Lost fan control after upgrade?

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Lost fan control after upgrade?

Unread postby cliffyfromboro » Fri May 18, 2018 4:45 am

Hey.

So, I have just burned a fresh sd card and have went through the usual apt update/upgrade/dist-upgrade etc and also updated kernel to 4.14 as per instructions in the OGST main forum post.

After a reboot, I seem to have lost the odroid_fan.14 folder and contents from /sys/devices/.

Any ideas how to get this back or even just how to set my fan? Basically, I just like my fan set to full speed constantly.

Thanks
cliffyfromboro

languages_spoken: english

Re: Lost fan control after upgrade?

Unread postby rooted » Fri May 18, 2018 5:12 am

Here

Code: Select all
echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/pwm-fan/hwmon/hwmon0/automatic

echo 200 | sudo tee /sys/devices/platform/pwm-fan/hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1

Speed being the 200, anything between 0 and 255

Or if you want smart control.

https://github.com/f1vefour/odroid-xu4-fan-control
rooted

ODROIDs: C1, C1+, C2
XU3 Lite, XU4
N1
VU7+
HiFi Shield 2
Smart Power (original)

Unread postby cliffyfromboro » Fri May 18, 2018 5:50 am

Thank you kind sir.

Will this survive across reboots?
cliffyfromboro

Unread postby meveric » Fri May 18, 2018 5:50 am

although updating to Kernel 4.14 works, I recommend against it, if you want to use it for retro-gaming.. you get about 15% performance hit if you use Kernel 4.14 instead of 3.10.
Also currently you need to manually install the newer xf86-video-armsoc driver to use G2D support for Kernel 4.14.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby cliffyfromboro » Fri May 18, 2018 6:05 am

Thanks for the info meveric. The only reason really that I updated kernel was my PS3 (USB) controller just would not work properly. It worked in PPSSPP however, when I tried to configure in emulationstation, it would not record any input unless I literally started mashing buttons. A con of the later kernel also is that my the left analog stick takes control of my mouse which is a pain.

I have noticed that I was probably better off with the older kernel as things like Youtube at least worked a bit better. If I choose a 720p video on YouTube now it just is totally messed up and usually the video just turns green.

If I re-image an sd card and start a fresh, do you have any ideas about the ps3 controller?

Thanks

EDIT: COuld I possibly just downgrade the kernel or would that be a pain?
cliffyfromboro

Unread postby meveric » Fri May 18, 2018 6:36 am

cliffyfromboro wrote:Thanks for the info meveric. The only reason really that I updated kernel was my PS3 (USB) controller just would not work properly. It worked in PPSSPP however, when I tried to configure in emulationstation, it would not record any input unless I literally started mashing buttons. A con of the later kernel also is that my the left analog stick takes control of my mouse which is a pain.

Have you installed the sixaxis drivers?
apt-get install sixad

This should allow for wireless PS3 controller.. I use it quite often especially in PPSSPP. EmulationStation should work fine as well, but Kodi will have issues due to some incompatibility.

cliffyfromboro wrote:I have noticed that I was probably better off with the older kernel as things like Youtube at least worked a bit better. If I choose a 720p video on YouTube now it just is totally messed up and usually the video just turns green.

That is due to the lack of correct xf86-video-armsoc-odroid driver. The G2D part is not working with the old driver and this causes some issues.

cliffyfromboro wrote:If I re-image an sd card and start a fresh, do you have any ideas about the ps3 controller?

Thanks

Check above.. I use wireless PS3 that should work fine (you need to plug it in once for pairing).
PPSSPP and retroarch based emulation should work fine.
reicast (Dreamcast) should also work as I added automated controller support for PS3.

Others will probably not work (Saturn, Jaguar, Hatari, etc.) these will require manual configuration of the controller.

cliffyfromboro wrote:EDIT: COuld I possibly just downgrade the kernel or would that be a pain?

