OGST (ODROID-GameStation-Turbo) Console Kit

Very powerful gaming console solution based on Debian

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: OGST (ODROID-GameStation-Turbo) Console Kit

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 am

I know, but they are already nicely put together, you don't have to search for them.
And they work great on Kodi, so why not as standalone for us as well? ;)
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1

Unread postby AreaScout » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:55 am

meveric wrote:Looks really good.. you should check if the shadertoy visualizer works that is used for Kodi, that thing is amazing and good looking.
https://github.com/notspiff/visualization.shadertoy

I already use code from that branch ;)

rooted wrote:
meveric wrote:Looks really good.. you should check if the shadertoy visualizer works that is used for Kodi, that thing is amazing and good looking.
https://github.com/notspiff/visualization.shadertoy
Most of those came from the same site he's already using, https://www.shadertoy.com

Yes they are, i really love that site there is so much online which you can use with this Display, the only thing was missing was to capture the audio data from somewhere, but this turned out to be
an easy task :)
AreaScout

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, XU4Q

Unread postby jermzz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:57 am

Is there a way to get this display working with the Retropie 4.3.8 image that's been available?
jermzz

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: xu4

Unread postby meveric » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:13 am

that's up to the developers of retropie.
The drivers are in the kernel, the image needs to use them.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.
meveric

Unread postby butch2k » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:30 am

Got mine today but it seems there is an issue with the screen, it was a bit loose almost unglued from the board when i opened the package and after setting it up i was greeted by an ugly white band on the left side :cry:

screen.jpg
screen.jpg (23.79 KiB) Viewed 1440 times
butch2k

Unread postby AreaScout » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:20 pm

butch2k wrote:Got mine today but it seems there is an issue with the screen, it was a bit loose almost unglued from the board when i opened the package and after setting it up i was greeted by an ugly white band on the left side :cry:

i would contact HK for a replacement !
AreaScout

languages_spoken: english, german
ODROIDs: X2, U3, XU3, C2, XU4Q

Unread postby odroid » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:59 am

@butch2k
The LCD glass seems to be damaged.
Please contact "odroid at hardkernel dot com" with a link of my post.
She will help your RMA process if you purchased the board from us directly.
Otherwise, contact your local distributor.
odroid
Site Admin

languages_spoken: English
ODROIDs: ODROID

Unread postby butch2k » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:11 am

Thanks a lot.
I contacted Ameridroid as i got it from them, let's hope i could get a replacement part as it's really annoying.
butch2k

Unread postby Ameridroid » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:24 am

Hello Butch2k,

I sent you an email.

I will get you taken care of.

Thank you
Stephen
Ameridroid

Unread postby butch2k » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:39 am

Thanks a lot.
As quick update i inspected the screen more closely and it appears it was not seated correctly on the bottom of the white plactic bordering it. Indeed it is sitting on the edge of the white border on one side and both plastic and screen were damaged in the process. The damage is more apparent on picture than irl.

Here are a few pics.
IMG_1388.jpg
IMG_1388.jpg (103.59 KiB) Viewed 1306 times

IMG_1389.jpg
IMG_1389.jpg (106.36 KiB) Viewed 1306 times

IMG_1391.jpg
IMG_1391.jpg (93.52 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
butch2k

Unread postby lephro » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:28 am

Are there any chances we can get a hand on the sources of the console kit daemon that comes with ogst?

Iam pretty new to linux dev but would like to extend the daemon.

The thing iam mostly interested in, is how to react on a "game started"-event. Like... how can i make my code react to a certain "action" ?
lephro

languages_spoken: english, german, polish
ODROIDs: XU4

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:08 am

There is no daemon.. it's just a bunch of shell scripts that are started.
Basically you use mplayer to display a picture or video on the LCD and a script tells the system when to do it.
As starting a emulator from the frontend requires you to give a start command, that start command is calling the script, that's all.
No magic behind it.
meveric

Unread postby lephro » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:31 pm

So what does the console-kit-daemon process do?
If there is no daemon, why is this thing called daemon :P
And its not a shellscript btw :)

I already found the script that calls mplayer.

So can you give me any clue where i can take a look in these start commands? I guess somewhere at retroarch?
I understand how you do it in theory but where do i start to look at in terms of actuall files?
lephro

Unread postby meveric » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:42 pm

lephro wrote:So what does the console-kit-daemon process do?

There is no console-kit-daemon process
lephro wrote:If there is no daemon, why is this thing called daemon :P

No one besides you is calling it a daemon.
lephro wrote:And its not a shellscript btw :)

There is one script that calls mplayer and passes a video/picture to be displayed on the LCD.
There are several scripts to start emulators which define when the other script that calls mplayer is started and hand over the video/picture that should be shown to this script.
I don't know what you want to call it, but for me these are scripts as they all run under bash.

lephro wrote:So can you give me any clue where i can take a look in these start commands?

/usr/local/bin all files with -xbmc in the name are the scripts that are used to start the emulators.
lephro wrote:I guess somewhere at retroarch?

Retroarch has nothing to do with this.
meveric

Unread postby lephro » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:13 am

Thanks for you patient answers. You see, iam really new to this, but i hope i will be able to contribute something some day.

I guess the xbmc scripts are for handling the launch from kodi. How is the launch from EmulationStation handled? I couldnt get the Kodi version running, since my libary contains too many roms (the scraper would take about a week... i dont have that patience / time).

