[OS] Debian Stretch

meveric
languages_spoken: german, english
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Re: [OS] Debian Stretch

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:08 am

odro-volti wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:28 am
Sorry for the noob question, but I read the forum thread on eMMC recovery

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=6173

and the manual on burning eMMC with SD-card/USB adapter.

I bought an eMMC (16 GB) with the XU4, what is the official way to get stretch on this eMMC?

Many thanks!
eMMC recovery is only required if you use an eMMC from a different board. For example if you had a ODROID C2 with an eMMC and now want to use the same eMMC on the XU4, then you have to do an eMMC recovery.
But if you're only switching from one OS to another OS then you don't need an eMMC recovery. You can simply flash the image you want with etcher or another software on the eMMC and you're good to go.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

meveric
ODROIDs: X2, U2, U3, XU-Lite, XU3, XU3-Lite, C1, XU4, C2, C1+, XU4Q, HC1, N1, Go, H2 (N4100), N2

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:10 am

meaz wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:41 am
Alright I quit. I'm kind of disappointed. I've tried some video with kodi, it was so slow, and the image quality not that great. I'm just getting back on my rpi2, it worked just fine. Thanks a lot meveric for the time you took to help out !
The XU4 has far better video support than the RPi2, so if you have issues with the video, it's likely it's not working correctly.
You should check with the "o"-key if hardware acceleration is used or not.

Also if your main focus is to use Kodi and nothing else. I'd highly suggest using LibreELEC or CoreELEC for the XU4, as they are optimized for Kodi and offer a far better out of the box experience for Kodi.
Donate to support my work on the ODROID GameStation Turbo Image for U2/U3 XU3/XU4 X2 X C1 as well as many other releases.
Check out the Games and Emulators section to find some of my work or check the files in my repository to find the software i build for ODROIDs.
If you want to add my repository to your image read my HOWTO integrate my repo into your image.

odro-volti
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid XU4
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by odro-volti » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Aha, OK, thank you again! So there is some hidden "secret juice" partition (kind of BIOS) on the eMMC, which is board-specific and the visible partition for the OS can be used like a simple SD-card?
kind regards

volti

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:49 pm

odro-volti wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 pm
Aha, OK, thank you again! So there is some hidden "secret juice" partition (kind of BIOS) on the eMMC, which is board-specific and the visible partition for the OS can be used like a simple SD-card?
This only applies for the Exynos based boards, where there is some hidden stuff from Samsung on these partitions.. AmLogic doesn't have something like this.
It's rarely the case that you have to do this anymore.

Bernini
languages_spoken: english, french, italian
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Bernini » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:14 pm

meveric wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:58 am
Bernini wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:50 am
I thought there was a technical reason for /boot being FAT32. So I could e.g. turn it into an EXT4 partition without any issues (besides the need to update UUIDs and whatnot)?
I'm not sure about this, as the uboot must support booting from ext4 as well, and since i'm using the uboot from hardkernel I can not tell if ext4 boot is supported from uboot or not.
Thanks. Will leave it as is then. I already resized the /boot partition so I can keep a few kernels around, that's enough for now.

odro-volti

Unread post by odro-volti » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:23 pm

Hi again!

I was browsing this here

https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/Stretch/

..and found a RC2 from 30-03-2019 and a release 1.0 dated 2018. Is the RC2 stable enough to be used for a NAS (MD RAID, samba, nothing more), or should I take something else? In principle a JeOS would be enough, no desktop needed, I guess....
kind regards

volti

MichaIng
languages_spoken: english german

Unread post by MichaIng » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 pm

@meaz
Just a last try, as I am not sure how Kodi scans for CEC devices:

Code: Select all

ln -s /dev/cec0 /dev/CEC

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:53 pm

odro-volti wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:23 pm
Hi again!