It's possible to downgrade, but you would have to fix the boot.ini manually as 3.10 only has exynos5422-odroidxu3.dtb while 4.14 uses different dtb files for XU3, XU3-Lite and XU4.
You have to manually revert the boot.ini to only use exynos5422-odroidxu3.dtb again.
fatload mmc 0:1 0x44000000 exynos5422-odroidxu3.dtb
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby cliffyfromboro » Sat May 19, 2018 5:22 am

Well I just wrote the image and started again.

Installed sixad and it pairs (i think, it rumbles and the lights flash sequentially then all are lit) but emulationstation does not detect it.
cliffyfromboro

Unread postby meveric » Sat May 19, 2018 5:49 am

I just tested EmulationStation with PS3 controller and you're correct.. although the Controller itself is found correctly the input is totally scrambled and it's impossible to setup something useful.

I'll see what I can find out about this. Maybe it's time to update sixad again.
meveric

Unread postby cliffyfromboro » Sun May 20, 2018 7:24 pm

Ok, so I have gotten further along.

Install xboxdrv
sudo apt install xboxdrv

the the following command

sudo xboxdrv --daemon --silent --dbus disabled --detach-kernel-driver

This then gives me a functioning PS3 controller in emulationstation which is detected as an XBOX 360 Controller. Initial controller setup breezes through with each button press detected as it should be.

I just need to figure out how to have the last command run at each boot and i'll be good to go.

EDIT: Well, I don't seem to get any input during emulation. Did input bind using RetroArch frontend and everything worked fine. Started emulationstation again and launched a game but now get no input for the game. Even the yellow text pops up saying XBOX 360 Controller configured.
cliffyfromboro

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 21, 2018 4:00 am

retroarch uses auto configuration depending on the controller that it finds.. xboxdrv is probably not very good to use here as it totally messes with the ID the controller sends.
If PS3 is working correctly it works within retroarch without any modification, as the button layout for PS3 controller is already stored within retroarch.
meveric

Unread postby cliffyfromboro » Mon May 21, 2018 4:27 am

meveric wrote:retroarch uses auto configuration depending on the controller that it finds.. xboxdrv is probably not very good to use here as it totally messes with the ID the controller sends.
If PS3 is working correctly it works within retroarch without any modification, as the button layout for PS3 controller is already stored within retroarch.

Ah, so I just need to figure out how to get the PS3 controller working properly then. I wonder, is there anything I need to install alongside sixad. When I had Raspberry Pi, I would press the PS button and the controller would rumble and the lights would flash sequentially and then the Player 1 light would light on its own. On OGST with sixad installed, all the lights stay lit after flashing. Could this indicate that it not being assigned to anything?
cliffyfromboro

Unread postby meveric » Mon May 21, 2018 5:16 am

I know it was working in the past (same as you describe, you hit the PS button, it rumbles and it was working), but since I have issues with it as well, I will try and updating the driver tomorrow and see if that can solve it.
meveric

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 22, 2018 12:36 am

just tested new sixad and seems to work fine.

I just noticed I needed to charge my controller and my "old" bluetooth dongle that I'm using does not have very good range (about 1-2m max before the controller doesn't work anymore).

Still it works, I tested retraorch and PSX Ridge Racer 4 with the controller directly as well as EmulationStation control, all worked fine.
meveric

Unread postby cliffyfromboro » Tue May 22, 2018 5:35 pm

meveric wrote:just tested new sixad and seems to work fine.

I just noticed I needed to charge my controller and my "old" bluetooth dongle that I'm using does not have very good range (about 1-2m max before the controller doesn't work anymore).

Still it works, I tested retraorch and PSX Ridge Racer 4 with the controller directly as well as EmulationStation control, all worked fine.

I will give it another try. Is there anything else that I should install alongside sixad?
cliffyfromboro

Unread postby meveric » Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 pm

normally not.. the driver is part of the Kernel sixad is only to use the bluetooth part.
meveric

Return to OGST-XU4