V4L2 M2M decoders on mainline: need testers !

Moderators: mdrjr, odroid

Re: V4L2 M2M decoders on mainline: need testers !

Unread postby memeka » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:42 pm

@Ely thanks.

btw, are there plans or is it hard to add S805 support to video dec? (Also, video enc)? I am just referring to VPU, not video plane support.
You mentioned there's limited support for it ... what are the limitations? :)

cheers.
memeka

languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: XU rev2 + eMMC + UART
U3 + eMMC + IO Shield + UART

Unread postby Ely » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:43 pm

memeka wrote:@Ely thanks.

btw, are there plans or is it hard to add S805 support to video dec? (Also, video enc)? I am just referring to VPU, not video plane support.
You mentioned there's limited support for it ... what are the limitations? :)

cheers.

So I actually started the vdec work a few months ago on an Odroid-C1, and most of the current code is compatible with that platform (S805). The main "problem" with S805 is that it only outputs the tiled pixel formats and doesn't allow for regular NV12 or YUV420P.
It's entirely possible that S805 gets added to the supported SoCs list in the future, but it'll require plumbing with everything else to support those formats.
Not to mention, there's no display support (DRM) for S805 as it's a completely different IP, so the vdec work on it was kinda "meh".

VENC, first I'll start working on it on S905+, and then we'll see ;) . It's a big, big chunk of code.
Ely

Unread postby memeka » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:43 pm

thanks for the reply.
dec+enc is still useful for S805 even w/o DRM cause it can make for an efficient iot device (cortex A5 is very low power), with a camera attached it can still stream high-res; or even an emby server it can transcode to clients.
but i am really impressed by the progress :) can't wait for encoders too :D
memeka

Unread postby miskol » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:58 pm

I would really like to see multiple decoding.

@Ely can you explain what is difference between canvas that amlogic and you use in drivers and some DMA buffer ?
miskol

Unread postby Ely » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:09 pm

miskol wrote:I would really like to see multiple decoding.

@Ely can you explain what is difference between canvas that amlogic and you use in drivers and some DMA buffer ?

A canvas is a pixel buffer descriptor (you program it with the dma buffer's phy addr, width, height, and other properties). Then, IPs like vdec and display are configured with canvas IDs rather than the phy addrs. This is only the case up to H.264, starting with VP9/HEVC you program the phy addr directly.

Multiple decoding is a very long way unfortunately, because each codec has a different firmware and kernel code for whether it's the single or multi-instance version. And the multi-instance versions are more complex.
And then you need to implement vdec scheduling and context switching. So a lot of work overall.
Ely

Unread postby martos » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Sadly i think encoder with aml drivers is a dream.
Amlogic take no time for dev and it's only because some guy ( i see Maxime Jourdan name https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/project/l ... itter=7555 , and a lot of other) make something to have this feature.
And without a team to support i am afraid this feature still not complete ...
I am a behinner so i hope i write an error and we can have more.
Just for information, coud some one can explain the diff betwwen a drivers than rockchip mpp and the way to use V4L2 and the specific v4l2_m2m ?
martos

ODROIDs: MC1

Unread postby OverSun » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:02 pm

It's just because the whole world got crazy about android. All the consumers jerk off to android I have no idea why. Look for any guide how to make SBC a video player, 99% of them are going to start "download Android image ...".
So here we go, there is no reason for manufacturer to care about anything else than Android where most things works thanks to google that most of the time even do the job for manufacturers writing drivers and userspace libraries.
Would you invest months of developers time and salaries to make bunch of geeks happy?
OverSun

Unread postby miskol » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:34 pm

@Ely you wrote on phoronix that amlogic drivers support multiple decoding instances. Since when? I didn't check code for year. Is it really true?
miskol

Unread postby Ely » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:13 pm

miskol wrote:@Ely you wrote on phoronix that amlogic drivers support multiple decoding instances. Since when? I didn't check code for year. Is it really true?

They've been supporting it for a while now, but I don't know since when. They had to rewrite a driver and a firmware for each codec (vmh264, vmmjpeg, vmmpeg4, vmmpeg12..) which are significantly more complex. the HEVC and VP9 drivers remain the same though as they already supported it. They also added a bunch of code for vdec scheduling and context switching, as well as manual esparser control.
Ely

Unread postby memeka » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 pm

@Ely

any news about encoding support? :D
memeka

Previous

Return to Projects