I was browsing this here

https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric/images/Stretch/

..and found a RC2 from 30-03-2019 and a release 1.0 dated 2018. Is the RC2 stable enough to be used for a NAS (MD RAID, samba, nothing more), or should I take something else? In principle a JeOS would be enough, no desktop needed, I guess....
The RC2 is fine there are some minor issues if you want to start right away with WLAN without setting the system up with LAN first, but aside from that the system should work as any other Debian Image should work.

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:11 am

Hi,

Do you think you could add serviio media server to your repository?

https://serviio.org/
Serviio is a free media server. It allows you to stream your media files (music, video or images) to renderer devices (e.g. a TV set, Bluray player, games console or mobile phone) on your connected home network.
I use gerbera for streaming music as it's a good dlna server. But I prefer serviio as a video streamer.
Did you ever find the time to repackaging gerbera?

Anyway thanks for your hard work.
jemail

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:18 am

Serviio seems to be closed source source, so no I don't think there's a way to port this to ODROIDs.
It might run through x86 emulation, but I'm not sure.

gerbera i've seen is in Debian Buster, so I could try backport it to Stretch. Let me see what I can find out.
These users thanked the author meveric for the post:
jemail (Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:27 am)

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:25 am

meveric wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:18 am
Serviio seems to be closed source source, so no I don't think there's a way to port this to ODROIDs.
It might run through x86 emulation, but I'm not sure.

gerbera i've seen is in Debian Buster, so I could try backport it to Stretch. Let me see what I can find out.
I think serviio is a java application at least the tar only seems to contain .jar files. I guess I should just give it a try, assuming I can install java?
I think you already had a go with gerbera and maybe added it to your repo, but I think there were some manual configuration issues that maybe stops a package installation?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:39 am

Ok, that was quite easy, I've created the backport from Debian Buster to Debian Stretch:
viewtopic.php?p=253000#p253000

I don't know how nice it plays with the version I created earlier, so maybe it would be best to remove the other version first.
jemail (Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:43 am)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:40 am

jemail wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:25 am
I think serviio is a java application at least the tar only seems to contain .jar files. I guess I should just give it a try, assuming I can install java?
I think you already had a go with gerbera and maybe added it to your repo, but I think there were some manual configuration issues that maybe stops a package installation?
If it's really just a java application, then yes installing openjdk and using "java -jar <JAR-FILE>" should be all that is needed.

Yes, the manual steps should no longer be needed with the version from Debian Buster.
jemail (Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:43 am)

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:47 am

Serviio works with no problems. Remember to install serviio requirements: default-jre (openjdk), ffmpeg, x264, dcraw

Here is the supervisord configuration to start it on boot:

[program:serviio]
command = /path/to/serviio install folder/bin/serviio.sh
process_name=serviio
user = username
autorestart = True
Thanks for you help and advice.
jemail

Gburas
languages_spoken: English, Polish
ODROIDs: Xu4, N2

Unread post by Gburas » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:47 pm

there`s still problem with kernel update, now i knew how to handle but just for your info

run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/uInitrd exited with return code 1
cp: error writing '/boot/zImage': No space left on device
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zImage exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.14.111+ (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4:
 linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 depends on linux-image-4.14.111+; however:
  Package linux-image-4.14.111+ is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up linux-headers-4.14.111+ (4.14.111-20190418-xu4) ...
Setting up linux-headers-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4 (4.14.111-1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-4.14.111+
 linux-image-4.14-armhf-odroid-xu4
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:48 pm

Gburas wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:47 pm
there`s still problem with kernel update

cp: error writing '/boot/zImage': No space left on device
The Update is fine, but the you run out of space on the boot partition.
This is partly my fault, the earliest boards had only 64MB boot partition, this was enlarged later to 128MB.
But with Kernel 4.14 and Debian Stretch 128MB can be too small as well, and the boot partition should be bigger to prevent "No space left on device" issues.

lele
ODROIDs: XU4

Reboot is not working?

