OMV 3.x with not be maintained anymore

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

OMV 3.x with not be maintained anymore

Unread postby Valsi » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:58 pm

Hello,

have seen that OMV 3.x will not be maintained anymore. Will there any image available for OMV 4.x soon or an update?

thx

Rudi
Valsi

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Hc-1

Re: OMV 3.x with not be maintained anymore

Unread postby rooted » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:32 pm

You would need to ask this over on their forum.
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Valsi » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:46 pm

I was asking because in the wiki there is an image for our products available but only 3.x So I assumed that this will be provided by Hardkernel
Valsi

Unread postby odroid » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:50 pm

I believe you can install OMV 4.x armhf package on this Debian Stretch image.
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=30552

But it is worth to wait for OMV maintainers' official answer.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Obihoernchen » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:53 am

Official OMV images are based on Armbian.
There are OMV v4 images available: https://sourceforge.net/projects/openme ... Computers/

You can also upgrade your existing OMV installation with omv-release-upgrade. Worked like a charm for me.

Also see: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index. ... -a-how-to/
Last edited by Obihoernchen on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit My Blog (Odroid guides)
Follow me on Twitter
Obihoernchen

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + CloudShell 2

Unread postby odroid » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:03 am

I didn't know OMV 4 was already released last week. :o
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby rooted » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 am

Obihoernchen wrote:Official OMV images are based on Armbian.
There are OMV v4 images available: https://sourceforge.net/projects/openme ... Computers/

You can also upgrade your existing OMV installation with omv-release-upgrade. Worked like a charm for me.

Also see: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index. ... -a-how-to/
The XU4,HC1/2 image is not great. The apt sources list is messed up, has a bunch of duplicates. This is just one of the main issues, there are others.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Valsi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:09 pm

rooted wrote:The XU4,HC1/2 image is not great. The apt sources list is messed up, has a bunch of duplicates. This is just one of the main issues, there are others.

Good morning,

so your recommendation is to wait until havening the issues fixed?
Valsi

Unread postby rooted » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:35 pm

My recommendation is unimportant, I was just putting the information out there.

Use what you like ;)

The kernel is still 4.9 (due to issues as I'm told). I really just don't like Armbian, they make invasive changes to the way Debian works. All just personal opinion.

Don't confuse OMV with Armbian (OMV is nice), it's just that the OMV image runs on Armbian. AFAIK you can install OMV into any Debian based distribution.
Valsi wrote:
rooted wrote:The XU4,HC1/2 image is not great. The apt sources list is messed up, has a bunch of duplicates. This is just one of the main issues, there are others.

Good morning,

so your recommendation is to wait until havening the issues fixed?
Last edited by rooted on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby Obihoernchen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:30 pm

Yes armbian is probably not the cleanest distro ;) I noticed this as well.
Also the kernel upgrade mess from 4.9 to 4.14... reverting everything back and forth.

FYI: You can switch to nightly with armbian-config to get 4.14 kernel. I didn't encounter any issues with 4.14 so far.

Basically armbian is just the kernel, a graphical config utility (armbian-config) and a package with some tuning stuff (CPU binning, IRQ tuning, network tuning etc.)
The following packages are installed on top of stock debian on my system:
Code: Select all
i   armbian-config                                 - Armbian configuration utility
i   armbian-firmware-full                          - Linux firmware-full
i   armbian-tools-stretch                          - Armbian tools, Cubie bt utils
i   linux-dtb-dev-odroidxu4                        - Linux DTB, version 4.14.48-odroidxu4
i   linux-headers-dev-odroidxu4                    - Linux kernel headers for 4.14.48-odroidxu4 on armhf
i   linux-image-dev-odroidxu4                      - Linux kernel, version 4.14.48-odroidxu4
i   linux-stretch-root-dev-odroidxu4               - Armbian tweaks for stretch on odroidxu4 (dev branch)
i   linux-u-boot-odroidxu4-dev                     - Uboot loader 2017.05
i   sunxi-tools                                    - tools for working with Allwinner (sunxi) ARM processors
Follow me on Twitter
Obihoernchen

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: XU4, XU4Q + CloudShell 2

Unread postby rooted » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:29 am

Don't forget about the convoluted way /boot works, this is the least favorite aspect to me.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby igorpec » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Basically armbian is just the kernel, a graphical config utility (armbian-config) and a package

Armbian is an extensive build script first: https://github.com/armbian/build (where you can check how it is actually made), then it's a community https://forum.armbian.com/ and ... we also provide Debian/Ubuntu prebuild images with free technical support on userspace level and below.

Obihoernchen wrote:Yes armbian is probably not the cleanest distro ;) I noticed this as well.

Really? What is dirty? Can you be more precise? The only package - from this quick shallow overview - that doesn't belong in is tiny sunxi-tools package ... that will be fixed asap. What else?

rooted wrote: I really just don't like Armbian, they make invasive changes to the way Debian works. All just personal opinion.

You have all rights to hate our work, but even this is might be your personal aspect, I would expect that you will explain what is so problematic and bad? If it has real grounds, it will be gladly fixed, changed and cleaned up.

For start, name a change, which you call invasive and it's pointless. Have you mixed Armbian for something else :?: :D
ARMBIAN - follow on Twitter
linux for ARM development boards with user friendly development tools
igorpec

languages_spoken: english,german,slovene
ODROIDs: XU4, HC1, C2, C1+

Unread postby rooted » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:07 am

igorpec wrote:You have all rights to hate our work, but even this is might be your personal aspect, I would expect that you will explain what is so problematic and bad? If it has real grounds, it will be gladly fixed, changed and cleaned up.

