Help Required - playing video - ubuntu64-16.04.3-mate-odroid

Moderators: odroid, mdrjr

Help Required - playing video - ubuntu64-16.04.3-mate-odroid

Unread postby G.Balakrishnan » Sat May 19, 2018 12:35 am

Greetings to all

I require help in playing videos - 720p, 1080p in Odroid C2 - Ubuntu image 16.04.03-mate

1. I have recently bought a TV which has the capability to display 1920x1080p and I am using this as the monitor for C2
2. Image - ubuntu64-16.04.3-mate-odroid-c2-20170927.img
3. No change done in boot.ini or bot.ini.default
4. Done all pre-requisites like update/upgrade/dist-upgrade. Lastly sudo apt-get install linux-image-c2.
(From linux-image-c2 installation, i can see arm64 linux-image-3.14.79-117 arm64 arm64 linux-image-c2 arm64 117-1 is installed)
5. Apart from the pre-installed VLC, I have installed Mplayer, Smplayer and MPV player
6. I am aware that C2 has a decent GPU and is capable of hardware video acceleration
7. I am aware that VLC, by default, does not do hardware video acceleration

-----

Observations

1. None of the above players play in Full screen . Heavy stuttering and non-synchronization of audio and video are observed. There is not much problem in playing in non-full-screen mode
2. VLC (most of the times), refuses to play the video, but plays the audio.
3. To my surpise, FireFox plays videos in a much better way that the video players
4. Even with hardware acceleration enabled, Chromium does not play videos properly
5. Kodi simply crashes - irrespective of whether I run as user "odroid" or "sudo kodi". Kodi version is 17.6

------------

The forum has a lot of information on video acceleration, the drivers involved, etc. Particulary, a lot of information on Kodi.

However, I am at a loss to understand how to go about. A simple writeup probably will help me. Please provide me one or point me to relevant documentation, easy to understand by a newbie

I can provide more information on the video files (like container-MP4, 720p/1080p, fps 24/30/60 etc) - but shall wait for some help

Regards
G Balakrishnan
India
G.Balakrishnan

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: C1

Re: Help Required - playing video - ubuntu64-16.04.3-mate-od

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 19, 2018 2:45 am

G.Balakrishnan wrote:6. I am aware that C2 has a decent GPU and is capable of hardware video acceleration

Actually that's wrong, the GPU can't do any hardware accelerated video decoding.
This is done by the VPU which is for video decoding, the GPU is only for 3D rendering.
G.Balakrishnan wrote:1. None of the above players play in Full screen .

VLC can do fullscreen if configured correctly, still it's gonna be software decoding and with that it's gonna be slow if you use HD videos.

G.Balakrishnan wrote:Heavy stuttering and non-synchronization of audio and video are observed. There is not much problem in playing in non-full-screen mode

Which is no surprise as all the players you mention can only do software decoding and have terrible scaling capabilities.

G.Balakrishnan wrote:2. VLC (most of the times), refuses to play the video, but plays the audio.

Most likely cause it's not configured correctly. Make sure it renders in OpenGL for Embedded Systems 2.0, but even then it's still software deciding, only scaling and color conversion is done by OpenGL ES.

G.Balakrishnan wrote:3. To my surpise, FireFox plays videos in a much better way that the video players

Probably uses ffmpeg as a backend which is much better than the players you chose.

G.Balakrishnan wrote:4. Even with hardware acceleration enabled, Chromium does not play videos properly

Chromium is not a video player.
There is no hardware video decoding on Chromium (even if it tells you so).
G.Balakrishnan wrote:5. Kodi simply crashes - irrespective of whether I run as user "odroid" or "sudo kodi". Kodi version is 17.6[/quve ote]
Kodi should be pre-installed and work out of the box, if not maybe something is wrong with the packages.
Have you tried running Kodi directly from the base installation BEFORE doing any updates?

G.Balakrishnan wrote:The forum has a lot of information on video acceleration, the drivers involved, etc. Particulary, a lot of information on Kodi.

However, I am at a loss to understand how to go about. A simple writeup probably will help me. Please provide me one or point me to relevant documentation, easy to understand by a newbie

I can provide more information on the video files (like container-MP4, 720p/1080p, fps 24/30/60 etc) - but shall wait for some help

Regards
G Balakrishnan
India

Kodi is the best supported player IF it's actually working.
I don't know much about the Ubuntu Image as I don't use it, but at least at some point in the past Kodi was known to work out of the box on the Ubuntu Mate image.
There's also c2play a command line video player that was created by @crashoverride which can play videos with hardware decoder as well.
As a software decoder ffplay and mpv should be the best solutions with ffplay (part of the ffmpeg package) being the best option and should be capable of software decoding up to 720p and can do fullscreen without any performance loss.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Return to Ubuntu