Unread post by lele » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 pm

Hi Meveric, for some reasons reboot is not working for me with Stretch, I can't understand why.

No problems with Jessie on the same board. Just SSH, type "reboot" and it reboots.

With Stretch it shouts down cleanly, the red light is on but then nothing else happens, i.e. it does NOT come back up.

Any ideas?

Thanks

jemail

Re: Reboot is not working?

Unread post by jemail » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:23 am

lele wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 pm
Hi Meveric, for some reasons reboot is not working for me with Stretch, I can't understand why.

No problems with Jessie on the same board. Just SSH, type "reboot" and it reboots.

With Stretch it shouts down cleanly, the red light is on but then nothing else happens, i.e. it does NOT come back up.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Try

shutdown
command instead. Have a look at the man page for shutdown, you can reboot, halt and poweroff using shutdown.

jemail

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:26 am

@meveric

Can you backport qbittorrent-nox from Buster to Stretch and add it to your repo please?

https://packages.debian.org/buster/qbittorrent-nox

Thanks,
jemail

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:28 am

lele wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks
I don't know what is causing this, I use the reboot commands on my Debian Stretch images all the time and they are working.
Without UART I doubt you will get any clue what is causing this.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:30 am

jemail wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:26 am
@meveric

Can you backport qbittorrent-nox from Buster to Stretch and add it to your repo please?

Thanks,
jemail
I can try but I'm not sure if it will work.
It uses libboost and that is a software that is VERY version specific.
If the software REQUIRES the version of libboost from Debian Buster, it won't work on Debian Stretch.
jemail (Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:44 am)

lele

Unread post by lele » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:03 am

ok, any clue at all on where to look? I think it started to come up after I installed docker but not 100% sure. Still, I can't imagine installing a package might do this?

to clarify, Initially it DID reboot so I'm not saying there is a problem with the image, just some help troubleshooting

Thanks!
meveric wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:28 am
lele wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks
I don't know what is causing this, I use the reboot commands on my Debian Stretch images all the time and they are working.
Without UART I doubt you will get any clue what is causing this.

lele

Unread post by lele » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:11 am

Thanks, I did but I get the same result..weird!
jemail wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:23 am
lele wrote:

Any ideas?

Thanks
Try

shutdown
command instead. Have a look at the man page for shutdown, you can reboot, halt and poweroff using shutdown.

jemail

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:14 am

lele wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:03 am
ok, any clue at all on where to look? I think it started to come up after I installed docker but not 100% sure. Still, I can't imagine installing a package might do this?

to clarify, Initially it DID reboot so I'm not saying there is a problem with the image, just some help troubleshooting

Thanks!
hmm docker does some strange things to the OS, I wouldn't be surprised if it's at least in part responsible for it.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:53 am

jemail wrote:
@meveric

Thanks,
jemail
viewtopic.php?p=254171#p254171

you should be able to install it with apt install -t stretch qbittorrent-nox

No clue if it's working, let me know :)
jemail (Wed May 01, 2019 12:23 am)

lele

Unread post by lele » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:46 am

(reboot problem solved by starting over. Absolutely no idea what went wrong)

I have another question on this OS. I want to have a recovery drive to use for backup and OS updates. What's the best way to do this?

I was thinking to tweak boot.ini to point to the root FS of the recovery drive when I need it (root=UUID=***recovery***) but seems dangerous. I would much rather have a boot priority set up where if it detects the recovery drive it boots there, otherwise it uses the default option (root=UUID=***normal***)

Problem is that I have zero experience in U-Boot and it's easy to mess things up without a decent manual (which I couldn't find so far)

Can U-Boot have more than one root destination? Or better use an if/fi loop? In this case I need to understand how U-boot detects if the drive is present..