For start, name a change, which you call invasive and it's pointless. Have you mixed Armbian for something else :?: :D

The way you do /boot on the XU4, why is it so complex? It's unnecessary, see the way it is done on all other OS but you choose more complexity.

Instead of simply using three sources.list.d files you use six, why? This isn't necessary and is why on the latest XU4 image you have duplicates.

I don't hate your work, I just don't agree with some of your choices. I have had Armbian on my cloudshell 2 break twice from simple apt updates in the past, complex installs which cost me a lot of time. This could be prevented if you had a testing branch which actually gets tested before moving things to stable.

Please don't take it personally, I know you put a lot of time and effort in for no reward. I have been using and contributing to Linux for a long time also and I know it feels like a personal attack when you see such comments. It's why I said my recommendation is unimportant to use what you like.

I think you do a great job at trying to support many devices and include fixes to the many hardware issues that exist over many different SoC.

This is from a simple 'apt update' on the latest XU4 Armbian build.

https://pastebin.com/9u5SLrSZ
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby igorpec » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:03 am

Are you serious? OMV is 3rd party application on top of Armbian. Is image perhaps signed with my PGP key? If not, we have nothing to discuss and this bogus comparison, which came from an expert which should know all this, hurts. But I am used and don't want to pollute this topic further. Don't worry :)

he way you do /boot on the XU4, why is it so complex?

The unified boot process, which bring a few complications, is needed if we want to

support many devices

But again I have no idea what exactly you are referring to. Is stock simpler?

Have a nice weekend!
igorpec

Unread postby rooted » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:05 am

igorpec wrote:

Are you serious? OMV is 3rd party application on top of Armbian. Is image perhaps signed with my PGP key? If not, we have nothing to discuss and this bogus comparison, which came from an expert which should know all this, hurts. But I am used and don't want to pollute this topic further. Don't worry :)

Have a nice weekend!

Excuse me, it is an OMV image running Armbian. The image is from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openme ... Computers/

File:

OMV_4_Odroid_XU4_HC1_HC2.img.xz

So I guess one of my issues (sources.list.d) is with OMV, the rest stand.

I didn't say I'm an expert, I have been using and contributing to Linux for about 18 to 20 years so I know a bit.

You have a nice weekend, I'm sorry I offended you. I can see it looks like I'm bashing Armbian, I probably shouldn't have said anything. It was not my intention, just poor conveyance of my opinion.
rooted

XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby igorpec » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Excuse me, it is an OMV image running Armbian. The image is from here:

Nope. That is an OMV suite, a dedicated application image, which is extremely bulky since it comes with all sort of stuff, on top of Armbian which is therefore changed beyond recognition.

The only Armbian, which you have a right to complain about or compare with, can be downloaded here: https://www.armbian.com/download

Try it. I am sure your perspective will change for 180°:)
igorpec

Unread postby Obihoernchen » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:52 pm

igorpec wrote:Armbian is an extensive build script first: https://github.com/armbian/build (where you can check how it is actually made), then it's a community https://forum.armbian.com/ and ... we also provide Debian/Ubuntu prebuild images with free technical support on userspace level and below.

Yes of course! I was just referring to the average user who downloads OMV based on armbian. For him there a few packages on top of debian (which is great!). He probably does not need the build system.
Btw I used it myself it's nice :)

igorpec wrote:Really? What is dirty? Can you be more precise? The only package - from this quick shallow overview - that doesn't belong in is tiny sunxi-tools package ... that will be fixed asap. What else?

Not clean might be a little bit harsh I agree. It's mostly cosmetic stuff I noticed like sunxi-tools or that everytime I update the linux-stretch-root-dev-odroidxu4 package I get two new .dpkg-dist files, even so the md5 is exactly the same:
/etc/default/armbian-motd.dpkg-dist
/etc/default/log2ram.dpkg-dist

Just really minor unimportant things, but I noticed them ;)

I really like armbian don't get me wrong! In fact I'm using it on two devices. I even converted one of my XU4's running stock debian to armbian afterwards :D
The armhwinfo script is awesome! Now I don't have to do the whole tuning (irq, eth queue, governor, ...) on my own anymore. Really appreciate this ;)

The only thing I don't like (all the other stuff described above is not important at all for me) are the kernel packages.
3.10 is super old and lacks essential features, 4.9 is not officially supported anymore since Nov? 2017.
Nevertheless to get 4.14 you have to switch to nightly and install the dev kernel.
The naming is a little bit confusing as well imo. I would expect to get the officially supported 4.14 kernel with stable.
Btw I'm running nightly, dev 4.14 and it's running great for me.

nightly
linux-image-dev-odroidxu4 - Linux kernel, version 4.14.48-odroidxu4
linux-image-next-odroidxu4 - Linux kernel, version 4.9.103-odroidxu4
linux-image-odroidxu4 - Linux kernel, version 3.10.106-odroidxu4

stable
linux-image-dev-odroidxu4 - Linux kernel, version 4.9.71-odroidxu4
linux-image-next-odroidxu4 - Linux kernel, version 4.9.61-odroidxu4
linux-image-odroidxu4 - Linux kernel, version 3.10.106-odroidxu4
Follow me on Twitter