Off Topic Banter

phaseshifter
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Re: Off Topic Banter

Unread post by phaseshifter » Fri May 17, 2019 9:37 am

@rooted i don't think he has the time atm to give much of his time here..i am shore those who know are quite aware of how things are with him and his tribe...wishing them all well..if he has time to pm then i have time to reciprocate...phase....
These users thanked the author phaseshifter for the post:
rooted (Sat May 18, 2019 5:15 am)
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sat May 25, 2019 11:17 pm

Fixed, thanks mod.

phaseshifter
ODROIDs: U-2,U3+,,XU-3,,XU3-LITE,,XU-4
C1+,,C-2,,,
N-1,,N-2,...other odroid acc`s as well

Unread post by phaseshifter » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:56 am

hope thing`s are going good and well for you and your tribe..peace out phase...
These users thanked the author phaseshifter for the post:
rooted (Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:30 am)
Build It And They Will Come...Be Bold And Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid..!!!

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:33 am

phaseshifter wrote:hope thing`s are going good and well for you and your tribe..peace out phase...
It's not much different mate, still out of town but my son is getting a little stronger. I hope you are well.

thatchunkylad1989
ODROIDs: C2, XU4
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:40 am

Hello. never saw this before.
Anyone got any tips on what I can do with an ODROID C1+ that's sitting around doing nothing? :D

mad_ady
ODROIDs: XU4, C1+, C2, N1, H2, N2

Unread post by mad_ady » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 am

Convert it into a pihole or vpn concentrator. Or a print server if you have a usb printer around.

thatchunkylad1989
ODROIDs: C2, XU4
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by thatchunkylad1989 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:40 am

I already have my Pi Zero W as my Pi-Hole server.
You got me thinking though; can I somehow route all of my traffic through my C1+ - so I can keep an eye on what connects and what device is pulling the most data?

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:29 am

Yes, but you'd need to tinker with networking. What software will you be using to calculate where data flows and who are the top talkers?

There are two options:
1. Setup squid proxy on the C1 and set it as a proxy for your other machines - but https traffic will not pass easily through the proxy.
2. Set it as authoritative dhcp server in your network and use two subinterfaces - one connects to your router (a /30), the other to your lan. You're basically turning your C1 into a router (you'll need to manually add your lan class in your router's routing table).

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:08 am

mad_ady wrote:Yes, but you'd need to tinker with networking. What software will you be using to calculate where data flows and who are the top talkers?

There are two options:
1. Setup squid proxy on the C1 and set it as a proxy for your other machines - but https traffic will not pass easily through the proxy.
2. Set it as authoritative dhcp server in your network and use two subinterfaces - one connects to your router (a /30), the other to your lan. You're basically turning your C1 into a router (you'll need to manually add your lan class in your router's routing table).
Since you are a network engineer could you tell me how fingbox passively monitors a network?

https://www.fing.com/products/fingbox

What equivalent Linux software could do the same thing on an Odroid?

Without additional set-up it can do all this.

Code: Select all

Description

The plug & play device for network security and control that’s built for every home:

Detect presence: Fingbox shows you who is home and what devices are in use at all times. Know when your kids are back from school or wife is home from work.

Parental control: schedule digital downtime in advance during homework or bedtime to keep your children off their devices. Someone playing too much Fortnight? Pause or block any device on demand when you need to.

Remote monitoring: 24/7 monitoring of your home network and all devices connected to it Intruder detection & blocking: automatically block any device from joining your network in advance to keep intruders out. Find intruders on your network and block them.

Bandwidth hog identification: select devices and find out bandwidth consumption to streaming experience. See which may be slowing down the network.

Wi-Fi & Internet speed: automated speed tests to see your Internet Service Provider (ISP) performance over time. Use the information to see how good your Internet service is and complain or switch if necessary.