Any idea?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:32 am

lele wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:46 am
t.
I was thinking to tweak boot.ini to point to the root FS of the recovery drive when I need it (root=UUID=***recovery***) but seems dangerous.
This would work, you can create a different rootfs partition with your "recovery-image" and it's own /etc/fstab, and then swith between both by altering the boot.ini root= entry.
lele wrote:
I would much rather have a boot priority set up where if it detects the recovery drive it boots there, otherwise it uses the default option (root=UUID=***normal***)
This might work, although I've never tried this.
lele wrote:
Problem is that I have zero experience in U-Boot and it's easy to mess things up without a decent manual (which I couldn't find so far)
Yes I think that's a common problem.
There's also something like grub for u-boot which could make things easier, but I've never used it.
lele wrote:
Can U-Boot have more than one root destination? Or better use an if/fi loop?
if/fi is not a "loop" that's a comparison of statements, and not a loop that is done over and over and over again.
But yes, u-boot supports if statements, you can check this here: https://github.com/mdrjr/5422_bootini/b ... #L240-L241
lele wrote:
In this case I need to understand how U-boot detects if the drive is present..
u-boot loads the Kernel and Initramfs (uInitrd) which has a set of minimal drivers, which then points to the rootfs, same as on a system with grub where it also points to root=....
So you only have to point to the correct rootfs, and I think it should be possible to do this with an if statement.
lele wrote:
Any idea?
The easiest is probably to manually edit the boot.ini file to choose the rootfs you want... there might be a way to do it automatically with a file check to see if device/file exists, but I've never tried.
Here are some commits that suggest a check for a file (devices are handles as files as well) exists or not exists and could be used for that:
https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/ ... 69120.html
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/316302/

lele

Unread post by lele » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 am

Thanks Meveric (yes the if/fi being a "loop" was just a typo, it's late :)

lele

Unread post by lele » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:18 pm

Meveric, tried to boot from a different UUID located on /dev/sda2 (ext4) on (USB3 pen drive) but it not boot at all. Didn't have any issues with Jessie. Has something changed in the way the kernel sees the USB drives at boot?

Almost looks like it expects to boot uniquely from MMC, i.e. before it gets to mount any USB drives

Let me know if this is meant to be this way thanks

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:33 pm

as long as UUID in /etc/fstab on the USB matches the UUID of the partition it should work fine.
Debian Stretch is a little bit more picky if the partitions in /etc/fstab "does not exist".

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Wed May 01, 2019 12:35 am

meveric wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:53 am
jemail wrote:
@meveric

Thanks,
jemail
viewtopic.php?p=254171#p254171

you should be able to install it with apt install -t stretch qbittorrent-nox

No clue if it's working, let me know :)
Hi,

Your backport installs and runs, but I have question. The version installed is qbittorrent-nox (3.3.7-3), the version on buster is qbittorrent-nox (4.1.5-1). I was hoping that the same version would be installed from your repo. Maybe I just don't understand backporting?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 01, 2019 2:23 am

apt-cache policy qbittorrent-nox
qbittorrent-nox:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.3.7-3
  Version table:
     4.1.5-1~bpo9 100
        100 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric stretch/backports armhf Packages
     3.3.7-3 500
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch/main armhf Packages
3.3.7 is the version of Debian Stretch, the backport from me has 4.1.5, so it installed the wrong version for you.
Have you done and apt update first?
jemail (Wed May 01, 2019 5:18 am)

MichaIng

Unread post by MichaIng » Wed May 01, 2019 3:37 am

We face an issue with Kodi currently:
- Kodi starts but it quickly freezes when playing video content.
- All X.org settings + mali driver are as desired. Especially malit628-odroid + xf86-video-armsoc-odroid packages have been reinstalled which refreshes xorg.conf and creates all required libGLES/libEGL => libMali symlinks.
- Has been verified on two different systems, but we have currently no idea what might be the issue, also since X.org log does not contain any errors.

