XU4 stuck on boot screen

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

XU4 stuck on boot screen

Unread postby mak625 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:29 pm

Our Team have rolled out a signage system on XU4 with Ubuntu Mate 16.04 OS with help of 32 GB eMMC.

5-6 out of 20 boards, stucks/hangs on boot screen as attached screen shot after first reboot and stays like this even after too many reboots. Only fewer boards are not working properly so I assume that it is a strange issue but I hope there can be any sanity with this issue if 5-6 XU4s are getting this issue.

Can any one look into this screenshot and let me know possible root cause?

Also, is it possible due to lack of RTC battery it stucks??....

Basically, I am also bit disappointed with forum's admin 'odroid' as they dont even reply of my private messages :(
Attachments
20180605 Boot Up Issue (2).jpg
Device stuck on this forever
20180605 Boot Up Issue (2).jpg (686.22 KiB) Viewed 95 times
mak625

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU4

Re: XU4 stuck on boot screen

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:29 pm

Please check the Kernel version first to know whether the system software was fully updated or not.
You had to update the system with the following steps in this link since very early version of 4.x Kernel had a stability issue in the booting process.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_images/linux/ubuntu_4.14/20171212#how_to_update_system_and_kernel_software_don_t_forget_dist-upgrade
The latest kernel version is 4.14.47.

I've not accessed my PM box since there are too many messages every day.
Because this forum is publicly opened, please feel free to post your questions on the forum.

Also check the power supply specification.
Do you use our official PSU?
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby mak625 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:41 pm

"Also check the power supply specification.
Do you use our official PSU?" ------------- No, we have to rely on 3rd party vendor who delivers us. :). Even from one vendor, we got dodgy PSUs !!

"Please check the Kernel version first to know whether the system software was fully updated or not.
You had to update the system with the following steps in this link since very early version of 4.x Kernel had a stability issue in the booting process.
https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_i ... st-upgrade
The latest kernel version is 4.14.47."-------------Same distribution OS works for other boards. without any update

" I've not accessed my PM box since there are too many messages every day. Because this forum is publicly opened, please feel free to post your questions on the forum." --------- I had to send private message because we want to have hands on with Odroid N1 as we think XU4 is not upto the mark on stable system. We still require lot (50-60) so better we assess some other boards too.
mak625

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:47 pm

You have to measure the voltage of 5V rail on 30pin header with a DMM to check the stability of PSU to narrow down root causes.
Still some users have had a hard time due to the power supply issue even though we've shipped over 10K boards every month.
In the kernel booting process, in-rush current could be over 3Amp even a very short period, poor PSU or DC cables could cause a short-term voltage drop.

What is the current kernel version?
Believe or not, older than 4.9.12 or 4.14.9 had a stability issue with some SoC silicon characteristics.

We have no firm plan to make N1 board yet.
You can find some discussion in N1 sub-forum.
viewforum.php?f=148
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby mak625 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Where Can I contact if I want to order 30-40 Odroid original bundle(board, PSU, eMMC, RTC battery, Case) to Australia? Because PSUs are changed anyway by vendors almost in every country?
mak625

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:52 pm

There are three different PSU types. Try to find one for your country AC plug.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/shop/goo ... hp?lang=en
odroid
Site Admin

Return to Issues