Regarding the "console-kit-daemon":

I got a binary process (not a script.. dunno how you call it in the linux world... i would call it programm^^) that always starts with my OGST that is called / named "console-kit-daemon" which is located in /usr/sbin/. I have no clue what it does or where it came from. I thought thats the thing responseable for the video playing. Does anyone have a clue?
lephro

Unread postby meveric » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 am

lephro wrote:I guess the xbmc scripts are for handling the launch from kodi. How is the launch from EmulationStation handled?

I use the same launcher for all frontends. The image was started in 2014 back then EmulationStation was not very good, and Kodi was still called xbmc, therefore the name, but the scripts are versatile enough to run for every frontend, therefore they are used on ROM Collection Browser (Kodi), EmulationStation, and Attract Mode alike.

lephro wrote:I couldnt get the Kodi version running, since my libary contains too many roms (the scraper would take about a week... i dont have that patience / time).

Yes that is a common issue. Although it might sound fun having every single game in existence in a library for a system, there's no way you gonna play every single game. So I'd highly suggest limiting yourself to the games you really like.
You will have the same issues with other frontends like EmulationStation as they also wait on timeouts for thegamesdb.net which can take very long if you have thousands of games.
It's easier to add games later than trying to scrap thousands of games you never play.

lephro wrote:Regarding the "console-kit-daemon":

I got a binary process (not a script.. dunno how you call it in the linux world... i would call it programm^^) that always starts with my OGST that is called / named "console-kit-daemon" which is located in /usr/sbin/. I have no clue what it does or where it came from. I thought thats the thing responseable for the video playing. Does anyone have a clue?

That's part of the OS and has nothing to do with the OGST console kit. It's a daemon for keyboard and mouse input:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/consolekit
meveric

Unread postby qbertaddict » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:22 am

Here is a video I did of lcd setup and configuration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8NVJH1UBd0&t=5s
qbertaddict

ODROIDs: odroid, pi 3, 3b+, tinkerboard

Unread postby meveric » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:20 pm

by now it's probably a lot faster as I uploaded a new image that has already most of the updates installed, so the entire setup process should be a little bit faster.
meveric

Unread postby cainkirisgai » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 am

having an issue with my lcd it displays like an old stye 16bitmap image almost like the lcd drivers themselves are missing anyone else have anything similar or fixed this issue?
cainkirisgai

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:36 pm

can you make a picture of it to show what's wrong?
meveric

Unread postby cainkirisgai » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:50 pm

Yea here is the main screen with out any emulators loaded I'm currently scraping some roms so I will show psx after that's done
cainkirisgai

Unread postby cainkirisgai » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:57 pm

yea here is a pic of it in just the normal mode with no emulators loading currently scraping another rom set after i will show psx logo. does it with nothing connected to usb ports as well. Could it possibly be to the usb cable? the kit sent me the wrong cable and i had to use whatever cable i could find and it seems after switching one the screen actually worked the first cable i used i couldnt use mouse or keyboard attached to the board.
Attachments
ux4-n64.jpg
ux4-n64.jpg (48.3 KiB) Viewed 802 times
cainkirisgai

Unread postby cainkirisgai » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:46 pm

and here is how it looks like what i load a psx game
Attachments
ux4-n64-PSX.jpg
ux4-n64-PSX.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 795 times
cainkirisgai

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:36 pm

hmm looks like the colors are inverted. Maybe @odroid has an idea what it could be.
Maybe it's a manufacture issue.
Have you restarted your ODROID ever since this happened? Drivers are loaded on each boot.
meveric

Unread postby cainkirisgai » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:44 pm

yes i have a few times wasnt sure if it mightve been a power issue since i didnt get the right usb cable either in the package so i used what i had and was wondering if the cable was too long
cainkirisgai

Unread postby meveric » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:49 pm

The USB cable should only be for the 4 USB ports, the rest is done by the ribbon cable, that's the only one needed for the display to work.
meveric

Unread postby cainkirisgai » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:56 pm

hmm ill try taking it out and reseating it maybe something wasnt popped in all the way
cainkirisgai

Unread postby cainkirisgai » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:32 pm

nope still having inverted colors even after rebooting, and reseating the cables (actually undid everything and started from scratch) even reflashed the image and started over and followed all instructions and its still doing it.
cainkirisgai

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:04 pm

@cainkirisgai,

I think your display board seems to have a hardware problem.
Please contact "odroid at hardkernel dot com" with a link of my post.
She will help your RMA process if you purchased the board from us directly.
Otherwise, contact your local distributor.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby cainkirisgai » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:44 pm

ok I sent the Email only thing is I dont have all the cables is that going to be a problem?
cainkirisgai

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:49 pm

I don't think so.
Because the small TFT LCD uses a serial SPI communication, the 30pin IDC cable might not be a root cause.
I think the LCD panel could be damaged.
But we might need to replace all parts.

They will reply tomorrow since it is already near PM 8:00 in Korea.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby cainkirisgai » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:51 pm

alright I bought it from amazon but it was from Odroid directly on amazon is that going to make a difference?
cainkirisgai

Unread postby odroid » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:06 pm

You had to send a mail to amazon seller Odroid, Inc.
They are in Chicago. So you might have a reply today.
odroid
Site Admin

Unread postby cainkirisgai » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:50 am

2nd kit came in and now i have a different problem with this screen will take more screen shots to show later
cainkirisgai

Unread postby odroid » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:48 am

@cainkirisgai,
Create a new thread with pictures and we will help you.
odroid
Site Admin

Previous

Return to OGST-XU4