Related GitHub issue: https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issu ... -488063183
Perhaps someone has a clue what might be missing or could be tested?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 01, 2019 4:10 am

lots of talking going on there :D
Next time tell Fourdee to contact me directly and I could have tried fixing this with him together much earlier :D
https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issu ... -487764010
this one.. don't do that... fbset only causes issue, and doesn't work on most boards, in fact on the AmLogic boards you most likely break desktop as it will try to switch resolution, which is not supported by the driver and your system needs to be rebooted, even if you only did a Kernel/Initramfs update, so please don't do this ;)

Also forget about Kodi 18, it's a very big mess and nothing works as it worked before, Kodi 18 does no longer support X11, in the past change of resolution was done by xrandr from Kodi, but since Kodi 18 no longer has X11 support xrandr is also no longer supported, which is probably the reason why RPi does a workaround with fbset, but that doesn't work here.

Also, since Kodi playback is freezing, have you ever considered checking the KODI log, instead of xorg and such? :D
What about hardware decoding, the few seconds where it's working, does it use hardware decoding or something else? (press "o" while movie is playing).
What about Desktop? Anything installed, or are you running it via startx?

Another idea, since I read something about sound issues, and if I remember correctly, DietPi has the terrible habit of running everything as "root" (very bad practice in my opinion).
Kodi by default uses "pulseaudio" pulseaudio does also per default do NOT run for the user "root" (another reason why you should use a separate user).
Maybe running pulseaudio as a daemon can help, or forceing pulseaudio to be ignored all together, or forcing Kodi to use ALSA instead: https://kodi.wiki/view/PulseAudio#Can_I ... stalled.3F

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Wed May 01, 2019 5:20 am

meveric wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:23 am

apt-cache policy qbittorrent-nox
qbittorrent-nox:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.3.7-3
  Version table:
     4.1.5-1~bpo9 100
        100 https://oph.mdrjr.net/meveric stretch/backports armhf Packages
     3.3.7-3 500
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch/main armhf Packages
3.3.7 is the version of Debian Stretch, the backport from me has 4.1.5, so it installed the wrong version for you.
Have you done and apt update first?
apt update sorted it out. qBitTorrent-nox is working fine for me so far.

Edit: spoke too soon, having problems with webui
I get this error when going to ip_adress:8080:
Unacceptable file type, only regular file is allowed. I am investigating ... This error is to do with a custom alternative WebUi, if I disable the alternative WebUI qbittorrent works great.

Many Thanks,
jemail

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 01, 2019 5:43 am

jemail wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:20 am
Unacceptable file type, only regular file is allowed. I am investigating ... This error is to do with a custom alternative WebUi, if I disable the alternative WebUI qbittorrent works great.
Never used it so I don't know if I can help with it.

jemail

Unread post by jemail » Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 am

meveric wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:43 am
jemail wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:20 am
Never used it so I don't know if I can help with it.
It's no problem, I'll look into it.

I actually have a question about an armv7l rootfs image I have for Void Linux. https://a-hel-fi.m.voidlinux.org/live/c ... 111.tar.xz
Void Linux also do musl builds, which I am curious about.
I am interested to see if this image will work for the Odroid XU4. Could you give me any help on how I use this rootfs image?
How do I get it onto the microSD card?
Do I need to do anything special to get the sdcard to boot?

nn_m

Unread post by nn_m » Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 am

Hi,

For various reasons, I did a reinstall of Stretch on the SD card.
Just a basic

sudo dd bs=1M status='progress' if=Debian-Stretch-1.0~RC2-20180403-XU3-XU4.img of=/dev/sdb
Now when I reboot and use an HMDI out to DVI-D adapter cable to display to my old monitor screen I am seeing a message

random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
I let it run several hours, getting repeating messages every 1-2 minutes about

USB disconnect, device number N
new low-speed USB device number N+1 using xhci-hcd
I guess the next thing is to try a new SD card?

I did see user odroid's answer to a question related to this error message,

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=34655&p=253339&hil ... ng#p253345

But I can't even run dmesg. I hope I haven't fried my Odroid ;- (

Thanks for any ideas.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 02, 2019 2:01 am

jemail wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 am
It's no problem, I'll look into it.

