Alpine Linux

odcomp
languages_spoken: english
ODROIDs: Odroid c2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Alpine Linux

Post by odcomp »

I tried alpine linux on my raspberry pi 2 and it performs really fast. I think it is the fastest distro for soc boards out there. It would be really great if it would run also on the odroid c2.

Here from the raspberry pi forum:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...56&t=60569

--------------------------------------------------
Here are some distro's I compared and the minimal memory they need for still giving you a desktop (without nearly anything running!):
Puppy: 80Mb
Debian 6.03 standard: 64Mb
AntiX: 64Mb
Connochaet: 64Mb
Tiny Core Linux: 48Mb
Slitaz LowRam-CD: 48Mb
Alpine Linux: 28Mb (still able to open and run mc and more !)
Delicate: 16Mb (unable to open xterm)
------------------------------------------------------

And here from the alpine linux website:

https://alpinelinux.org/about/

ABOUT
Alpine Linux is an independent, non-commercial, general purpose Linux distribution designed for power users who appreciate security, simplicity and resource efficiency.

SMALL
Alpine Linux is built around musl libc and busybox. This makes it smaller and more resource efficient than traditional GNU/Linux distributions. A container requires no more than 8 MB and a minimal installation to disk requires around 130 MB of storage. Not only do you get a fully-fledged Linux environment but a large selection of packages from the repository.

Binary packages are thinned out and split, giving you even more control over what you install, which in turn keeps your environment as small and efficient as possible.

SIMPLE
Alpine Linux is a very simple distribution that will try to stay out of your way. It uses its own package manager called apk, the OpenRC init system, script driven set-ups and that’s it! This provides you with a simple, crystal-clear Linux environment without all the noise. You can then add on top of that just the packages you need for your project, so whether it’s building a home PVR, or an iSCSI storage controller, a wafer-thin mail server container, or a rock-solid embedded switch, nothing else will get in the way.

SECURE
Alpine Linux was designed with security in mind. The kernel is patched with an unofficial port of grsecurity/PaX, and all userland binaries are compiled as Position Independent Executables (PIE) with stack smashing protection. These proactive security features prevent exploitation of entire classes of zero-day and other vulnerabilities.

So, from what i know, alpine linux would be ideal for soc boards to have a fast desktop.

rooted

Re: Alpine Linux

Post by rooted »

Doesn't seem like it would be hard to get it running, there any reason why you haven't tried?

odcomp

Post by odcomp »

There is only an image for the raspberry pi, so i tried it on the raspberry pi to see how it performs. There is also an image for the arm architecture but i think the kernel would not really support the odroid c2 to have graphic hardware acceleration. I have not the knowledge to compile the kernel for the odroid c2. How is the support for the odroid c2 in the mainline kernel?

rooted

Post by rooted »

odcomp wrote: How is the support for the odroid c2 in the mainline kernel?
Almost there, I will link the thread for mainline.

viewtopic.php?t=22717

You could use the "MINI ROOT FILESYSTEM" and chroot into it for testing.

umiddelb
languages_spoken: English, German
ODROIDs: ODROID-C1, ODROID-XU4, ODROID-C2

Post by umiddelb »

I've played a little bit with setting up alpine on the c2, so you might find something interesting here.

odcomp

Post by odcomp »

Thank you for your replies. I will test alpine linux with the mainline kernel at the weekend. For what i read, only emmc support is still a problem, i will test it with a sd card.

There are 2 arm versions, armhf and aarch64. I think i have to use armhf, or?

Is there a tutorial to compile the amlogic supported kernel? Perhaps i will try it, if the mainline kernel don't fit my needs. For all there is a first time :-)

umiddelb

Post by umiddelb »

odcomp wrote:Thank you for your replies. I will test alpine linux with the mainline kernel at the weekend. For what i read, only emmc support is still a problem, i will test it with a sd card.
The emmc problem appeared first in 4.15-rc1, lowering the emmc frequency from 200 MHz to 150 MHz solved the issue in 4.15. Starting with 4.16-rc1 the emmc frequency has to be set to 100 MHz.
odcomp wrote:There are 2 arm versions, armhf and aarch64. I think i have to use armhf, or?
I've tried the aarch64 variant only, but armhf is supposed to work as well.
odcomp wrote: Is there a tutorial to compile the amlogic supported kernel? Perhaps i will try it, if the mainline kernel don't fit my needs. For all there is a first time :-)
This example here might be helpful.

odcomp

Post by odcomp »

Thank you for the link. Is it possible to compile the odroid c2 kernel also for the aarch64 version or only for the armhf version. Because i think android for the odroid c2 is only 32 bit.

Do you already compiled the kernel in alpine linux?

The next question would be about dependencies. Are all dependencies in alpine linux there via package management? Because to compile also the dependencies would be much work.

umiddelb

Post by umiddelb »

odcomp wrote:Thank you for the link. Is it possible to compile the odroid c2 kernel also for the aarch64 version or only for the armhf version. Because i think android for the odroid c2 is only 32 bit.
The kernel is always a 64 bit kernel, the userland can be 32 bit or 64 bit or both.
odcomp wrote:Do you already compiled the kernel in alpine linux?
The kernel is not made for a specific linux distribution. You can find a prebuilt image here.
odcomp wrote:The next question would be about dependencies. Are all dependencies in alpine linux there via package management? Because to compile also the dependencies would be much work.
Yes, of cause.

odcomp

Post by odcomp »

Thank you for your help, so i will try and post my experience :-)

odcomp

Post by odcomp »

I managed now to get alpine linux running on my odroid c2. The scripts from umiddelb are working very well:

https://github.com/umiddelb/z2d/tree/master/odroid-c2

Important is to run these script on your odroid for example with ubuntu, because the scripts make a chroot install and would not work on a other architecture.

What i still did not archieve is to get a xserver running ... we will see.

bmentink
ODROIDs: XU3, XU4

Post by bmentink »

I know this thread is old, but anyone have X going yet?

Return to “Other OS”