Project: Android Auto Secondary In Car Device

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Project: Android Auto Secondary In Car Device

Unread postby Baddabing » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:35 am

I only recently joined this forum as I've become interested in using the Odroid C2 to create a specific device and thought it might be easier and more helpful of me to outline the project I have in mind, perhaps others have already completed I, or would like to try in future.

I would like to build a device that runs Android Auto as both the client and server on the same device.

This will be a secondary in-car device, essentially upgrading my existing OE (Radio/CD/SatNav/TV) device by replacing its old, pixelated screen with a higher resolution touch-screen one. The screen I have has two inputs - VGA and HDMI - switchable between the two; VGA for the existing OE kit, and HDMI for the Odroid channel. The OE functionality will be retained using the cars radio/screen buttons while Android operates via touchscreen. Switching between the two will be through a redundant button on my windscreen wiper stalk.

The device would connect to my iPhone (I only use one phone and it’s a company issue Apple) for 4G connectivity.

On the Odroid Android device I’d like to run both client and server – I believe this is possible - to provide
• Spotify
• Waze
• OK Google
• SDR radio - the radio in my car feels at least 16 years old - and I'd like to be able to access FM/AM and DAB from one application
• [Maybe some] On Board Diagnostics (via a specific Bluetooth dongle that plugs in to my OBD2 port inside the car)

My car already has an OE Microphone, an OE amplifier/radio and a good OE speaker set up. In terms of hardware, beyond the C2 itself, what else do I need?

1. Bluetooth connectivity to tether my phone via USB
2. Microphone in via & audio out via USB sound card [as per Rooted's post - thank you]
3. GPS dongle via USB
4. SDR USB Dongle for Radio [the OE radio suffers from having an aerial in the rear screen]
5. Power supply - assume 12v 'clean'

I've already looked at Android devices designed especially for my car (E46 BMW) and don't like them, I want to keep the original equipment. And as my screen could do with replacing I've got a one-off opportunity to 'future'-proof'' my headset by adding a secondary screen running Android. I don't want an CarPC, but streaming music, navigation and radio upgrades are appealing, so, potentially, are 'Notifications' but with Apple as my phone h/w I imagine that gets harder.

In case you're wondering the OE output's are RGB, which I will convert using a Gonbes Game Converter to allow VGA in to the new screen, which is dual input and switchable to HDMI which will be the Android input. It's been done already - albeit with a slightly different set-up.

I'd welcome any comments and suggestions.
Baddabing

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: None thinking Odroid C2

Re: Project: Android Auto Secondary In Car Device

Unread postby InspecteurGadget » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi, How you run Android auto as client ans server on the dame device ?
On m'y car I use Android marsmallow with car launcher
InspecteurGadget

languages_spoken: French, English
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
USB GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi
Emmc 8g Android M
Rtc modue

Unread postby Baddabing » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:22 am

InspecteurGadget wrote:Hi, How you run Android auto as client ans server on the dame device ?
On m'y car I use Android marsmallow with car launcher

I read here http://www.michaeldornisch.com/diy-andr ... o-headunit that Android Auto 2.0 lets you run Client and Server on same device.

I haven't tested this yet though!
Baddabing

Unread postby InspecteurGadget » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:54 am

Client ans server are 2 différent device
InspecteurGadget

languages_spoken: French, English
ODROIDs: Odroid C2
USB GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi
Emmc 8g Android M
Rtc modue

Unread postby Baddabing » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:19 am

InspecteurGadget wrote:Client ans server are 2 différent device

Thank you, if you mean generally, then yes I understand that! If you meant Android Auto - there is a 'stand-alone' mode available I believe.
Baddabing

Unread postby benwillcox » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi, it sounds very much like my JagDroid project, which does something similar for Jaguar cars. I keep meaning to post a little about it in the Projects section on this site, but you can also read about it here: http://www.jagdroid.org and there's lots of information in the thread linked on the homepage.
I'm not quite sure of the benefit of Android Auto though, I just run the normal 6.0.1 Android build, with Car Launcher Pro as a frontend, it does everything one could possibly want (I think?).

Ben
benwillcox

ODROIDs: C1+
C2

Unread postby Baddabing » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Thank you Ben, that's very helpful.

I've looked at Car Launcher - thanks to IG above - and while aesthetically it's a little busy for my tastes I quite agree it looks like the way forward.
Baddabing

Unread postby mad_ady » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:45 am

@benwilcox: you should submit an article for odroid magazine as well.
mad_ady

ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1

Unread postby benwillcox » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:00 pm

@mad_ady good idea, I shall look at preparing an article to submit.

@Baddabing there is a built-in skin editor with Car Launcher Pro, so you can pick from a number of pre-defined skins (I like the 'leather' option) and then completely customise it to your liking, for example to remove, add, change any of the widgets and layout on the home screen to get a cleaner look if you want that. It is really rather good.

Ben
benwillcox

C2

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 am

@benwillcox,
It must be a very interesting article.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby Baddabing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:46 am

benwillcox wrote:
@Baddabing there is a built-in skin editor with Car Launcher Pro, so you can pick from a number of pre-defined skins (I like the 'leather' option) and then completely customise it to your liking, for example to remove, add, change any of the widgets and layout on the home screen to get a cleaner look if you want that. It is really rather good.

Ben

Thanks Ben - that is an excellent suggestion, I will download the Pro version.

Do you have DAB &/or FM/AM Radio through it?

Cheers BB
Baddabing

Unread postby benwillcox » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:44 pm

Not personally. But other users have added a DAB USB receiver and reported it works well. You could also add a DVB receiver for digital TV I would imagine.

Ben
benwillcox

C2

Return to Android