I actually have a question about an armv7l rootfs image I have for Void Linux. https://a-hel-fi.m.voidlinux.org/live/c ... 111.tar.xz
Void Linux also do musl builds, which I am curious about.
I am interested to see if this image will work for the Odroid XU4. Could you give me any help on how I use this rootfs image?
How do I get it onto the microSD card?
Do I need to do anything special to get the sdcard to boot?
Make a backup of /lib/modules and copy that over to the void linux image, aside from that nothing is "needed" to get it working.
Keep the bootfs as is.

Kernel (bootfs) + Modules (/lib/modules) is what an board needs as minimum to boot, the OS itself doesn't really matter as long as it's armhf or armel.
jemail (Thu May 02, 2019 2:41 am)

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 02, 2019 2:04 am

nn_m wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 am

random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting
This means "urandom" writes so many errors, that the "rate-limiting" drops a few (in this case 7).
nn_m wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 am
I let it run several hours, getting repeating messages every 1-2 minutes about

USB disconnect, device number N
new low-speed USB device number N+1 using xhci-hcd
This means an USB device is getting connected and then disconnected again.
Try to remove all USB devices such as mouse, keyboard and external drives during boot.
Add them later when / if the system is running.

back2future

Unread post by back2future » Thu May 02, 2019 2:50 am

[ Maybe that's no page 8 question, but ] Why did you work with Debian OS instead of starting with buildroot for a root file system?

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 02, 2019 2:58 am

back2future wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:50 am
[ Maybe that's no page 8 question, but ] Why did you work with Debian OS instead of starting with buildroot for a root file system?
I wanted a clean Debian Image, so I created my own with debootstrap, that's it.
Or in other words, WHY would you USE buildroot?

back2future

Unread post by back2future » Thu May 02, 2019 7:57 am

Thx for explaining.
We were recommended buildroot because it's rather new to use for arm devices not being embedded arm devices.

nn_m

Unread post by nn_m » Thu May 02, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply!
Try to remove all USB devices such as mouse, keyboard and external drives during boot.
Add them later when / if the system is running.
Now it just hangs at the line

random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed to to ratelimiting
Because the screen isn't scrolling all the time now, I also notice a warning message right after a set of messages like

exymos-bus: new buss device registered: soc:bus_mscl ( 84000 KHz ~ 40000 KHz)
It is

samsung-i2s 38300000.i2s: ASoC: Failed to create component debugfs directory
repeated 2x

When I have time, I'll try reflashing the SD card (or use a different one) and see if that helps.

Thanks for your help

Nn

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Thu May 02, 2019 2:29 pm

back2future wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:57 am
Thx for explaining.
We were recommended buildroot because it's rather new to use for arm devices not being embedded arm devices.
We're working with the XU3/XU4 since 2014, back then no one ever said anything about buildroot.
I doubt it would make anything easier.

MichaIng

Unread post by MichaIng » Fri May 03, 2019 7:21 am

@Meveric
Many thanks for suggestions.

I would love to stay on Kodi 17 with all SBCs, also to not have different major versions with different needs. But Raspbian (EDIT, the Raspberry Pi repo, not Raspbian: https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ ... f/Packages) for a while ships Kodi 18 on their Stretch branch. I did not even recognize until user reports as this is not shipped on Buster. Not the only case where they go strange ways to release things to Stretch directly instead of first using the testing branch...
However as a matter of fact, Kodi 18 requires fbset if you changed console framebuffer: https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... set#p17550
We removed fbset from DietPi dependencies/use long time ago, so I am not happy with this as well... But good to know it might even conflict with earlier Kodi/kodi-odroid.

You say Kodi 18 does not support X11?? Most strange then that on RPi is obviously does! We do no ship anything else and execute Kodi explicitly with xinit (if not run from desktop) and have many reports where Kodi 18 works well with this. Looks like I have to read inside this to avoid surprises.

