Does this suggest anything? Did the heat break them? Or maybe some electrical overload? Or just time?

I'm thinking about replacing all of those PSUs with one like this:
https://www.emag.ro/sursa-de-alimentare-limaled-5v-72a-360w-metal-1399/pd/DQY5N2BBM/?X-Search-Id=0d2c6fb5cb3d303466d5&X-Product-Id=15594674&X-Search-Page=2&X-Search-Position=3&X-Search-Action=view
LEDPSU.jpg

I'm just not sure if the voltage output of this large PSU is stable enough. Originally it was meant for LEDs...
Hardkernel uses this type of supply on their large cluster.

I'm saying 4A is a heavy load, therefore the power supplies are more likely to fail when pushed to the limit. A 6A supply would be less likely to fail when at 4A.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Un4Seen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:03 am

Thanks, rooted! I understand now what you meant. Yepp, I'm going to buy a 5V 50A power supply for 8 ODROIDs, meaning that the max drawn current should never exceed 32A, so I should be fine.
Un4Seen

Return to Hardware and peripherals