Wi-Fi attack detection: alerts about attacks (deauthentication flood, man in the middle, KRACK attacks)

Internet security checks: identifies opened ports and security risks Wi-Fi sweet spot finder: Identify the best connection and dead zones around your home

Digital Fence: see all devices near your home even if they are not connected to your Wi-Fi

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:44 pm

rooted wrote:Since you are a network engineer could you tell me how fingbox passively monitors a network?
Challege accepted :) I'll try to answer inline. Their device seems to have gigabit ethernet and I expect that needs to be hooked up. It could have an active role (dhcp server and wifi AP) - which would make things easier. But some things could work passively as well.
Description

The plug & play device for network security and control that’s built for every home:

Detect presence: Fingbox shows you who is home and what devices are in use at all times. Know when your kids are back from school or wife is home from work.
This is actually easy to do - if you track the people over wifi. Here's an integration between Home Assistant's device tracker and Kismet - which scans for nearby clients: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... __1xZXUyX0

Parental control: schedule digital downtime in advance during homework or bedtime to keep your children off their devices. Someone playing too much Fortnight? Pause or block any device on demand when you need to.
If the fing device is inline (e.g. as a router), it's easy. If not, and if the target is a wifi device you can send deauth packets to kick him off the wifi (see this on an odroid: https://books.google.ro/books?id=JlwqDA ... th&f=false)
If the target is wired, you'll need to do arp poisoning so that you force the router to forward its traffic to you - though it might not always work and could be disruptive. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARP_spoofing
Remote monitoring: 24/7 monitoring of your home network and all devices connected to it Intruder detection & blocking: automatically block any device from joining your network in advance to keep intruders out. Find intruders on your network and block them.
Could be done with a combination of wifi jamming/deauth. Detection (if connected to wifi can be done passivly with arpwatch.
Bandwidth hog identification: select devices and find out bandwidth consumption to streaming experience. See which may be slowing down the network.
Could be done passivly over wifi, Tools like kismet can show traffic volume per client.
Wi-Fi & Internet speed: automated speed tests to see your Internet Service Provider (ISP) performance over time. Use the information to see how good your Internet service is and complain or switch if necessary.
speedtest-cli
Wi-Fi attack detection: alerts about attacks (deauthentication flood, man in the middle, KRACK attacks)
Kismet can detect those and notify/take action if needed.
Internet security checks: identifies opened ports and security risks Wi-Fi sweet spot finder: Identify the best connection and dead zones around your home
nmap/nessus for security checks. For the other something custom I suppose.
Digital Fence: see all devices near your home even if they are not connected to your Wi-Fi
Same as my first reply.

So you could do the same as diy, but it will eat up some of your time to set it up and polish it.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
rooted (Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:02 pm)

rooted

Unread post by rooted » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Thanks for the response mate, my understanding is it does all this passively meaning you don't connect to it through DHCP/DNS or WiFi.

Eventually I will check out kismet, I already know about deauth'ing wifi and arp poisoning but thought maybe there was another way I didn't know about.

I certainly didn't know you could gather bandwidth usage statistics like you described. I get what you said over WiFi but how would you do this to devices connected to the LAN?

mad_ady

Unread post by mad_ady » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:53 pm

Regarding bandwidth - you need to remember that even encrypted wifi keeps layer 2 information (mac addresses) in the clear - that way you can calculate bandwidth consumption (you know the destination mac and packet size), and do tracking. Newer androids (9) randomize their mac on beacon probes to prevent tracking, though if you connect to an AP you will still send traffic with your MAC address.

Regarding being completely passive - I don't know. To enforce limits you need to be able to send. That or integrate with the router and have it kill the connection.

One problem that they don't mention is how many radios they have. To be efficient (to prevent channel hopping) they need to tune to your AP channel. Though if you have multiple access points on differenr bands (2.4/5), things get more difficult.
These users thanked the author mad_ady for the post:
rooted (Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:37 am)

Gburas
languages_spoken: English, Polish
ODROIDs: Xu4, N2

Unread post by Gburas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 pm

hi
quick question, i understand difference between i386 and arm architecture, but i have this cheap tablet "Teclast X80 Pro 32GB Intel Z8350 Quad Core". Originally he had win 10 and android, i re-flashed him to be only android CM. This core Intel Z8350 what architecture it is, because he can run windows and android? Next question is normal win32 apps can run on this (i know i can simply try to install them but as i mentioned i wipe out windows)? i`m wondering if he could run VCDS program.

elatllat
ODROIDs: XU4, N1, N2

Unread post by elatllat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Gburas wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 pm
...Intel Z8350 what architecture...
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 2-ghz.html

it's x86_64b
Gburas wrote:
...windows and android?
both OSs are available on multiple architectures
Gburas wrote:
...? i`m wondering if he could run VCDS program...
On android on the Z8350 I assume, maybe with wine.

Return to “General Topics”