DietPi runs most software as non-root since a year or such. However jep for Kodi it's still root, indeed something we could adjust by times. However explicitly on XU4 we install pulseaudio (skipping this on all other devices) since according to code comments this solves corrupted sound, and we never had issues with this. But at least something to try, perhaps the prior fix is now a bugs ;).

I thought we already checked the Kodi log but nope we haven't will recheck. Will go through Kodi log, pulseaudio removal and in case ask Fourdee to contact you. Indeed it's kinda hard to debug without the device in front of your ;).

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Fri May 03, 2019 5:45 pm

MichaIng wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:21 am
However as a matter of fact, Kodi 18 requires fbset if you changed console framebuffer: https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php? ... set#p17550
My guess this is very platform specific.
We have Kodi 18 for the XU4, N1 and N2 and none of these uses fbset to change anything.
MichaIng wrote:
You say Kodi 18 does not support X11?? Most strange then that on RPi is obviously does! We do no ship anything else and execute Kodi explicitly with xinit (if not run from desktop) and have many reports where Kodi 18 works well with this. Looks like I have to read inside this to avoid surprises.
you should check cmake/platform/linux/ for Kodi 18, and you'll see that X11 is currently only supported for OpenGL platforms, OpenGL over EGL, there are very few platforms that support this and RPi with it's experimental MESA OpenGL implementation might be the only ARM device that is actually able to do this.
Also there are some implementations, that simply don't care if you start it over X11 or not. For example the Kodi build we have for the ODROID N1 can be started from an X11 desktop but uses GBM instead, and simply circumvents X11 all together, but that depends on the GPU drivers.
MichaIng wrote:
However explicitly on XU4 we install pulseaudio (skipping this on all other devices) since according to code comments this solves corrupted sound, and we never had issues with this.
Which is true for the XU4, but once again, pulseaudio is normally not even used for the user "root" if you try to start pulseaudio as root it will complain and tell you that it will only run if you start it in "system mode" so simply installing pulseaudio does solve nothing, if you still run it as root :)

meaz

Unread post by meaz » Sun May 05, 2019 5:07 pm

MichaIng wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:46 pm
@meaz
Just a last try, as I am not sure how Kodi scans for CEC devices:

ln -s /dev/cec0 /dev/CEC
When I do that, I have a message on Kodi "Pulse-eight connecting". The peripherals options in Settings/System/Input is now available.
However, Pulse-eight doesn't seem to be connected, I don't have any message saying it does, nor can I control kodi with my tv controller.

In Kodi log, i have:

10:17:36.583 T:2934960880   ERROR: CecLogMessage - Write: write failed !
However /dev/cec0 is set to 666

cec-client
gives:

cec-client
No device type given. Using 'recording device'
CEC Parser created - libCEC version 4.0.1
no serial port given. trying autodetect: 
 path:     /dev/CEC
 com port: Exynos

