new to odroid with a cloudshell

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

new to odroid with a cloudshell

Unread postby korn16ftl3 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:12 am

hello forum, id like to begin this post by stating this is my first post as well as odroid product(s).
yesterday i received and assembled my odroid XU4 as well as my cloudshell 2 kit. the purpose of this projes is to have an all purpose storage server and seed box. i currently have one 6TB hdd and one 8TB hdd in the unit set in normal individual HDD mode (i think this is reffered to as PM mode?).

What i would really like to accomplish and my reason for posting as i havent really found an exact answer as of yet is to have the cloudshell 2 functional with a GUI (currently running OEM ubuntu mate not sure of the exact version at this time) that i can acess via team viewer as i have multiple computers i regularly access with team viewer. What i have found after assembling and starting the unit is that the hard drives mount as they should and are detected by the OS, also what i have found is the LCD screen and additional fan are not functional. im assuming i need to install a package or "driver" in order to get them to function?

im perfectly ok with how it is this far I would just like to see how i can get the additional fan and LCD screen working on my current operating system.
korn16ftl3

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: odroid XU4 and cloudshell

Re: new to odroid with a cloudshell

Unread postby odroid » Sat May 19, 2018 4:10 am

You have to install a couple of extra packages to activate the LCD and fan.
Please refer our WiKi pages.
https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/add-on_boards/xu4_cloudshell2/xu4_cloudshell2
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby warmcuddle » Sat May 19, 2018 9:07 pm

Stock ubuntu mate doesn't come with fan and LCD drivers installed. You have to manually install them. If you read through the wiki above, you will find how you can accomplish this. The wiki also explains how you can use commands or scripts to turn on or off the fan and the same for the LCD.
warmcuddle

ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby korn16ftl3 » Sun May 20, 2018 12:28 am

i went threw and installed the scripts for the fan and LCD. what i ended up with on reboot was the fan working and what is supposed to be displayed on the LCD screen displayed on my monitor. i unplugged the hdmi cord and did a reboot and the LCD was then displaying the statistice on the cloudshell its self. is there a way to make the LCD display the statistics while having the ubuntu desktop load on my monitor?

ill read some more of the wiki and see whats in there the instructions i followed are these ones:
https://wiki.odroid.com/accessory/add-o ... cd_and_fan
korn16ftl3

Unread postby korn16ftl3 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:53 am

This thread along with some things from the will seem to have the same idea for what Im trying to achieve.
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=15666
korn16ftl3

Unread postby korn16ftl3 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:37 pm

as a further update i dont seem to be getting very far with this at this point maybe im completely missing something? i have not gotten any further than actually getting just the fan and LCD to function, when the LCD functions i can only read the output of the LCD screen on either the monitor (if thats whats plugged in on boot up) or the LCD. i cant log into anything from these points at least directly nor can i seem to get back to the desktop ubuntu mate log in/UI.

I decided to at least just run the fan and forget about the LCD for the time being. I started fresh by writing a new image using ubuntu-16.04-mate-odroid-xu4-20170731.img added the repository's for the drivers and only add'd the fan package/script with the cmd sudo apt-get install odroid-cloudshell cloudshell2-fan in the terminal then sudo reboot after the reboot and only installing the fan package the lcd back light is on but no fan spinning??

lost as to why that might be honestly.
korn16ftl3

Unread postby korn16ftl3 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:50 pm

Also found this:
viewtopic.php?t=26994

Not sure if some of those button combinations to return to the Ubuntu mate log in screen/GUI how ever. Need to figure out how to get to the login/GUI after the LCD script takes over I haven't seen anything that states how to do that quite yet that I'm aware of.
korn16ftl3

Unread postby odroid » Mon May 21, 2018 10:31 am

If you plug the HDMI display, small LCD framebuffer is mapped to "/dev/fb1".
If you have no HDMI display, it is "/dev/fb0".

So you have to use "con2fbmap" command first probably.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby korn16ftl3 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:32 am

odroid wrote:If you plug the HDMI display, small LCD framebuffer is mapped to "/dev/fb1".
If you have no HDMI display, it is "/dev/fb0".

So you have to use "con2fbmap" command first probably.

not sure what the con2fbmap is i havent had a moment to get back to this project until now.

so far i have the ubuntu 18.04 mate up and running i know that team viewer will install (i ran it on the distro that came on the eMMC) now i need to sort out how to get the mate desktop to display threw HDMI and the screen stats to show on the LCD and then i will have this set up exactly how i want it.
korn16ftl3

Unread postby Kirball » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:00 pm

I’m having the same problem is there a way to kill the script and get back into my current installation of mate? I can’t figure a way to stop the LCD info from displaying via HDMI. I ordered this back in April and finally have a chance to play around with it. I’m 4 hours in from opening the box and have been trying to get back to mate’s GUI for almost 2 hours. My laptop is currently having the screen replaced and have no other PC’s at the house or way to reflash the eMMC. Please tell me there is a way to kill this script. I had not enabled SSH yet so that’s not an option for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kirball

ODROIDs: XU4Q w/ cloudshell 2

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:39 am

I think you must have a SSH connection to change the configuration for dual-head display.
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=15666
odroid
Site Admin

Return to CloudShell