ODROID MC1 Will Not Boot - Point of Interest

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

ODROID MC1 Will Not Boot - Point of Interest

Unread postby additude » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:12 am

I run 4 MC1 clusters and 5 XU4's, some with Ubuntu running DOCKER, one with Armbian/DOCKER and four XU4's with Android. Right now they are crunching data for BOINC SETI and I have had my share of stability issues; even with the use of a 75A - 5V Power supply.
But that's not why I am posting. I had something that I felt was very unique happen when one of my MC1 Modules crashed. Usually I pull the power, count to 5 and plug it back in and for the most part, whichever MC1 Module, it reboots. But today I had one that would not reboot.
It would just give me two heartbeats, then go silent for like 10-15 seconds, then two heartbeats...and cycle that.
I pulled the SD card out and I replaced it with one of the other MC1 Modules SD card and the module acted the same way. Two heart beats and silence...then two heartbeats and silence. I put the SD card from the failing MC1 Module in another MC1 Module and it booted just fine.
It's not the SD Card or the OS which was Ubuntu 16.04 with DOCKER.
I returned everything back to original and tried rebooting several times with the same failure each time.
For no apparent reason I thought to try booting the MC1 Module without an SD Card. As expected, there was no heartbeat what-so-ever... I gave it approximately 20 seconds or so then pulled the power. Plugged the SD Card in and applied power.
It booted just fine, just like normal and it's been working ever since.
So I don't know exactly what was what or why booting without an SD Card would resolve a boot problem, but it did and I wanted to mention it in case someone else has a like experience.
additude

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: 5-XU4's
4-MC1's

Re: ODROID MC1 Will Not Boot - Point of Interest

Unread postby odroid » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:06 am

It is very weird why the unit needs around 20 seconds of discharging time. :?:

Can you please try this latest Ubuntu minimal image with Kernel 4.14.43 with the problematic MC1 unit.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_images/linux/ubuntu_4.14/20180531
Some portion of the PMIC driver was improved and it might solve your issue since Armbian still has 4.9 Kernel as far as I know.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Re: ODROID MC1 Will Not Boot - Point of Interest

Unread postby additude » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:44 pm

Hi,
Well I don't know exactly what discharge time it takes, I just said that is how long I gave it to insure it was flat-lined.

Interesting thing is that I repeated it on a different MC1 Module for the similar boot issue and it also worked.

Then yesterday I discovered that the ATX power supply I am using was loaded down to 4.77 volts so I added an additional 20 amps power to bring voltage up to 5.11 v and now I'll let that setup cook and simmer for awhile and keep an eye on it.

I'll try 4.14.43 later.

Thanks.
additude

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: 5-XU4's
4-MC1's

Return to General Chat