opening a connection to the CEC adapter...
DEBUG:   [             723]	Broadcast (F): osd name set to 'Broadcast'
NOTICE:  [             723]	connection opened
DEBUG:   [             723]	<< Broadcast (F) -> TV (0): POLL
DEBUG:   [             723]	processor thread started
TRAFFIC: [             723]	<< f0
ERROR:   [             723]	Write: write failed !
TRAFFIC: [             723]	<< f0
DEBUG:   [             723]	>> POLL not sent
DEBUG:   [             723]	TV (0): device status changed into 'not present'
NOTICE:  [             723]	registering new CEC client - v4.0.1
DEBUG:   [             723]	detecting logical address for type 'recording device'
DEBUG:   [             723]	trying logical address 'Recorder 1'
DEBUG:   [             723]	<< Recorder 1 (1) -> Recorder 1 (1): POLL
TRAFFIC: [             723]	<< 11
waiting for input
TRAFFIC: [             723]	<< 11
DEBUG:   [             723]	>> POLL not sent
DEBUG:   [             723]	using logical address 'Recorder 1'
DEBUG:   [             723]	Recorder 1 (1): device status changed into 'handled by libCEC'
DEBUG:   [             724]	Recorder 1 (1): power status changed from 'unknown' to 'on'
DEBUG:   [             724]	Recorder 1 (1): vendor = Pulse Eight (001582)
DEBUG:   [             724]	Recorder 1 (1): CEC version 1.4
DEBUG:   [             724]	AllocateLogicalAddresses - device '0', type 'recording device', LA '1'
ERROR:   [             724]	SetLogicalAddresses: IOCTL SetLogicalAddr failed !
DEBUG:   [             724]	Recorder 1 (1): osd name set to 'CECTester'
DEBUG:   [             724]	Recorder 1 (1): menu language set to 'eng'
DEBUG:   [             724]	AutodetectPhysicalAddress - autodetected physical address '1000'
DEBUG:   [             724]	Recorder 1 (1): physical address changed from ffff to 1000
DEBUG:   [             724]	<< Recorder 1 (1) -> broadcast (F): physical address 1000
TRAFFIC: [             724]	<< 1f:84:10:00:01
ERROR:   [             724]	Write: write failed !
TRAFFIC: [             724]	<< 1f:84:10:00:01
NOTICE:  [             724]	CEC client registered: libCEC version = 4.0.1, client version = 4.0.1, firmware version = 0, logical address(es) = Recorder 1 (1) , physical address: 1.0.0.0, compiled on Linux-4.14.107+ ... , features: P8_USB, DRM, P8_detect, randr, Exynos
DEBUG:   [             724]	<< Recorder 1 (1) -> TV (0): OSD name 'CECTester'
DEBUG:   [             724]	<< Recorder 1 (1) -> TV (0): POLL
TRAFFIC: [             724]	<< 10
DEBUG:   [             724]	>> POLL not sent
DEBUG:   [             724]	not sending command 'set osd name': destination device 'TV' marked as not present
DEBUG:   [             724]	<< requesting power status of 'TV' (0)
DEBUG:   [             724]	<< Recorder 1 (1) -> TV (0): POLL
DEBUG:   [             724]	>> POLL not sent
DEBUG:   [             724]	not sending command 'give device power status': destination device 'TV' marked as not present
I don't know where to look for more debug info...

Also,

ln -s /dev/cec0 /dev/CEC
is gone after reboot...

meaz

Unread post by meaz » Wed May 08, 2019 3:14 pm

I've tried to find an answer to the CEC problem, but can't find one...

cec-client -l
gives

libCEC version: 4.0.1, compiled on Linux-4.14.107+ ... , features: P8_USB, DRM, P8_detect, randr, Exynos
Found devices: 1

device:              1
com port:            Exynos
ERROR:   [             532]	SetLogicalAddresses: IOCTL SetLogicalAddr failed !
vendor id:           0000
product id:          0000
firmware version:    0
type:                unknown
Why is the com port "Exynos", and not /dev/cec0 or /dev/CEC ?

From there, I don't know what to do. I don't understand what this SetLogcialAddr error.

I followed what meveric told me to hae CEC working though...
Last edited by meaz on Wed May 08, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meveric

Unread post by meveric » Wed May 08, 2019 3:21 pm

I tried looking into the issue as well and couldn't find a solution either.
Not sure if it's the Kernel driver or something else.

There are some new tools that come with CEC now... cec-ctl and cec-compliance I set the cec device in different modes, like tv, playback, tuner, etc. but cec-compliance always fails to test the device.
Google wasn't very helpful either. So I'm not sure if CEC is still working under Kernel 4.14 or not.
The same driver works fine under Kernel 3.10 so I'd say the real issue is Kernel 4.14 here.

Return to “Other OS”